Page 1 of 2
Nothing. Just train your ear.

Gave up on theory, eh Rabbit?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
There isn't a universal, sorry.

Train your ear though. Do some interval training , and chord type recognition. This will be handy to you.

all the open chords
all the notes on the E and A strings
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Quote by ledzep1023

all the notes on the E and A strings

He doesn't want any theory.

Quote by SillyRabbit
Whats some theory an all feel guitarist needs to know?

I would say techniques. If your not going to learn theory (or focus less on it) you will need to make the notes and scales you currently have under your belt as varied as you can.
Oh also listen to as many different styles as you can cause u can seriously learn lots of stuff through osmosis.
Quote by apparition
I would say techniques. If your not going to learn theory (or focus less on it) you will need to make the notes and scales you currently have under your belt as varied as you can.

alright. man. iv read lots of theory on scales so i should be fine in that department. Uhm what do i need to know about staying in key?
^ Well, you don't want to apply them, so you might as well forget .

I guess just focus purely on technical ability.

EDIT: I dont get this, you are asking questions about theory but you dont want to learn it? Err.....

It's weird but I played by feel for a long time, *LONG TIME* where I can pretty much play rhythm / lead to every type of music and keep up well enough without mistakes.

Then as I started learning music theory, I started realizing things, and making connections as I played, and those connections grow explonentially the more I learn/work on.

It's allowing me to get 10x more creative and get some real feeling out of it based on what my vocalist is singing about.
Quote by Xerk
It's weird but I played by feel for a long time, *LONG TIME* where I can pretty much play rhythm / lead to every type of music and keep up well enough without mistakes.

Then as I started learning music theory, I started realizing things, and making connections as I played, and those connections grow explonentially the more I learn/work on.

It's allowing me to get 10x more creative and get some real feeling out of it based on what my vocalist is singing about.

Excellent, that is great to hear man . Glad you didn't take the easy way out.

You could try singing/humming the notes while your playing. I find I usually stick within the key better doin that. It also keeps me from just letting my fingers go where they're just comfortable going (boxes/patterns) so I end up with something more organic sounding.
If you want to be an all-feel guitarist, just find a way to express your feelings through your guitar.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Thats what iv always been doing sTx... but everyone thinks that i should learn theory, i basicly get harrased on msn too cuz assholes on here add my msn and then flame me for not knowing theory. I have like 500 sheets in my room ahah w/e im gunna learn only a little i dont want to take away from my fearless fretboard creations
Learn the box shapes for scales... Dont need theory to understand the patterns.

Can I just say that it's stupid not to learn at least enough theory to work out keys/progressions/scales? I'm telling you, you could learn the bare basics of music theory in one college intro music course. For that little time investment, you'd gain so much. Not learning to play straight off sheet music is somewhat understandable...sheet music doesnt line up with guitar so well, and it's not that much of a necessity, but not understanding the theory behind your instrument just seems kinda like sticking your head in the sand.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Last edited by Xinlitik at Mar 5, 2007,
I personally don't know theory.

However, this all-feel crap is bullshit.
Coming from what you said, "fearless fretboard creations", you are a proud(ignorant) user of this bullshit.

Like I said above, I don't know theory, so I'm anything but a theory freak who thinks it must be according to theory to be right, but this all-feel shit is even more annoying, and it's users are either stupid twelve-year old's who don't learn it because Jimi Hendrix didn't learn it OR lazy people who use it as an excuse not to learn theory.

You don't HAVE to learn theory to make good music, but don't have to give this load of all-feel jackshit to discount for your lack of it.

You don't even know how to stay in key. I would hate to hear your "feeling-based' guitar playing, which is probably just you pressing random notes on your fretboard due to your "FEELING" playing it and hoping it sounds good.

Just FYI, Jimi did know basic theory, he just didn't know it was called theory.
well, if you don't want to learn any theory, train your ear and know where the note you hear in your head is on the guitar...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
An all-feel player would be someone who doesn't want to learn theory (because they're all-feel). Decide if that's you, or otherwise, learn theory and apply it to your playing.

