Does naturally pressing harder on the frets as your fingers strengthen improve the tone as i keep thinking?

Also does anyone have a cure for ripping off the skin on your finger callus and all "over-bending"...Teach me to be a smartass with the "Time" Solo
no, you actually don't want to press harder, it will sound out of tune, you only want to press the string down to the fret. if you have a lighter touch you can play faster too.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
Quote by jhjps
no, you actually don't want to press harder, it will sound out of tune, you only want to press the string down to the fret. if you have a lighter touch you can play faster too.

pressing down harder doesnt make it sound out of tune if u do it right... make sure u are pressing hard straight down and not bending it. i personally think pressing down hard on it makes it sound tightier and beefier (pick it hard too).
Yes it does take it out of tune... The further up the fretboard the more it takes it out of tune. Intonation is set for just putting enough pressure on the strings to depress them to the frets... If you press them until they are pushed all the way down the note goes sharp, and the further you are up the fretboard the more sharp it will go until you aren't even playing the right note.
Quote by skimbleshanks
pressing down harder doesnt make it sound out of tune if u do it right... make sure u are pressing hard straight down and not bending it. i personally think pressing down hard on it makes it sound tightier and beefier (pick it hard too).

Yes it does. Take a chromatic tuner, lightly fret the note, see how in tune it is, then press down harder. It'll go sharp.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
Quote by Jongpil Yun
Yes it does. Take a chromatic tuner, lightly fret the note, see how in tune it is, then press down harder. It'll go sharp.

ur supposed to tune the guitar according to how much pressure u pick and fret. u cant just lightly strum the strings while tuning and them bang the crap out of them while playing.