This is my fifth year playing guitar, and I feel good about my playing, but there's one thing that really annoys me. My left hand(fretting) is much quicker than my right hand(picking). Also a thing is, I've had this problem for a long time, and some time ago I broke a bone in my right wrist, and things became worse. In the past week I played too much guitar and now my muscles in my right arm hurt. I really want my right hand to be as fast as my left. Is there anything you can do to train your right hand to go faster? Exercises?
YeahYeahYeahYeah

whoweare
my right hand is alot slower so cant fly down fret board cause cant pick as fast
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
practice simple routines and patterns, scales and basicly the more you play your hands will become more co-ordinated i used to have this problem but its alright now
yeah eventually it will be ok but cause im left handed i should of learnt left handed cause my picking would be alot better
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Practice chromatic patterns to a metronome, and gradually build up speeds. Start at 80 bpm and when you can do it cleanly at that pace and feel comfortable move it up to 90 bpms etc. Just do each different speed for a few days or a week and build up slowly. This method got me up to sixteenth notes at 200 bpms so it definetely works. good luck.
Tool kicks ass
how long that take you?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Guess I'll just do what you say, practise with a metronome.
YeahYeahYeahYeah

whoweare
Practise your tremolo picking with a metronome.

Also if you're getting joint pains you should take some cod liver capsules or something.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Also, try to remove as much tension as possible. Tension = bad. Slows you down and causes pain.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
the advise about cromatic skale and metronome is ok, but i will add some points about this: 1 do cromatic scale as a warm-up-routine first, without thinking about the speed, play it quite slow and easy, first you pick 4 times on each note, then 3, 2 and 1, use at least 5 minutes on this, all over the fretboard before you start doing anything else. 1when you build up speed, you often speed up to early, the smartest thing to do is to play real slow, really concentrated focusing on correct movement in both hands (as small and presice movement as possible), and then speed it up, play slow and fast alternate.

This way of practising helped me alot, still i have much to learn...

my stuff:
Morgan Jazz
Hagstrom superswede 81
Ibanez rg (expensive one ha, ha, ha)
Marshall 2551
korg ax 3000
crybaby
Quote by PollutedSoul
Yeah seriously, my right hand is way slower =/. And not as coordinated as my left one.

There is really one answer for all of you, but I don't want my ass banned nor flamed so you'll have to think about it yourself.

As for seriousness, do regular chromatic patterns, ascending/descending down all the strings, use a metronome, and make sure your strokes are the same length, if you will. IE, your pick should move about the same distance up and/or down, every time and at any time. Do this to a metronome-click, and this will help in consistency, a lot.

And use a metronome.

Edit:
yeah eventually it will be ok but cause im left handed i should of learnt left handed cause my picking would be alot better

Bull. Shit.

IMHO this is an excuse, and excuses are only ways of trying to get out of practice.

One more thing though, I forgot to mention as well, DO NOT force it. Your muscles WILL have to grow, so take it slow and easy. (I know someone already mentioned this, for a fact.)

Metronome.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 5, 2007,