Page 1 of 2
Alright, a buddy of mine is really into the band Dragonforce and he's looking for a tone similar to Herman Li's. His current setup is an Ibanez RG350EXBK guitar, a Fender FM212R 100 watt amp, DOD Death Metal distortion pedal, and a Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah. Does anyone have any suggestions on what amps, effects, etc. he can get on an affordable(student) budget?? Anything would be much aprreciated.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
He uses the old skool digitech whammy pedals I believe. They cost about 1000$ now because they are discontinued.
Quote by lemon
Sound enhancement pedals

lollin

But for serious, look into DiMarzio Evolutions, an Ibanez Weeping Demon, Digitech Whammy, and a guitar with a tremelo bar (if that one doesnt, I didnt check). A nice Laney amp would be the best option, but Im assuming thatd be a little out of the price range.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The whammy pedal does not cost anywhere near $1000, the WH1 doesn't even cost that much. Installing Evo's isn't going to get him much closer to a crappy DF tone.
How about a distortion stompbox??
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
I saw a OLD digitech whammy, it was black go for 1000 on ebay. He used those for their first US album.

Edit: The whammy Im talking about is the same as the W2, but in a black case. I don't think it goes for 1000$ with even the black case, so I must have been confused.

He also uses the Digitech XP-100 Whammy-Wah
Last edited by georgeazguitar at Mar 4, 2007,
I don't remember, maybe it was something else this was like a year ago. 1000$ for a whammy is a hell lot
Quote by georgeazguitar
I saw a OLD digitech whammy, it was black go for 1000 on ebay. He used those for their first US album.

Edit: The whammy Im talking about is the same as the W2, but in a black case. I don't think it goes for 1000$ with even the black case, so I must have been confused.

He also uses the Digitech XP-100 Whammy-Wah

The ones you're talking about are the Digitech Whammy IIs, and they all come in a black case. Also, they're nowhere near $1000USD. There's one on eBay right now at $200 with 20 hours left in the auction.

Anyways, to the OP, the Death Metal Distortion has way too much drive for a DF tone, and they use Evos apparently, so whatever.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Even if they both use Evo's, if he installs a pair of Evo's he's not going to have that crappy DF sound. A pickup change is not going to be that drastic in his situation.
You can get the original whammy for around 350 to 400$ CAD on ebay.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
He could just pick up a used WH-4 (if he wanted to get the whammy) for about $120-$140. I'm sure he wouldn't even be able to notice the small difference (tonally) between the WH1 and the WH4.
Laney valve amp and inhuman shredding skillz.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass

Neither Herman nor Sam have skills of any kind, especially when it comes to guitar.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by guitaristclass

Thanks for the laugh. I don't think he's looking for a new amp either.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Neither Herman nor Sam have skills of any kind, especially when it comes to guitar.

They are fantastic guitarists, you have to admit. But they are not great musicians.

Mr. Li shredding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGumLj9UDBk
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
They are fantastic guitarists, you have to admit. But they are not great musicians.

Mr. Li shredding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGumLj9UDBk

Sam Totman really isn't any good, all i see and hear from Herman Li is what i see on every other youtube 'shred' video.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
yeah sam just does the same thing all the time check out the string torture video if you can find it. herman on the other hand might not have much feeling but he sure can shred
Herman is fast. Sam doesn't get to do anything because he has to play power chords for herman because he is always doing the leads. I think sam wants to be in it for the fame and beer. hahahaha
such an anti dragonforce tone by people on this site - why?

theyre fun guys just havin a bit of fun, i can think of much much worse, like lame "The" bands
Quote by Guitarmiester
'Fantastic guitarists'... that's being very generous.

i was about to post that. It's a great summary really.
Quote by Qazxs
Yeah haha I was feeling generous but I would love to have that kind of techncal knowledge, ah well I'll stick to electic as my play around guitar style (i <3 classical).
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Technical knowledge? He's just playing 3 note per string major scales. And he (herman that is) can't even tell you what he's playing, while 'teaching' for an instructional video.
Quote by Qazxs
Ah in that case I'll shut up and so away.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
I had a feeling all of this was bound to happen....Herman and Sam do have talent but they're too drunk half of the time to show it. Their instructional in the Young Guitar DVD was really good btw. Ok, so I have the basic equip. but are there any distortion pedals that'll help get their kinda tone??
most of you should get lives and get out your bedrooms (like im trying to do) before putting people down.

i think if they make a couple of thousand people happy at least, then theyre worth while, regardless if theyre doing scales that defy the laws of gravity
DF is on the "bedroom shredder" level as far as technical skills go.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Laney high gain tube heads OR

Marshall JMP-1 preamp + Marshall 50/50 poweramp

Add in some insanely sterile and high output pickups (evos) and you'll be close.
Quote by davedoom
most of you should get lives and get out your bedrooms (like im trying to do) before putting people down.

i think if they make a couple of thousand people happy at least, then theyre worth while, regardless if theyre doing scales that defy the laws of gravity

I'm not putting anyone down purposely, just hoping people realise that they're certainly not amazing in the guitar stakes by any measure. And more power to them for releasing albums that sell worldwide.

I've always quite liked your rig btw, how are the David Gilmour EMG's?
Quote by Qazxs
^ah thanks!

i try for a tone and its so nearly there, my own tone

i would recommend the DG-20 set to anyone, pricey, but best cleans of any set ever and shear power to OD any amp

get them
Gear

Guitars: Ibanez S 6 String - S470SOL, S540TTS, S540BSOL, Prestige S2170FB/FW Ibanez S 7 String - 540S7BK Ibanez RG 6 String - Prestige RGT3170VV Ibanez RG 7 String - RG7620 Ibanez Acoustic - AEF30ETVS DiMarzio Pickups D'Addario Strings

Amplifications, Rig Setup & Misc: Laney TT100H Amplifier Head Laney TT412S Speakers Cabinet Rocktron Prophesy II Rocktron Xpression Rocktron Intellifex XL Rocktron Hush Super-C Rocktron All Access MIDIjet Pro - Wireless Midi System (more info) Korg DTR-1 Shure ULXP4 DigiTech Whammy 2 DigiTech XP100 DigiTech EX-7 Ibanez Weeping Demon Ibanez TS9 Rocktron Banshee Talkbox
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by The_Clap
Gear

Guitars: Ibanez S 6 String - S470SOL, S540TTS, S540BSOL, Prestige S2170FB/FW Ibanez S 7 String - 540S7BK Ibanez RG 6 String - Prestige RGT3170VV Ibanez RG 7 String - RG7620 Ibanez Acoustic - AEF30ETVS DiMarzio Pickups D'Addario Strings

Amplifications, Rig Setup & Misc: Laney TT100H Amplifier Head Laney TT412S Speakers Cabinet Rocktron Prophesy II Rocktron Xpression Rocktron Intellifex XL Rocktron Hush Super-C Rocktron All Access MIDIjet Pro - Wireless Midi System (more info) Korg DTR-1 Shure ULXP4 DigiTech Whammy 2 DigiTech XP100 DigiTech EX-7 Ibanez Weeping Demon Ibanez TS9 Rocktron Banshee Talkbox

yea..uh..already knew what they use..I'm just trying to figure out a setup on a student budget....
hey, i m trying to get a pitch shifter to sound like the whammy he uses.. do u guys know the specs as in what pitch etc..
Page 1 of 2