Page 1 of 4
EDIT: Pretty much is now my build thread.

If I wanted to make a telecaster in bass form, not those Fender "telecaster" basses they make that have an upper cutout, but an actual Telecaster guitar in bass form, what pickups could I use?

It's not often you see bass pickups very close to the fretboard? The only one I can think of is SG basses with the darn ugly massive humbucker looking things...

Imagine that with four strings.

What could I chuck in the "neck" position?

And what could I chuck in, say if I customized my own telecaster bass bridge (i.e, made one myself) what could I slot in the bridge?

Actually, now I think about it, bass bridges are usually further away, no?
Anyway, that's a minor detail at the moment.

MAIN QUESTION: What could I chuck in "neck" and "bridge" positions?

I don't know many types of bass pickups.
Generally just your Jazz and Precision styles, plus the humbucker looking ones, like you can find on Explorer basses etc.

HELP NEEDED SOON.

Thankyou
Last edited by Gymmeh at Jul 2, 2007,
The neck isnt strong enough for bass strings.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
You've got one huge problem here bud, bass scales are around the 34", while Tele's are around the 25". If you got a bass neck, you would have to do a lot of filling and redrilling to make it fit
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I was saying imagine it.

I'm using the neck off a Fender Jazz bass.
And I'm customizing the headstock to appear as a Tele headstock.

And I'm making the body.

At the moment I have to submit a project plan. So I need to know pickups.

That's all I'm asking.

Thanks.
Mid pickup? Sheesh.
I'd prefer to do just one, but will probably do two to make it "look right".

I want to do a Jazz (J) pickup in neck, but I was wondering, how close to the fretboard can I put the pickup? I'm fairly darn sure the pickups can't just be slapped anywhere, right?

And I might just do a Bridge J bass pickup in bridge position.
I don't have my Aerodyne Jazz Bass with me now but I can give you the placement of the J and P PUs from the bridge and the fretboard tip as soon as I get it back. If you go with just the J, it'll sound too smooth or mellow, you'll want/miss the P sound. GuitarFetish now sells bass PUs so you can get inexpensive ones if you don't have those yet.

*hopes somebody does a bass mod with a Kahler Bass Trem*
Grand Funk Railroad has this piece called "I'm Your Captain" with awesome basslines. Then I saw a local band play the piece and the bassist used the trem sparingly and made it more interesting for a wannabe bassist (me). Those trems are obscenely expensive though ... but I have a MIJ Fender PBass I'm thinking of adding a J PU and a Kahler trem (in my dreams).

Put a classic P pickup (like the in ORIGINAL P-basses) in the neck position, however close as you feel comfortable if you wanna slap/pop, and a J pickup in the bridge.

Or even better, dual Darkstars!
haha
I'd check out Pure Tone pickups. They are a LOT better than no-name pickups, ridiculously cheap for an Australian company and have free postage to anywhere in Australia. I quickly swapped one of their humbuckers into my Aria while I was playing with it, and it sounded SO much better than the stock pickup.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
You should try to find a Ibanez ATK bridge, it's very similar to a Tele bridge, but for a bass.

Or you could go buy a P-bass style bridge, take off the plate, and then find some some steel (or aluminum, or brass or whatever) and make a bridge plate that's similar in size to a tele's, then machine a slot for a slanted Jazz pickup. Then try to score an old single coil Precision pickup, or maybe even a strat pickup with a blade instead of a pole peice, and then put a chrome cover on it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
J in the Neck, P is too big to fit in the bridge, I'd say Stingray Pickup? dunno what is the name... but that is more manageable size right?

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Doesn't somebody make a lipstick p/up for bass? I always thought that there was one, but then again, i'm a guitarist. Loving the Tele bass idea BTW.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I know this has been asked 238909238492876027634046.46 times before by other people, but where can I get dimensions for a tele body from? Not including the neck.

Just the body dimensions..?
Quote by Gymmeh
I know this has been asked 238909238492876027634046.46 times before by other people, but where can I get dimensions for a tele body from? Not including the neck.

Just the body dimensions..?

I had full scale plans for a Tele drawn up at home, I'll ring my mum and see if she can measure the dimensions for you. I hope she hasn't thrown all my plans out
slant a j bazz pup in the bridge and atick a huge fat hb off an sg stye bass in the neck

and as someone above said bass tremolo ftfw

they have pretty much the exact bass you want in my local-ish music store its got the above mentioned hb in it

oh yeh one more thing. they are butt ugly cos the body is too small

just something that needed sharing
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Mar 6, 2007,
Schecter made a bass with the Telecaster shape, and I like it. I'm trying to find a picture but the bass part of the Schecter website isn't working at the moment for some reason, and I can't remember the model name.

I really like the idea of a Tele bass though.

EDIT: It's called the Schecter Baron
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.

not bad but i wouldn't buy one
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^ Yeah that's the one. I think they're pretty cool. I hate most basses too, cause most of them look like this
and I HATE those shapes of basses. I think classic shapes like the P-bass, Jazz Bass, 4001/4003 Bass, EB-4, LP Bass and whatnot are MUCH nicer. I hate pretty much all the other bass shapes, like all the ones Schecter produces apart from that one, and the washburn basses and stuff. They look horrible.

EDIT: I LOVE Alembic basses too, and most of the basses that Mark King uses.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by skater dan0

not bad but i wouldn't buy one

Yah. Mine's going to be a Fender copy though. With a pickguard and headstock that emulates Fender products.

And that's why I need dimensions. I don't know whether to scale it up like take the length of a Tele guitar neck and a Bass neck and do the same scale to the body, or leave the body the regular size or what.

Thanks for all the help guys. Still need more though! Anything you've got to add, do so! haha
Okay I'm going ahead with this.
I have to submit my wood order on Friday morning, and I'm using Queensland Maple for the body.
random_hero, you got dimensions of a Tele for me at all?

I really need them to know what wood to order.
Or anyone else please?
Sorry buddy, I've had the parents search the house and they can't find them. If you have a CAD program, I can get you a DWG file with dimensions on it...
I think that you can get the measures using scales. You know that the neck scale is XXX in full scale, the in the image it is YYY so you can find out every measure. Then you can go to a print shop and ask them to print the picture with the body on the scale that you want.(obviously you want in full scale to make the templates) You know what i mean?

There was a baritone telecaster known as bajo sexto : http://pygmytwylyte.org/pics/guitars/bari-tele.jpg

In guitars the neck pickup should be on the 24 fret position. There are harmonics but i don't know more about that.

EDIT: FOUND A TELECASTER BASS http://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0601/made.jpg
You can get Telecaster style bass bodies on Warmoth that fit standard Jazz and Precision necks.
Page 1 of 4