Page 1 of 2
exactly how important is a bassost in metal? i nver even really hear the basslines in a song unless its like in a bass intro like animal i have become by three days graci
It would help to actually listen to metal. Bass is very important in many metal bands.
I've found Jesus
It's essential.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by jj19902003
exactly how important is a bassost in metal? i nver even really hear the basslines in a song unless its like in a bass intro like animal i have become by three days graci

You'd be suprised at what the song sounds like without it. Stupid question really.
That's a sloppy post as well dickwad.
Quote by F-ing Hostile
music is boring without the woofer bumping

Chea son.

Develope a good ear and you'll know how important bass is.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by jj19902003

well, bass in metal is usually very basic, it brings a whole lot of thickness to the sound.

basically, it makes it sound better.
Atheist anyone?

thats how ****ing important it is...
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Yeah man, bein the bass player is a crappy job cuz they don't get a whole lot of acknowledgment, but if you were listening to your favorite metal song then all the sudden there was no bass, you'd definately notice it. Its like turning off the 'bass boost' on your stereo.

So to answer your question, you need a bassist.
One of our local bands plays with no bassist but i still love 'em, although i think it would add a lot of they had a bassist.
Quote by i have to pee
Atheist anyone?

thats how ****ing important it is...

A band having a standout bassist does little to nothing to explain the near necessary basic role of bass in the genre.
Bass helps alot even though most people dont realise
People think they don't hear bass in metal, but when u take it away from the guitar drums singing etc, you notice it alot

EDIT: icantplaythis said it, turn off bass boost on cd player or mp whatever and you will notice
bass is really important, when im at band practice and its just me and my drummer and we're waiting for our bassist to get there, its not nearly as much fun or well sounding without him. its one of those things that you dont notice until its gone. you can also do alot of cool things with a bass that really add to the song song
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

bassists are extremely important, i mean come on, who else is there to keep the left over groupies from feeling left out?
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
the bassist makes the band br00tal.
Quote by Bmm386
"I cut my own penis off and ate it"

pinkowitz.net - another /b/ forum (help it grow)
Sadus. Theres an example of its importance. But in bands like Dragonforce, it's not that significant because theres the keyboardist thickening the sound a little and they sort of aim for a thinner sound to hear the fast guitar harmonies. But in thrash bands and stuff, it really just fills out the sound and makes it sound better because if you've got two guitarists with a lot of treble you're gonna want a bassist in there smoothing it out.
Quote by Inimical
Listen to Spiral Architect and you'll get your answer.

The band or the song?

My band won't need a bassist. I'd rather have a minifridge in the practice space.

Yeah, bass is important in a song. It adds a certain kick to the music.
Quote by jj19902003
exactly how important is a bassost in metal? animal i have become by three days graci

Sorry sir, 3 Days Grace /=/ metal. Lol
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
bass gives that low end to the music. some records have very distinctive bass lines, like among the living or tomb of the mutilated.
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by Quintessence153
The band or the song?

My band won't need a bassist. I'd rather have a minifridge in the practice space.

Yeah, bass is important in a song. It adds a certain kick to the music.

Band.
Bassists in metal important. They make the music sound heavier and deeper. Most of the time, people underestimate the bass because it's drowned out by the drums and guitars but it makes the songs actually better. The smallest things make the song complete.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
Pig Destroyer sound pretty brutal with no bass player....
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Meh. My band doesn't need me as a Bassist. If your guitar is thick enough with enough midrange and BAss it will sound good. Especially on a halfstack or something.

Some sort of Bass sound is required in music in general. It is just Bass is the easy way out.
wtf r u all talking boutzz, white stripes r00l @ metal and don't have a bassist.

To answer the question of the threadstater.

Stefan Fimmers.

kgtg.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
funnily enough, the iron maiden thread was directly below this thread when i clicked it

a perfect example of how important bass can and should be
i really don't like bass players in local bands who play ilivesince they are just like a giant mush of sound.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by greety
wtf r u all talking boutzz, white stripes r00l @ metal and don't have a bassist.

To answer the question of the threadstater.

Stefan Fimmers.

kgtg.

^^^
srsly greety..how the f*** did u become a s-mod ??
bass is pretty important, but i wish it wasn't because the bassist in my band can't play for shit.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by punk_metal
^^^
srsly greety..how the f*** did u become a s-mod ??

?

I hate you.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
^
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
if your trying to play "technical" metal i think bass usually is a good idea as it adds this certain flavor in which i love (bands like Pavor, Cryptopsy, Gorguts, etc.) and bass arpeggios and solos certainly do kick much ass...
It really depends the band. Some bands can get away with it,others can't. Generally,I think the slower and more dense the music is,the more important the bass becomes. Bands that play fast can get away with it,because generally the bass is going to be mixed lower in the recording,so it's not as noticable.
Page 1 of 2