Needed to make a thread for this.

Got a couple of questions.

I've got a Spider II 30 as you can read in my sig, I however do realise I bought the wrong amp, I want a real sound not this processed crap, i'm sure its good for real beginners, even though I am one.. but i'm quite critical of my playing, low confidence, plus having an ESP ex400 with EMGs I feel I could get a better tone with a better amp that would make me feel better.

I've read places of people trading in amps, what is this? you can trade in an amp? is that a move I could make to get rid of my AMP and buy a new one? or just sell it somehow?

A good amp for my pickups/guitar and playing (rock/metal with some cleans), one that sounds good but not processed electronically, however these line6 do it?

Do combo's come with FX loops? my pedal on my amp seems strange, or is that sounds strange, can only really use it on the clean channel, using it on the others (crunch/metal/insane) I just get a mad loud noise..

Tips/help/recommendations for someone whos not all knowing about guitar gear but wants to feel at home with his guitar and bad playing

Thanks
David
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Sell the amp on eBay.

The fact that the pedal doesn't sound right on you amp is due to the type of amp. If you get an amp without all that digital bullshit in it, the pedal will become much more usable.
if your on a budget look into a used 5150.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
if your on a budget look into a used 5150.

Is this what you mean?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-5150-4x12-Slant-Cab-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ160088704255QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160088704255

Cheap! but good?

Edit: Looks like i'm even more confused and can't read :p
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Last edited by David_VI at Mar 4, 2007,
Sell your amp privately. You can trade it in to many stores, but they won't give you anything close to what you can get on your own.

The 5150's a big, gigging quality amp. I don't know if that's what you need. If you're just looking for better tones at home, you should look at smaller, 15W (or less) tube amps. A 15W valve amp will be louder than your Spider. Laney and Vox make nice ones. If you're on a budget and don't need the volume, you may even look into the 5W Epiphone Valve Junior. You'll need a pedal for metal, but these amps'll all handle hard rock on their own.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, all combo amps aren't like the Spiders right? By ths I mean electronic sounding.. I want a more natural combo. I hear of Vox amps? Cubes? whats the best of the amps in the same area as the Spider II?

One that I can use pedals with and sound good
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Quote by David_VI
Well, all combo amps aren't like the Spiders right? By ths I mean electronic sounding.. I want a more natural combo. I hear of Vox amps? Cubes? whats the best of the amps in the same area as the Spider II?

One that I can use pedals with and sound good

The Vox Valvetronix and Roland Cubes are similar to your Spider, but generally regarded as better. You may not have great results with your pedals with those amps. For a more natual sounding combo -and there are plenty!- you'd be looking for something that's ALL tube (not just a single tube in the pre-amp).

Laney LC or VC, Vox AC, Fender Blues or Pro Jr., all nice smaller all tube amps. All will sound infinitely better with pedals than any of the amp modellers listed above.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Sell your amp privately. You can trade it in to many stores, but they won't give you anything close to what you can get on your own.

The 5150's a big, gigging quality amp. I don't know if that's what you need. If you're just looking for better tones at home, you should look at smaller, 15W (or less) tube amps. A 15W valve amp will be louder than your Spider. Laney and Vox make nice ones. If you're on a budget and don't need the volume, you may even look into the 5W Epiphone Valve Junior. You'll need a pedal for metal, but these amps'll all handle hard rock on their own.

I'm not on a budget exactly, just whatever is worth it and will give what its worth, one i'll buy and not regret buying and enjoy playing with.
I'm one of those low confidence low motivation people who thinks quite negatively a lot , Guitar is one of my escapes but its also a great enemy, my spiders tone makes me feel like crap and then I don't bother to play like I would if my tone sounded great.
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Try out some all tube combos. If you're not planning on gigging, you don't need anything larger than 15W. In fact, you won't WANT anything larger, as tube amps sound best when they're cranked. I've got a half watt amp, a 5W, 12W, etc. I can put them "on 11," and get the best tone out of 'em without hurting my ears. I think that's what you want.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Hmm thanks for your help, really helping me look around and compare amps. The Laney LC15R sounds good, from what I read.. Ok price too I think.

What else goes up well against the Laney LC15R?, are their any better for that price? (its £184 at my local shop and the exact price on an ebay shop).
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Last edited by David_VI at Mar 4, 2007,
I'm in the US, so I'm not entirely up on UK prices, but a quick scan of GAK.UK tells me that the Laney's probably gonna be the best bang for your buck. Maybe look at a couple of the smaller Epiphones, and Peavey's coming out with an inexpensive 5W amp in the next week or two, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Trying to learn to do a lot of research before spending money on something expensive!

Laney LC15R, best amp for me at price range, that will give me headroom to develop my tone without loads of shitty digital processing (Ala Line6 spiders)..
Sound right?

Better than a Cube or other competitive amps in the combo range?

Appreciate your help statsmania, noone else seems to be dipping their wick here!

David
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Laney LC15R, best amp for me at price range, that will give me headroom to develop my tone without loads of shitty digital processing (Ala Line6 spiders)..
Sound right?

Pretty much, you could also look at the Epi Valve Special and the Peavey Nanovalve when it's out next month, but the Laney's a great amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
This oughta warm your heart a little bit, the reviews of the LC15R on Harmony Central.

65 reviewers give it a 9.1 on sound quality.

66 reviewers give it an 8.7 overall rating.

Very solid amp for the money. You'll be pleased with it right out of the box. Over time you can improve it with new tubes or a better speaker, just like you would with almost any amp!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
It sounds better each time but also confuses me even more, the fact it seems not really suited to metal which I 'try' to play most often.

I do wish it was simpler, so many amps, so many cons, so many pros.. Just want what is right for me, my guitar and my tone!

Reading that the Laney isn't suited to metal makes me think maybe there is something better for me, I am playing an ESP Ex400 with EMG pickups for gods sake :p

Still a beginner with one pedal, but onboard effects if good are fine, aslong as I can get good tones out of them on the fly (maybe footswitch)
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
It's tough to find a smaller, relatively inexpensive tube amp that will be designed for metal. These are generally one channel amps that get up to "hard rock" on their own, and that's about it. A quality OD/distortion pedal should get you about where you want to be. And, down the road, you can swap out the tubes to fine-tune the sound of the amp more towards what you're looking for.

There are guys here who play metal thru a Fender Blues Junior. Don't get too hung up on the "not great for metal" in the reviews. The tone on this thing will blow away your current amps. I strongly suspect you'll be able to find a sound you like.

Try out the amp first, if you can, and test drive a bunch of OD pedals, too. Best if you can try 'em out together.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.