Hi all. This is my first post on UG. Looking forward to many more.

I'm presently looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe LTD. Emerald Green amp, which is a special edition amp with an upgraded speaker (12" Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker). I plan to use it with an American Deluxe strat. I'm looking for a good Texas blues, SRV kind of sound, but with versatility to play classic or hard rock, on occasion.

What are your opinions on this amp? For the $650 that this amp costs, are there other, better choices that I should consider?

Thanks for your help.
It sounds like a good choice for your situation. Go try one out.

EDIT:
You could also save up a bit more and go for the $1000 Vibrolux; which is more like a Vibroverb, which SRV used.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Mar 4, 2007,
I reckon it's a good amp for that sort of stuff

Go for it
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Quote by fivebyfive2470
ttt

No need to bump that soon, give people time to answer.

THe HRD is a great sounding amp and should be able to pull of the tones you want with no problem.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
How about the hot rod deville? A Blues Deville? I saw one today at Motor City Guitar, priced at about $829. Nice amp. Should I spend the extra cash to move up from the deluxe to the deville? I need help as I'm not real strong on my amp knowledge.

Thanks.
I'd have thought a blues deville was nicer than an HRD for those tones...

also, depending on how often you want to pull off the harder, rockier tones, take a look at some traynors- probably the ycv40 as it has 6l6's. The cleans aren't just as nice (but are still good), but you gain a lot more than you lose in terms of the quality of the overdrive. Depends how much you need the overdrive, of course.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fivebyfive2470
Should I spend the extra cash to move up from the deluxe to the deville?

Probably not.

I doubt you'll need the extra power the Deville brings, unless you're looking for the extra clean headroom. If you're looking for power tube saturation, you're actually better off with the smaller amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ aye, but i thought the (preamp) od on the blues deluxe was less modern, which could help. though, you're correct about the wattage, I forgot they weren't the same. EDIT: also, if the overdrive's what you're worried about, I'd be looking at the traynors. Cheaper, too.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ aye, but i thought the (preamp) od on the blues deluxe was less modern, which could help.

Both the Blues and Hot Rod come in Deluxe or DeVille sizes.

I'd also lean towards the Blues Deluxe.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ ah. my lack of knowledge of fenders is coming back to haunt me!

yeah, the blues one in the 40 watts size, that'd be my pick- that's blues deluxe, right?

also, as mentioned, traynor if OD is more than a little important, and you're willing to sacrifice cleans slightly for them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?