Is there any way to add a whammy bar to your bass?

Or do you have to buy one with it installed?

I reaaaaaaalllllllly want one.
There are available whammies for basses that you can but online, but why dont you just bend? You get the same effect. It would be cool bending with a whammy though.
Hipshot and Kahler both sell aftermarket whammy bridges. In both cases, you have to do some serious routing to install them; unless you have lots of experience routing, it's something best left to a professional. Which can cost a few hundred dollars.

The Kahler bridge is better quality and takes less routing to install, but is expensive as hell. The Hipshot bridge is cheaper, but you have to rout a large hole through the body, and it isn't as nice.

It's really not worth it unless you intend to dedicate a lot of time to becoming exceedingly good with a whammy bar on bass. It's a niche thing.

Just buy a Whammy pedal.

Quote by __Ronnie__
There are available whammies for basses that you can but online, but why dont you just bend? You get the same effect. It would be cool bending with a whammy though.

It's not the same thing. Whammy bars allow you to modulate an extreme amount, and bending only allows an increase in pitch anyway (yes you can prebend but it's not the same thing).
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
it won't cost you a couple hundred to get a pro to do it unless they are ripping you off terribly.
Quote by theargus11
it won't cost you a couple hundred to get a pro to do it unless they are ripping you off terribly.

Including the price of the bridge itself.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Including the price of the bridge itself.

Agreed! Those Kahler trems are obscenely expensive and the main reason I got so interested was because of a performance of Grand Funk Railroad's "I'm Your Captain" by a local band. The bassist was using the trem in parts and got some pretty unique sounds that made the piece even more interesting for a wannabe bassist.