What is the best guitar for Southern Rock/ Classic Rock (occasional blues and jazz) besides Strat, SG, or Les Paul.
I was looking at a Dean Hardtail and was wondering how it would handle those.
I get bored with look of Strat's and can't afford an SG or Les Paul.
Thanks for any help
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Explorer if you want unique looks with crunchy southern rock tone.. lynyrd skynyrd anyone??

If you can't afford an SG or LP, then you probably can't get the Gibson Explorer (its about $1100 i believe).. however you can get the Epiphone korina Explorer, which is $500

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Korina-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518234
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
Explorer if you want unique looks with crunchy southern rock tone.. lynyrd skynyrd anyone??

If you can't afford an SG or LP, then you probably can't get the Gibson Explorer (its about $1100 i believe).. however you can get the Epiphone korina Explorer, which is $500

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Korina-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518234

Yeah I'm not 100% in love with the look of Explorer's, even if Allen Collins did play one, and I'd rather not buy Epiphone
How 'bout a Fender Telecaster? Don't they use those for Southern rock? It has a thin, almost twangy sound. I don't know. Hope that helps.

And you might want to get a Mexican Tele, they're much cheaper than the all American ones.
I don't much like Tele's either. I'm gonna drop about 700 dollars on a guitar so I want everything to be perfect, no compromises
If your problem is not being able to afford an SG or LP, look at some Epiphones. I absolutely love the Epiphone Customs
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I'd have said a tele I have to admit, that biting tone at from the bridge pickup is perfect. If you want something a little different though, how about a Michael Kelly Patriot? Pretty cheap, so you have plenty left over to swap the pickups out for a pair of Duncan Pearly Gates and you're laughing.

Patriot Phoenix

Patriot Hot Rod
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well to be honest, Strats, Les Pauls, SGs, and Explorers are like the definition off southern rock, so if you're ruling all of those out then I guess I don't know what to tell you, sorry.. maybe a Tele like that other dude said, but that's all I can think out. I think they're more for country anyway, TBH... Fender and Gibson/Epiphone will really be the best option for southern rock, so you're just gonna have to pick one you like

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
Well to be honest, Strats, Les Pauls, SGs, and Explorers are like the definition off southern rock, so if you're ruling all of those out then I guess I don't know what to tell you, sorry.. maybe a Tele like that other dude said, but that's all I can think out. I think they're more for country anyway, TBH... Fender and Gibson/Epiphone will really be the best option for southern rock, so you're just gonna have to pick one you like

Damnit...of the one's named in my price range I guess the Epi Explorer but it's an Epi.........
epi doesnt mean it will be bad.. I wouldnt recommend buying one online, because they are pretty hit or miss, but if you play a few in a store you'll come across one that fits what you're looking for. You may need a pickup swap or something, but you can definitely get a good guitar out of an Epi.

Quote by richwatkinson
I think I still like the Dean Hardtail, like I said it doesn't make that much of a difference to me if it's specificaly made for my type of music.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
epi doesnt mean it will be bad.. I wouldnt recommend buying one online, because they are pretty hit or miss, but if you play a few in a store you'll come across one that fits what you're looking for. You may need a pickup swap or something, but you can definitely get a good guitar out of an Epi.

I agree, I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and it's an excellent guitar. I haven't had to swap the pickups or anything to get a good tone out of it.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Alright I take back what I said earlier about not being a tonefreak. I want to duplicate the sort of crunchy gritty sound on beginning of Don't Ask Me No Questions by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Is that accomplished by an overdriven tube amp?
Yup, plug in and turn it up...not too much gain, just past breaking up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Epi Valve Jr, $99 I believe...that'd do the job nicely. Either that or just get a new amp instead of a new guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc