so, im in a band, and we all get along good and whatever, and the other guitarist has been playing for 2 years, and i can do most of the stuff he can, after one year, except for sweep picking..

and i want to learn how to sweep, im confident that I can ( gotta love how I have a work ethic on guitar, but lazy at everything else )

but no idea where to start

what are some good lessons/videos you all used?
i dont know how to righgt code but just try teh basic minor and major arpeggio shapes as theyre movable so you can use them all over the place, start with maybe the top 3 strings sweeping then maybe build up to full 5 string sweeps.

major
----------------9-12-9
------------10----------10
---------9-------------------9
-----11------------------------11
-12--------------------------------12
----------------------------------------
minor
-------------------------8--12--8----------
-------------------10--------------10-----
--------------9-------------------------9----
---------10-------------------------------10--
---12-----------------------------------------12---
----------------------------------------------------

you can move them about the place
the way i learned how to sweep was i just took all the arpeggios, chord shapes, and other just good sounding progressions i knew and like wrote them down on a piece of paper then practiced them one by one. that worked like a lesson because even tho you can watch tons of videos in the end its just a shitload of practice to the point i sux but also i took solos with sweeping nad i learned them before i was able to sweepand just kept playing the solosand the sweeping became easier and easier but maybe thats just me
I have the same problem, I cant seem to learn to sweep pick.. :/
I learned how to sweep within 6 months of playing, mainly because I was seeking to be a pure metal guitarist. Learn the major and minor arpeggios, slowly learn to sweep them. REMEMBER you want to sweep the same speed thought the sweep, if you dont your doing it wrong and wont progress properly. When you can do this do it for every note on your "A" string except flats/sharps as fast as you can and eventually your sweeping skills will be better and you can go on to harder forms.
im definitely a newcomer to sweeppicking and basically, the way i see it, is work on one thing at a time, and usually you should obviously start with the technique. so just take a pretty easy major or minor arpeggio, and just practice on that, do a few strings of it at first, and then gradually just keep practicing your ass off and it'll come.
Sorry to just jump in here, but what exactly is sweep picking? Like is there a certain technique you apply to it? Do you use your fingers, pick etc?Also, what is an arpeggio? Can someone care to explain? This confuses me....
Quote by ch715dallat
i dont know how to righgt code but just try teh basic minor and major arpeggio shapes as theyre movable so you can use them all over the place, start with maybe the top 3 strings sweeping then maybe build up to full 5 string sweeps.

major
----------------9-12-9

minor

thought i add the codes for yah
So ive been sweep picking for a while also but one thing that has really set me back is about barring certain strings on a sweep.... for example
-----------------12-16-12-------------------|
--------------12------------12--------------|
-----------13------------------13-----------|
--------14------------------------14--------|
-----14------------------------------14-----|
--12------------------------------------12--|

Are you suppose to barr or individually finger the 14's.... when you get higher up the neck it gets more difficult to accurately individually pick these notes.... i figure once i master getting sweep down faster that it really wouldnt matter if i barred... baring gives me more efficiency and speed. but the downside from what i've read that it makes sweep sound more like chords.

One are your opinions on this? Thanks
yeah ive been learning sweeping for a couple of weeks now, and im not really good at it but i can tell you one thing- START SLOW!! if you try to do it fast it will end up a mess with bung notes and most likely you will just give up on it coz it sounds bad..

so if you have guitar pro, or something like that, put in a sweep, for example-

---19-15-------------15-19-15---------------15-19-15--------------15-------
-----------16-----16--------------16------16--------------16----16------------
---------------17-----------------------17----------------------17----------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then put on the speed trainer and slowly build it up.. SLOWLY!!

thats the first pattern i learnt, and i also decided to learn 3 strings, then moved up to 4 and 5 as i got a little better..

but probably the hardest thing is co-ordinating the picking hand moving with the fretting hand..

thats why you gotta take it slow..
MD5K
IBANEZ
i have two issues with sweep picking. first off, just know that im not at the point where i want to just get to some ultimate lead guitar playing status, but like i want to be able to sweep legitimately. one thing that i have trouble with, is like once you get to a point in a sweep, like say your on your high E, and yuo're going from 12 to 15 back to 12 and then back down the arpeggio, i have lots of trouble alternating my picking and continuing. are there any shortcuts or hints i could use?

also, i just need some basic metal arpeggios, like just shapes, somewhat easy. to give an example of where i want to be somewhat soon, is in this All Shall Perish song, Eradication.

its the lead part in the middle of the song. and for lack of better sources, i have to post the myspace link if you want to listen to it.

www.myspace.com/allshallperish

its on there. thank you for any help given. really.
Quote by ch715dallat

major
----------------9-12-9
minor

Sense we are on topic, when you sweep pick, say the major scale there, when you hammer on 12, do you pull off to 9 then start sweep picking from the B string on 10? or do you hammer on 12 then start sweep picking back up on the high E string on 9? Thanks
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett