To be (somewhat of) a jam band.

It just recently occured to me,
Watching a concert the other day,
That they indeed do jam.

Meh, kinda dumb thread
But whatever.
CTHC
Last edited by BreakingTheGirl at Mar 4, 2007,
They did jam, but they were not a jam band. Would you call Zeppelin or Cream jam bands? I personally wouldn't, but they did tend to jam during their concerts. Just because a band likes to jam doesn't make them necessarily a "jam band."
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
yeah when i think jam bands i think. phish, grateful dead, allman brothers, string cheese incident etc... not so much the doors as a jam band
Whats the definition of jam band?
How are the allman brothers a jam band?

The doors were a psychedelic rock band, which is rooted in jam music. They did lots of pure jamming (completely unrehearsed improvisations) with Morrison even improvising poetry.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
I'd kinda consider them a jam band. sorta.

but then you could call King Crimson a jam band, who just jammed a hell of a lot. and most people don't consider them that.

I think the term "jam band" is pretty dumb. in my opinion.
I personally dont even consider The Dead a real jam band.

To me, a jam band is a group whos material is all improvised, no song writing actually takes place. (I play in a band like this )
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

Check it out
I think they could be, I read an auto-biography of The Doors by the keyboard player (I forgot his name..) and he said that on Light my Fire they would sometimes solo on for 8-9 minutes. If that's not jamming i don't know what is.
Quote by al_

To me, a jam band is a group whos material is all improvised, no song writing actually takes place. (I play in a band like this )

There are few bands, though, that really do that.

I would definitely consider bands such as The Allman Brothers Band and The Grateful Dead jam bands.

Just because they start with a structured song doesn't mean it can't end somewhere entirely different twenty or thirty minutes later.
How are the allman brothers a jam band?

ever heard of an album called Live at the Fillmore East????
thats how the allmans are an original jam band
Yes, then by those means, why wouldnt the doors be a jam band? Or cream, hendrix, zeppelin, basically a majority of bands coming from the 60s and I guess 70s.

EDIT: yea i have it, yes its got amazing jamming, yes its an amazing album,etc etc.

But I cant see how the Allman Brothers could be considered a Jam band and the doors not.

Check it out
Quote by al_
Yes, then by those means, why wouldnt the doors be a jam band? Or cream, hendrix, zeppelin, basically a majority of bands coming from the 60s and I guess 70s.

EDIT: yea i have it, yes its got amazing jamming, yes its an amazing album,etc etc.

But I cant see how the Allman Brothers could be considered a Jam band and the doors not.

i guess you could consider the doors a jam band but it is usually used for bands like the grateful dead, ABB, phish etc...
I guess Jam band is a bit like Jazz. You have a head, you improvise like crazy before returning to the song. Cream, Grateful Dead and Allmans were a great example of this.

The Doors improvised a lot. Jim reading his poetry etc. But they clamied to have never played the same song, exactly the same, live, twice. They just knew what eachother wanted to do, almost in a telepathetic way. Thats what makes them amazing.

Sometimes they extended songs out live, but i wouldnt say a Jam band, as I would call The Dead a Jam band. Big defferences.
I know theyre not considered one. I really dont care whether they are or arent.

Im just saying how I dont understand how they arent but the Dead is?

Basically, what defines a Jam Band?

Check it out
Well, how long did The Doors's jams last, and how long did The Dead's jams last?

I think it's based both in length of songs, as well how often they jam.

Some bands would have one jam to cap off their concert, but jam bands basically have many songs that last at least ten minutes, and usually more.
Quote by al_
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by jim morrison714
huh i've never heard it. is it as good as or better than the one off of eat a peach?

Honestly, I haven't heard it either. It's one of their few officially released albums I don't own, and it's a double-disc, so it's expensive.

I'm assuming it's amazing, though.
The Doors do jam, but not enough to call them a jam band, but their live jams are incredible. That's what is expected though. Concerts should be better and more jamming than on record. Like what Robbie Krieger said, "Studios by nature are limiting." And that was true for The Doors in my opinion.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
That's true for basically all bands - it isn't very common for bands to play long jams in the studio.

Well that's obvious, I meant that usually bands are better life than in studio.