i never really saw the purpose of one....can anyone explain a situation where i'd need one?

also, ive heard it makes 12 strings easier to play...is this true, and why?

thanks
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
what kind of music do you play?

it makes a 12 string easier because you can tune it down a couple steps to release tension in the strings, then just put a capo on the second fret or whatever so its in its normal key.
It changes the key of a song or can make the tuning higher. On a 12 string, all the tension from the extra 6 strings puts alot of strain on the neck so ppl usually tune down a step or so. If the want to tune to standard, the put a capo on the 2nd fret to make all the strings a step higher
a capo raises the tuning of the strings without actually tuning them ferociously high and snapping the neck. for instance if most of the song is in say 5th position a capo at the 5th fret makes chords and such easier.

correct me if im wrong.
It can be an easy way out if you already have a chord pattern worked out, instead of learning all the different chords for a different key, you can just move the capo up, and play it in the new key with the same chords as before.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
It may help if u wanna play some james blunt lmao.. capo 8th fret .. but yeah basically it makes the pitch higher.. wonderwall by oasis is another one.. capo 2nd fret.
^ ha!

I use the capo quite a bit, especially if the song i'm writing/playing has a ton of finger-picking. I'll try the capo on a bunch of different frets until I find one that sounds good. For example, that Sufjan Stevens song Chicago has the capo on the 7th fret 'cause it sounds so damn good.

Essentially, it's an easy way for guitar players to bump up their chords to suit their vocalist without having to learn all sorts of crazy new chords. It's so much easier to play Dm-Am-C with the capo on the third than trying to figure out what chords sound the same without it.

: )
yeah also i think hotel california has a capo
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
It's a way to get different sounds; you're effectively changing the scale length of your guitar, you end up with a different timbre

also you use it to adjust to vocal range
the point of a capo is to bring the nut up the neck allowing you to play higher up without barring chords it also helps the vocalist for example you have 2 vocalists one girl one guy the girl sings high so you change to higher keys the guy sings lower so you could move the capo or not have one at all makes notes sound more open too
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
instead of barring, you can have the nice, ringing sounds of open strings/chords- anywhere.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]