Page 1 of 2
People say some amps don't have enough gain for solos.
Such as Fender Hot Rod or Vox AC15.
Some people also suggested that I look into EG + Gain Pedals.
Would a distorsion / overdrive pedal be somewhat contributing towards gaining higher gain for solos on these amps?

Thanks
For the most part, i dont have a clue what you're talking about. But OD pedals and distortion pedals can add some gain, yes. If you have a tube amp, i suggest the OD pedal route.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yes, distortion and overdrive pedals are lifesavers when you have an amp that has no gain setting. I'll sometimes be forced to use my Blues Jr. when I can't lug around my main amp, and it has no gain setting, so I use pedals.

Distortion makes your tone heavier (closer to gain) and is suited to 80's rock or metal, while overdrive is a little subtler and is suited to hard rock, classic rock, and blues. I recommend BOSS pedals, as I find they're not only some of the best quality, but they also give a lot of options when it comes to distortion and overdrive. You could get Distortion, Mega Distortion, Metal Zone, Overdrive, Blues Overdrive, etc. Another recommended pedal would be an Ibanez Tube Screamer, which is a high quality distortion pedal.

Sorry if I rambled. >.>
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
^(to Sonicxlover)Some of that info. is completely wrong. For instance, the Tube Screamer is an overdrive pedal, not distortion.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
sorry to steal this thread but with pedal is better of death metal, dist or overdrive? i am using jcm900
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^(to Sonicxlover)Some of that info. is completely wrong. For instance, the Tube Screamer is an overdrive pedal, not distortion.

Did I say distortion? My bad. Either way, it's a nifty pedal.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
sorry to steal this thread but with pedal is better of death metal, dist or overdrive? i am using jcm900

Definitely distortion.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
^I hate to disagree again, but with a tube amp, it's best to use OD pedals if you need something extra. Crank the amp then use an overdrive pedal to put it over the top.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Sonicxlover
Yes, distortion and overdrive pedals are lifesavers when you have an amp that has no gain setting. I'll sometimes be forced to use my Blues Jr. when I can't lug around my main amp, and it has no gain setting, so I use pedals.

Distortion makes your tone heavier (closer to gain) and is suited to 80's rock or metal, while overdrive is a little subtler and is suited to hard rock, classic rock, and blues. I recommend BOSS pedals, as I find they're not only some of the best quality, but they also give a lot of options when it comes to distortion and overdrive. You could get Distortion, Mega Distortion, Metal Zone, Overdrive, Blues Overdrive, etc. Another recommended pedal would be an Ibanez Tube Screamer, which is a high quality distortion pedal.

Sorry if I rambled. >.>

WrOnG!

check the volume. crank it.
thaks. distortion add some gain too right? wich dist pedal would you recomend for stuff like DEATH, cryptopsy, morbid angel, necrophagist and the like?
Quote by Sonicxlover

Sorry if I rambled. >.>

lol for blues jr, the 'gain' setting ur talking bout is the 'volume' setting.
the 'master volume' controls the overall loudness, and 'volume' controls how hard it hits the preamp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yes, I'm going to be getting an all tube amp.

What exactly do people mean when they say you need pedals and effect for soloing on amps that doesn't have enough gain?
Like, do you need a pedal that actuallys boosts gain or is Overdrive/Distortion pedal good enough for it?

That's what I meant if you had no clue what I was talking about :P
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
thaks. distortion add some gain too right? wich dist pedal would you recomend for stuff like DEATH, cryptopsy, morbid angel, necrophagist and the like?

BOSS Metal Zone, and if you don't mind spending a little extra, EQ pedals help add punch and gusto to tone.

BTW, tried the Volume, and I got...muddy tube overdrive. Besides, tube overdrive/gain are two totally different things.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
MXR Micro Amp M-133 boosts ur signal so ur signal hits even harder on ur preamp.
it has only one knob. Gain.
same with the one pedal from BBE.
or maybe just boost the treble with treble boosters.
but Flea and John Frusciante uses MXR M-133s. and the guy from wolfmother i believe does too.
but still, u have to crank ur amp first. then, see if u need more gain.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Sonicxlover
BOSS Metal Zone, and if you don't mind spending a little extra, EQ pedals help add punch and gusto to tone.

BTW, tried the Volume, and I got...muddy tube overdrive. Besides, tube overdrive/gain are two totally different things.

man. you are completly wrong.

if you got muddy od, theres something wrong with your settings, your guitar or your amp. mine is crystal cut OD.

and no, gain and OD are the same, there are different types of gain.

and the MT-2 SUCKS! i had one, and it was the most staticy, grainy crap. get a metal muff instead.
Also, is there a point of getting Distortion pedal if I have TS808 tubescreamer?
^You can always boost your pedal with an overdrive, back off the gain though, or else it can/will muddy things up.
Quote by ovvyiljs
Also, is there a point of getting Distortion pedal if I have TS808 tubescreamer?

yes. the TS808 is OD. you can get a dist.
Sonicxlover is giving terrible information, be advised.

