Today I went out and bought a cheap Squire, rosewood fretboard and big 70's head. $100 @ guitarcenter.
The first thing I want to do is replace the single coil @ the bridge and replace it with a s.d. TB4 humbucker I have.

so I could use some advice on cutting the pick gard and if I should angle the pup like Eddy does.

Thanx.

lots more questions are soon to come. going to strip, repaint, and scallop the neck that it came with.
Last edited by mickeysixx at Mar 4, 2007,
your probably going to need to rout the wood to fit the pickup. and you're beter off buying a new pickguard for HSS configuration rather than cutting the pickguard?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Yeah, when people mess with their pickguards to do add anything than a hole for a toggle switch, it looks horrible.

By the way, I am a hypocrit for saying that. I removed a pickup from my strat, taped the hole up, took out the 5 way, and replaced it with a 3 way les paul switch. Luckily the gehetto-ness works with my scratched up finish.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yea, buying an HSS pickguard aint dumb. But if you want you could just mod yours. I have 0 experience with pickguards, but if you can rout them without chipping, go for it. If not, cut it with a scroll saw and sand edges clean.

Is that pickup made for strat style bridges? Because they have different spacing then say humbuckers on a les paul.

You can angle it if you want, I personally think it looks real lame but whatever floats your boat. Depending on which way you angle it, youll either get sightly bassier or treblier sound from the bass side and treblier or bassier sound on the treble side.

As for fitting it to the body, assuming squiers dont come with swimming pool routs (the pickup cavity is 1 big rectangle for all 3 pups), then youre going to have to rout a humbucker cavity OR rout a swimming pool, which is very straightforward, and you can later on mess around with different pup combinations (HSH, or HH, etc) without more routing. A swimming pool rout would give you the slightest resemblance in tone to a chambered or hollow guitar.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
I just started taking it apart. and it does have a "swimming pool" route. their is room for hums! yeah!

So I havent thougt of a paint scheme yet. Its black right now. Im thinking I might try and relic it similar to eric claptons guitar with more wood showng (exept with the rosewood fretboard and the HSS setup) and if it dont look good Ill just finish the sanding.

Question #2
any good tips on relicing? I was just goin to use sand paper for the body.

I live by the beach, If I just leave the hardware outside for a couple days will it oxidize?

P.S. good feed back on the other questions, I apreciate it.
Last edited by mickeysixx at Mar 4, 2007,
if you put it in a calcium chloride solution it'll rust in a day or so

and as far as relicing it, tie a rope to it and drag it around for a day, that'll give it a good random feel, you wont get that with sandpaper
Putting it outside would be slower than if you just dipped it (except the electronics) in the ocean.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I personally wouldnt want rusty hardware, unless you plan to just hang it up on your wall. But since your swapping the pup I guess its for playing.

So Id try n relic it without affecting the playability.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out