hey wasup
I was moving around my amp today and all the knobs were moved and my tone was lost. Im now looking around for a heavy metal tone to experiment with. Im kinda newbish when it comes to tone and finding the right one for me. So, if anyone could suggest a tone for me i would really appreciate it

My gear
Ibanez RG4EXQM1<-----guitar
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT <-----amp
Digitech RP350 <---multi effects pedal

My favorite bands are Iron Maiden and Children of Bodom.

Thanx a lot
start off with the bass and work ur way up for most metal put mid to 0
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
Bass: 9
Mid: 2
Treble: 7
Gain: 8

Try that, the trick is to whack the bass up, turn the treble up also but not too much, scooped mids for thrash metal and other heavy metal, boosted mids for classic metal.

One thing to remember is to keep the gain high but don't go stupid with it, if you have it up all the way your sound will be pure distortion and it will sound a mess. even when i'm playing some slayer i back of the OD so that the notes are more distinguishable.
my normal metal tone is usally about:

Treble - 6
mids - 6
Bass - 7/8
Gain - 8/9

Thats on a EHX metal muff. i like some mids in a metal tone
treble- 7
Mids - 4
Bass- 4-8 depending on how loud im playing, if i crank my amp the bass gets bad.
Gain - 7-10
Quote by Daishi767
hey wasup
I was moving around my amp today and all the knobs were moved and my tone was lost. Im now looking around for a heavy metal tone to experiment with. Im kinda newbish when it comes to tone and finding the right one for me. So, if anyone could suggest a tone for me i would really appreciate it

My gear

Thanx a lot

Whenever I find a tone that I like, I take a picture of the amp's control panel with my digital camera...Just a thought for the future if you got a camera.
Quote by Neil27
my normal metal tone is usally about:

Treble - 6
mids - 6
Bass - 7/8
Gain - 8/9

Thats on a EHX metal muff. i like some mids in a metal tone

yeah i like some mids as well, its definately a fine line between a good amount and too much though
valvetronix.net

that has a lot of settings that people put up. For most of my metal tones I use UK modern, or for really hi gain stuff nu-metal, but i rarely use that one. I'm not a big fan of the scooped mids either, so its Mids-7, Treble-8, Bass-7, gain-9
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
well.. crack up the bass.. high treble but not as high as the bass.. and turn the mid up from one-fourth from zero to about halflway. Don't use too much gain or it'll sound messed up.. Just enough to get that metal sound while the notes are still distinguishable..
^_^
Yah... I play with enough gain to kill young children, so listening to me probably isn't a good idea lol. On my OD channel I play:

Bass-10
Mids-3
Treble-9
Gain-12 (mine goes to 12)

Couple that with my distortion pedal, which has everything turned to full and my wah pedal, also turned to full, and you've got about what my tone sounds like lol. Needless to say, its ****ing loud and obnoxious:P (depsite the horridness of this set-up to most of you, it actually sounds really good, just loud as shit).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Yah... I play with enough gain to kill young children, so listening to me probably isn't a good idea lol. On my OD channel I play:

Bass-10
Mids-3
Treble-9

Couple that with my distortion pedal, which has everything turned to full and my wah pedal, also turned to full, and you've got about what my tone sounds like lol. Needless to say, its ****ing loud and obnoxious:P (depsite the horridness of this set-up to most of you, it actually sounds really good, just loud as shit).

sound clips or i dont believe you
Quote by onemanarmy9

Bass-10
Mids-3
Treble-9

Jesus, that's what too much drive. That would sound more like a hunk of mud than a guitar. Plus, I agree with the minority. Boost mids some rather than scoop them to 2. More like

B-8
M-6
T-7
G-8

But of course this all depends on the amp, guitar, pedals, player etc.

So yeah, you use noob settings on your pedals. All the way up? That's ****ing retarded.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Quote by Daishi767
hey wasup

My gear

Thanx a lot

Well Alexi laiho from Bodom and Adrian Smith from maiden both boost there mids and there highs.
When asked about getting his tone, Alexi said Treble on 10, I dont care what the rest is.
That said, I dont like his new tone much at all...

And my tone I use is usually Treble high, Mids high, Bass 0... But my amp has some messed up natural EQ, even with 0 bass, and 10 Mids, it sounds mid scooped with a lot of bass...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Last edited by KiraIBZ at Apr 2, 2009,
i'll go Vox numbers for you, TS, since I have a Vox as well
amp model: AC30
Gain: about 10-11 o'clock
Volume: maxed
Treble: 2:30 o'clock
Mids: 8:30 o'clock
Bass: 3:30 o'clock
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"