And ovvyiljs, the 808 is a good OD pedal, and if you can get the tones you like out of it, then you dont need a distortion pedal. I highly suggest that over something like a Metal Zone.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
thanks. so will the tubescreamer give enough gain to play death metal on my jcm900? or should i get a distortion pedal, like metal muff instead?
^I don't know, i dont have all that gear at my disposal right now. You're gonna have to try it out and see if the tubescreamer will not only give you enough gain, but is properly voiced for your needs.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by ovvyiljs
People say some amps don't have enough gain for solos.
Such as Fender Hot Rod or Vox AC15.
Some people also suggested that I look into EG + Gain Pedals.
Would a distorsion / overdrive pedal be somewhat contributing towards gaining higher gain for solos on these amps?

Thanks

All depends on what kind of music you want to play. Neither of those is much of a heavy metal amp, but Brian May and Richie Blackmore both got real close using AC30s and a treble booster pedal. Anyway, if you're doing metal those aren't the amps for you. But either one could do pretty much any other kind of music with a nice booster / overdrive pedal. The Fender would benefit because most pedals sound better than its own overdrive channel. The Vox has always wanted a bit of boost and a lot of our guitar heros made their mark with the AC30 and a pedal or two.

An EQ pedal makes a nice boost for an amp that's already cranked to near distortion. For the Vox that'd be almighty loud. Sounds glorious, but too loud without the band.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not really into playing metal.
I'm mostly into Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, GnR' Slash, Led Zep Jimmy Page, Gary Moore and etc.

Right now my budget is $600-700 amp and in those range I found these amps were pretty good.
However, many people told me that these amps would not have high enough gain for solos that I'm interested in playing.
Therefore I wanted to get this amp + something that will make it possible to get warm and high tones that I need for solos.

I'm thinkingof getting Hot Rod or AC15 and maybe Ibanez T808 Tubescreamer and Boss-DS1
Do you think that will do that trick?

Thanks
Gilbert and Vai are metal...

possibly a fender tube + a metal muff/rat/some sort of boss + a wah.

nice setup right there.
Really, a lot of people will give you shit for using a distortion pedal, but if you like the tone do it. My motto, it was good enough for Jimi, so **** it.
Quote by TehJermie
Really, a lot of people will give you shit for using a distortion pedal, but if you like the tone do it. My motto, it was good enough for Jimi, so **** it.

yeah i dont get it.

I LIKE SS DISTORTION!

so when i get a pedal its great. i get tube tone, but SS distortion.
Quote by Arlabester
yeah i dont get it.

I LIKE SS DISTORTION!

You don't understand, I use the most hated of all tone snob devices, a METALZONE.
well everones like ZOMG! YOU USE PEDAL FOR DISTORTIONZ! YOUR A N00BZORS!

i use to use a metal zone. but then i found a MUCH better metal pedal.
^Modded so heavily. Probably has like 20+ hours of benchtime on it. But people are usually like "OMFG METALZONE OH UR DUMB JUSS GET A BOOGIE" but shut the **** up when I turn it on.
People don't give shit for using distortion pedals do they?! Only shit distortion pedals... surely.. :p
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Quote by David_VI
People don't give shit for using distortion pedals do they?! Only shit distortion pedals... surely.. :p

A lot of people just hate distortion pedals, and then they hate some even more than others(Metalzone). And they are unchangeable as far as how they think a good tone can be obtained. It really takes you just melting their ears sometimes to make them rethink things but I generally don't care what people say/think about my gear. Just let the playing and tone talk.
Quote by TehJermie
A lot of people just hate distortion pedals, and then they hate some even more than others(Metalzone). And they are unchangeable as far as how they think a good tone can be obtained. It really takes you just melting their ears sometimes to make them rethink things but I generally don't care what people say/think about my gear. Just let the playing and tone talk.

So people just rely on their amp for a good tone according to people who hate distortion/OD pedals?
My amp has shite distortion so I use a pedal, plus its easier to go from clean to distortion in songs that way.. no footswitch
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
^Don't get me wrong, a lot of amps produce absolutely awesome distortion. My favorite amp just happens to be one that can't produce a quite brutal distortion on it's own. So I use pedals for my distortion tones. Simple as.
Quote by Arlabester
yeah i dont get it.

I LIKE SS DISTORTION!

That doesnt make a lot of sense to me..... tube tone but solid state distortion? Maybe you're trying to say you like the sound of a tube amp used with a distortion pedal. You cant get "solid state distortion" through a tube amp....its a tube amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^That's all good and well, the vast majority of OD and distortion pedals aren't tube, they're analog, but if you're playing through a tube amp, it's not really "solid state distortion" exactly. I understand what you mean, and i think we're disagreeing on small technical terms. You are saying you like tube tone, but with a distortion pedal. When i think of "solid state distortion" i think distortion as achieved through a solid state amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Temporary hi-jack

I've got a low budget and a POS Crate XT15R.
I'm influenced by Metallica, BLS, Pantera, A7X, etc.

Should I go for a Boss SD-1?
Or is there something better for under $70.00?
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
there are better distortion pedals out there which *emulates* a tube amp. When you're playing at 2am in the morning ...you cant crank your tube amp, so i guess thats where your distortion pedal comes in. I still love my tech21 sansamp gt2, its a great distortion pedal with very convincing tube-like clipping, but then again it has a price tag of almost $200. I guess thats a major turn off for most players.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Page 1 of 2