For what you want, if you decide to learn theory, I would recommend starting with scale construction and modes - that will explain how to make your major and minor scales and much more, and can be applied to your playing for solos etc.
Once you're comfortable with that, maybe move onto chord theory and construction - from there you should find that you know enough about theory to know what you want to learn next.
yeah if you want to be an "all feel" player thats cool, just keep hitting random notes because you won't really know how to translate what you feel into what you want it to sound like. also to be an all feel player make sure your nerve endings work, you can't feel anything without nerve endings.....
Skill = knowing how.
Theory = knowing why.

Choose any combination you like.
no one can really say they dont know any theory. i mean chords and scales are theory and how you fit certain licks, phrases and so on over songs. thats all i really know. i cant read music or any of that stuff. the number one thing a feel guitarist should do is just never stop playing. always be playing and working on your own style, licks, runs, things like that. you could even make your own personal scales(of course, every scale is already made but i mean like how marty friedman will sit down and play notes over say an A not and see what sounds intresting). i think thats the most important thing. just keep playing so you know what you are doing all over the neck and dont have to think about anything.
well i know a bit of theory i suppose? Harmony,lyric theory,scales,chords,modes,progressions,art rock, and dont say my all feel is bullshit. ill spend an hour and some blindfolded playing notes that feel good and give me a blind approach to the sounds of playing. But i mean. i know most of the playing techniques. i know my notes? I hate standard music notation though. All i do everyday is just RIFF it up. Ill make riffs after riffs. Im not a noob at guitar, only theory. I mean, i want to know stuff that will make me better, but not having to read 40 pages to get to the essential components. Understand???
^ i'm not saying its bs, i'm just saying that its easier to know what you want to play than have to do the trial and error method. i've done both, it was worth the 6 months of sleep deprivation and constant innoculations and the traps rigged to the front and back door.... i mean, it was worth the 6 months of reading and studying to know how to do what i wanted to do without having to hunt n' peck.... i'm not a hunt n' pecker anymore, i'm glad for it. but at the same time i can play outside of a scale and know how to make it sound good, where to use accidentals, what notes tie in with other notes etc etc.
yeah but dude What do i need to knwo from theory like what are the most important things to learn as a guitarist, and like if its scales dont list those i already know most of em. But i want to know the most important based theory stuff.
Quote by nightwind
He doesn't want any theory.

well hes asking the wrong question then because he says he does want theory. I think the threadstarter is being quite lazy to be honest.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
If you neglect theory, you are a dumbass. You are only going to leave yourself in the dark and make it so it takes you MUCH longer to progress as a musician. Sure you could figure everything out by ear and never try to understand it, but why the hell would you? Your ear IS the most important thing yes, BUT theory can be EXTREMELY helpful. You think having to read a few pages of explanation takes a long time? Well trying to learn what you could with theory with trial and error will take you exponentially longer.
i dont neglect theory. I simply dont need to use it, all i do is compose original quality riffs,songs,lyrics,arrangements. Dude Iv been producing music since i was 11 and producing techno(good techno is a skill in which i had to learn) after learning all that i just have it built in my brain what note to play and stuff so w/e Dont ridicule me of being a dumbass. I am a genuine composer. Im not full of my self either
I wouldn't say you're stupid to neglect theory

You are if you try to justify doing so though.
Quote by radiantmoon
well hes asking the wrong question then because he says he does want theory. I think the threadstarter is being quite lazy to be honest.

Yes. Really, learn it. Its fun.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by SillyRabbit
yeah but dude What do i need to knwo from theory like what are the most important things to learn as a guitarist, and like if its scales dont list those i already know most of em. But i want to know the most important based theory stuff.

I think aside from the bare essentials (which I think you said you knew earlier in the thread), it depends largely on what you will use in your everyday playing - like what you want theory to do for you, your playing style. I personally don't see a point where you can say that someone - upon reaching a certain point - know's "enough theory", because it laregly depends on what they plan on doing with music. This might be coming out wrong though.
If you want train your ear....It would make sense i you understand
what the hell your hearing...

You don't think I have a crap loads of FX and a whammy bar
and made my block of wood scream before ?

The auxilary scale sounds pretty bad arss if you play it a certain way.

The whole tone scale puts you in the twilightzone.lol
Last edited by Ordinary at Mar 5, 2007,
Page 1 of 2