What is the best, most versatile metal head under a grand. Im looking to play anything from RATM to Pantera. Im playing a Schecter with active pickups. Thanks for your help.
b-52?
the "poor man's mesa"?

that's the only one i can think of

maybe a used marshall

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by llanafreak44

+1
5150/6505s rock
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah 5150/6505 hands down for you bro,
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
how much are brand new 5150s
ive seen i can get a used one for 600 on ebay
should i go new or used?
6505/5150 for mad, brutal distortion but not best of cleans
JSX for versatility, nice cleans and quite nice distortion
XXX for Very nice cleans, and slightly less distortion
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
they must have been using different tubes, because the 5150/6505 and 5150 II/6505+ are the same amps, just a name change after EVH left. You may be thinking the combo, because it's supposedly biased hotter from the factory.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
How much are ENGL powerballs and savages now? They might be worth a looksee.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Guitarmiester
Go with a 5150, the clean channel is a little better than the sterile cleans on the 6505.

Erm, they're exactly the same, the only reason they have different names is because Van Halen stopped endorsing Peavey...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Erock503
they must have been using different tubes, because the 5150/6505 and 5150 II/6505+ are the same amps, just a name change after EVH left. You may be thinking the combo, because it's supposedly biased hotter from the factory.

I've played both the 6505 combo and the 6505+ paired with a Peavey XXX cab. I'm pretty sure the 5150 I played did not have stock tubes, that's most likely why.
yeah, that's probably why. I've heard a lot of guys swap the preamp tubes for lower gain to help the cleans, and since it has so much gain already, it's really doesn't hurt it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
could a tubescreamer help the clean channel or is there another pedal that would work fine?
also what cab would pair best with the head
id prefer to have vintage 30s in the cab too.
thanks
tubescreamer will add boost or gain, so I don't think that's what you want for a clean channel. A little chorus and/or reverb will really help cleans in general however. One of the more popular metal setups I've seen that sounds really good is using a Marshall 1960A, or AV if you want V30's, paired with the head.
amp clips
amp vids
Marshall JCM 2000, is deffinitely the most versitile. It has great distortion and cleans. It cant do like death metal or metalcore by itself tho. But it can reach Pantera easily. If you get an eq pedal and a distortion pedal it can do more heavily distorted stuff, but on its own it can easily do RATM and Pantera, and you still have an awesome clean channel which is really important too. Maybe im a bit biased cuz i have one but i picked it when i easily couldve afforded a Mesa or a 6505.
Quote by davedoom
5150, dont hold up for anything else from it though

Isn't it better to buy an Mesa Boogie for 1300$?
Are those peavey's as good as Mesa head ?
its a fight between Made in China and Handmade in USA