hi everyone

i did that thing where you nab the files off other peoples iPods, (the show hidden files and folders thing) to my gf's iPod. anyway when you do that, you get all the tracks, but their called a random 4 character name (eg ZXTC) instead of their actual name and in random folders (eg F02). now they're a mix of MPEG4 and Mp3 files, but i can only preview the names of the Mp3 ones (by right clicking and viewing properties.) The only way i can see the details for the MPEG4 tracks is by opening them in iTunes, and half of them i already have and a whole shed load i dont want. Im using just normal windows xp home, and atm all her iPod music is in one new folder i made on my desktop.

so my question is as follows...

is there a better way to sort through what i want and dont want? other than opening each one individually and then either deleting or keeping it? maybe i should move them all into a new folder in the 'My Music' folder, sync that into iTunes, into a new playlist (or order entire library by date added) then go through and say move files to trash when i dont want them or something. then id have to sort them out into albums and artists after i spose.

anyway ive only been on windows for a few months, im actually a mac man, but the laptop was free so i said ok!

any advice? or questions since that probably made no sense at all?!

cheers in advance

Tim Orme Esq
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
Yes. You can get programmes specifically for it. I have EphPod.

Edit: That is instead of your method. I would liken the way you did it to using a sledgehammer to crack open a walnut.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
Yes. You can get programmes specifically for it. I have EphPod.

Edit: That is instead of your method. I would liken the way you did it to using a sledgehammer to crack open a walnut.

yeha i agree with you, ive done it loads of times before, and i never bothered with programs like EphPod because i was on a mac until now. theres not a huge amount to do, i only wanted like 150 or her 900 songs, just wondering how you'd go about it. other than your simple logical method lol...

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
Right click on the tab with all the things to sort the files in the folder by. you know the think with name, size, type. yeah. right click on that thing and check off artist and title.
Quote by Tim_Orme_Esq
yeha i agree with you, ive done it loads of times before, and i never bothered with programs like EphPod because i was on a mac until now. theres not a huge amount to do, i only wanted like 150 or her 900 songs, just wondering how you'd go about it. other than your simple logical method lol...

Put simply, you cant.
Meh, whenever I do that I just do "add folder to library"

Then all the songs have all the info, and you organize them by date added, and delete what you already have.

I find the downloadable programs to be really glitchy and annoying, so I always transfer music this way.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178

Then all the songs have all the info, and you organize them by date added, and delete what you already have.

I find the downloadable programs to be really glitchy and annoying, so I always transfer music this way.

With EphPod, I have yet to encounter a glitch. Knock on wood...
Quote by hamish5178

i take it you mean in iTunes then file>add to library ?

and if so, since im adding the folder from the desktop, does this automatically add all the songs into your 'My Music' folder as well? sorted into artists and albums? or do you need to do that manually?

Quote by civildp1

Quote by SupremeACL
Quote by Tim_Orme_Esq
hi everyone

i did that thing where you nab the files off other peoples iPods, (the show hidden files and folders thing) to my gf's iPod. anyway when you do that, you get all the tracks, but their called a random 4 character name (eg ZXTC) instead of their actual name and in random folders (eg F02). now they're a mix of MPEG4 and Mp3 files, but i can only preview the names of the Mp3 ones (by right clicking and viewing properties.) The only way i can see the details for the MPEG4 tracks is by opening them in iTunes, and half of them i already have and a whole shed load i dont want. Im using just normal windows xp home, and atm all her iPod music is in one new folder i made on my desktop.

so my question is as follows...

is there a better way to sort through what i want and dont want? other than opening each one individually and then either deleting or keeping it? maybe i should move them all into a new folder in the 'My Music' folder, sync that into iTunes, into a new playlist (or order entire library by date added) then go through and say move files to trash when i dont want them or something. then id have to sort them out into albums and artists after i spose.

anyway ive only been on windows for a few months, im actually a mac man, but the laptop was free so i said ok!

any advice? or questions since that probably made no sense at all?!

cheers in advance

Tim Orme Esq

Well, you could go to My Computer>Press Ctrl + F to search. The tick music and click 'Use Advanced Search Options'. In there, specify the folder where your music is, and if the files are hidden, like on your iPod, Click more advanced options and tick the box saying 'Search hidden files and folders' Search away for the song / artist / album you want. If you don't want to use a program that is...
Edit: You still have to rename them, just not sift through them looking.
-

Last edited by Aléx at Mar 4, 2007,