Alright, so I am trying to learn scales. But I don't really understand them. I know how to play them and all. For example, I am trying to play an A Major Scale. There is so much different fingerings for it(or boxes), that it confuses me. How would I go about memorizing all of these boxes? What are the most common boxes used? Should I just learn one box or fingering from each letter of the scale.(ex.1 from A major, 1 from b major on and on..) Someone told me that the notes repeat over the fretboard and transfer to other strings. But the problem is, when there is a new box or fingering, not all of the notes in that box transfer over, only some. This is quite confusing to me. So, I guess my question is, can you guys better explain scales to me, how and what notes transfer to make new boxes, and what boxes or fingerings should I learn in each letter of the scale. Right now, I am thinking I should just learn the one that is shown off this website and build from there.http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php
whenever im on the bus to school i sit with my crotch thrust towards the seat infront of me because it gives me a boner
Quote by WoodPencils
whenever im on the bus to school i sit with my crotch thrust towards the seat infront of me because it gives me a boner

that was profound...
Quote by lateraluspiral
play twinkle twinkle little star. thatll blow some socks off.

Quote by Cynoxx
I wish I was this badass !
all box patterns are intertwined. the best thing you can do, is to start by learning one pattern, then, add notes both up and down the fretboard that are in the scale. i haven't lloked at that link yet, but, i'll tell you this, start with this:

|--------------------------------------5-6-8-|
|------------------------------5-6-8---------|
|-------------------------5-7-----------------|
|-----------------5-7-8----------------------|
|---------5-7-8------------------------------|
|-5-6-8--------------------------------------|
the tonic is the fifth fret on the A string (movable pattern)
then, try this out

|-----------------------------------------5-6-8-10-|
|---------------------------------5-6-8-------------|
|-------------------------3-5-7---------------------|
|-----------------3-5-7-----------------------------|
|---------3-5-7-------------------------------------|
|-3-5-6---------------------------------------------|

then, go to

|-------------------------------------------------8-10-12-|
|--------------------------------------8-10-12-------------|
|-----------------------------7-9-11-----------------------|
|-------------------7-8-10---------------------------------|
|----------7-8-10------------------------------------------|
|-6-8-10---------------------------------------------------|

those were in F major/D minor, but, the box patterns can be moved all over the fretboard
Quote by sp0ckr0cks
all box patterns are intertwined. the best thing you can do, is to start by learning one pattern, then, add notes both up and down the fretboard that are in the scale. i haven't lloked at that link yet, but, i'll tell you this, start with this:

|--------------------------------------5-6-8-|
|------------------------------5-6-8---------|
|-------------------------5-7-----------------|
|-----------------5-7-8----------------------|
|---------5-7-8------------------------------|
|-5-6-8--------------------------------------|
the tonic is the fifth fret on the A string (movable pattern)
then, try this out

|-----------------------------------------5-6-8-10-|
|---------------------------------5-6-8-------------|
|-------------------------3-5-7---------------------|
|-----------------3-5-7-----------------------------|
|---------3-5-7-------------------------------------|
|-3-5-6---------------------------------------------|

then, go to

|-------------------------------------------------8-10-12-|
|--------------------------------------8-10-12-------------|
|-----------------------------7-9-11-----------------------|
|-------------------7-8-10---------------------------------|
|----------7-8-10------------------------------------------|
|-6-8-10---------------------------------------------------|

those were in F major/D minor, but, the box patterns can be moved all over the fretboard

Thank you very much. At least you bothered to help unlike those two boneheads who replied first...
I'm currently learning scales from the book "Fretboard Logic: SE" it is pretty good, plus I found another book that has two patterns for a bunch of different scale types; major, minor, pentatonic, minor pentatonic, and others. From what I have learned you can learn the patterns or boxes to a scale up and down the fretboard then with the patterns they have root notes and when you slide the pattern along the fretboard it moves it to a different note, like C major scale when you move the entire pattern to the pickups it changes it to C#, then another fret is D, and another is D#, etc.

Then there is the whole thing of a Major Scale corresponds to a Minor Scale of the same type in the same position. Such as the same C Major is also A Minor. G Major is also E minor and those are the only two I know. My friend said that it would be better for me to learn everything as C Major because it has no #/b notes so it is easier to remember then once you have it down and you learn the notes on the fretboard it is easier to learn all the others that have #/b in them.

I'd recommend Fretboard Logic SE, it is a good book and on amazon it costs like 15+ shipping or you could find it on a website (like learnbits.org or bitspyder.net)
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.