ok there have been a ton of threads lately including mine regarding the vox ad15vt, ad30vt, and ad50vt. everyone is trying to figure out how to get a better sound out of it, mainly distortion and other effects. so lets make a vox ad thread, post anything relating to these amps. making them sound better, settings, anything. to kick it off, i have a question. everyone talks about replacing the preamp tube in it. which one would be best for what sounds? all right, GO!
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
I've got a Tungsol tube coming next week, will it sound good in my Vox?

Edit: Good idea with an only thread
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Mar 4, 2007,
I've got a Tungsol tube coming next week, will it sound good in my Vox?

Edit: Good idea with an only thread [/QUOTE]

hell ya
Lunatics on pogo sticks
hey listen, i know this might sound noobish, but I have an AD15VT, and i was thinking of replacing the speaker. As you might know, it is a 1 x 8. Can I fit a 10" speaker in there or is 8" the maximum it will fit?

P.S. I know the wattage has to match, this is just a question about the size.
Ben
Would a 12ax7 groove tube be a good replacement for the my Vox AD50VT? Would it make a big difference?
Quote by muffinman123192
hey listen, i know this might sound noobish, but I have an AD15VT, and i was thinking of replacing the speaker. As you might know, it is a 1 x 8. Can I fit a 10" speaker in there or is 8" the maximum it will fit?

P.S. I know the wattage has to match, this is just a question about the size.

no, there wouldnt be enough room for the speaker to be put in there.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by Jakerno
Would a 12ax7 groove tube be a good replacement for the my Vox AD50VT? Would it make a big difference?

I dont think so, that one little tube doesnt make any difference unless it runs out.
^I have a NOS tube in the little bitty Vox, and it sounds much different than it did with the stock tubes.

Quote by echofreak
has anyone changed their speaker in an ad30? does it make a noticeable diffrence? i just bought one of these. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-MOD1035-35W-10-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665016

I don't think that would be a good replacement, it would probably liven up the clean models, but really take the balls out of the distortion models. You want a good neutral-ish voiced speaker to get the most out of all the models . Eminence are a good choice.
Quote by TehJermie

I don't think that would be a good replacement, it would probably liven up the clean models, but really take the balls out of the distortion models. You want a good neutral-ish voiced speaker to get the most out of all the models . Eminence are a good choice.

well i mainly play clean type stuff but , i was worried about that. i might have to invest in a distortion pedal i guess.
I put a Mesa tube in mine, and now it sounds absolutely heavenly.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by echofreak
well i mainly play clean type stuff but , i was worried about that. i might have to invest in a distortion pedal i guess.

Eh, or you could just return it and get a speaker better suited for both applications?
Quote by TehJermie
Eh, or you could just return it and get a speaker better suited for both applications?

its my only amp and i dont feel like waiting. do you really think it will be any worse then the stock speaker?

a speaker that complements the signal without changing the signatures of the amp itself
I also put a Mesa 12AX7 in my amp. A Chinese one. It sounds very different. I'm just having a tiny bit of trouble finding my tone seeing as how I use a pedal. Now my sound is totally different.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
this thread needs to be stickied!!!
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Does anyone have a suggestion for a pedal which I can boost it with. My metalzone is way to trebly and noisy for the job.
Im about to replace the Tube and the Speaker in my Ad30Vt, im hoping for big changes haha
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
fuzz goes great in with these amps. I but the US high gain setting on with very low gain and when I want gain I kick on my Boss Blues Driver of my Big Muff Pi.
Sorry for the cross-posting, but:

Here are some before and after sounds from my AD50VT. The before sounds are with the stock tube, the after sounds are with a Mesa tube.

All recordings were made with a crappy home computer and a simple computer microphone placed in front of the amplifier speaker. Take it for what it's worth, but I'm not jumping for joy about the change. I have yet to decide if I like it better or not.

http://home.comcast.net/~a_haas/index.htm
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
Vox AD50VT
Quote by c10250
Sorry for the cross-posting, but:

Here are some before and after sounds from my AD50VT. The before sounds are with the stock tube, the after sounds are with a Mesa tube.

All recordings were made with a crappy home computer and a simple computer microphone placed in front of the amplifier speaker. Take it for what it's worth, but I'm not jumping for joy about the change. I have yet to decide if I like it better or not.

http://home.comcast.net/~a_haas/index.htm

yeah i dont think it makes as big of a difference as everyone says. if i hear enough people that say it sounds way better i might might try changing mine, but for now i like how it sounds.
I got the AD50. I just picked it up last year.

I swapped out the stock speaker for a Celestion T-75, and it really tightened up the bottom end. The cleans on this amp are just delicious...all of them...and the high gain models are good for just about everything accept for metal. I use an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff with the boutique clean model to get an awesome thrash sound. These really are sweet amps, and they're sooo cheap too.

My only complaint is that at really high volumes, the cabinet vibrates like a mofo. I don't mind though, I just use the amp in my living room.

BTW...I have also tried out a Mesa 12AX7, but I didn't really notice a difference at all. However, changing your speaker completely changes your sound.
Sweet. Unfortunately the AD30VT supports only 10" Speakers. Any 10" speakers that have a good frequency range around?
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
i just put put my new speaker in my ad30, its a jenson mod. i think it improved the sound a little really made the cleans sound better and the mids and dosent really have an effect on the distortion. i can imagine a even nicer speaker would make it sound much better since this was just the cheapest speaker i could find.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Wait... rnrsoldier1461, I though you hated your Vox. What happened?

well if i can change it by modding it a little then ill do that instead of getting another one, i dont have the money
Lunatics on pogo sticks