I've been trying to learn the fretbaord lately and I guy cant do it, how do you?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Me too, i actually drew a picture of the fretboard with all the notes on it and i'm gonna take it to school and just freakin worship that thing until it gets stuck in my head
"You know honestly, i don't see myself getting any faster. I mean, you can only hear so much."
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by t-r-a-v-i-s
Me too, i actually drew a picture of the fretboard with all the notes on it and i'm gonna take it to school and just freakin worship that thing until it gets stuck in my head

Yeah I would try that but another distraction is the last thing I need at school roght now lol
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
i sometimes like to think of it in octaves and fifths and thirds and things like that. like if your on the d you know one full step over and two strings down is another d, and you know that one full step over and one string down is an A. i dont know if that made any sense in writing
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Try and remember certain spots that are easy to start with, say you are on the low E string, the fifth fret is the note for the next string, A, and the 12th fret is the same note. If you are on A the 5th fret, is D, and then 7th fret is the lower string, E, and 12th is also A. this is the same for most strings with some exceptions for B and G.

so remember
e - 5th fret is A - 7th fret is B - 12th Fret is E
B - 5th is E - 8th is G - 12th is B
G - 4th is B - 7th is D - 12th is G
D - 5th is G - 7th is A - 12th is D
A - 5th is D - 7th is E - 12th is A
E - 5th is A - 7th is B - 12th is E

and when you have those memorized, just fill in the gaps with the other notes
A A# (or Bb) B C C# (or Db) D D# (or Eb) E F F# (or Gb) G G# (or Ab) A

and remember there is no sharp/flat between B and C and E and F.

also, please tell me if this helped anyone and if you understood it, it took me a while to type.
Quote by Gooze
Try and remember certain spots that are easy to start with, say you are on the low E string, the fifth fret is the note for the next string, A, and the 12th fret is the same note. If you are on A the 5th fret, is D, and then 7th fret is the lower string, E, and 12th is also A. this is the same for most strings with some exceptions for B and G.

so remember
e - 5th fret is A - 7th fret is B - 12th Fret is E
B - 5th is E - 8th is G - 12th is B
G - 4th is B - 7th is D - 12th is G
D - 5th is G - 7th is A - 12th is D
A - 5th is D - 7th is E - 12th is A
E - 5th is A - 7th is B - 12th is E

and when you have those memorized, just fill in the gaps with the other notes
A A# (or Bb) B C C# (or Db) D D# (or Eb) E F F# (or Gb) G G# (or Ab) A

and remember there is no sharp/flat between B and C and E and F.

also, please tell me if this helped anyone and if you understood it, it took me a while to type.

I'm sure it was helpful to the threadstarter.

I'm guessing you haven't seen any of Casuality01's posts, or some of Bangoodcharlotes or Corwinoids..
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
what i did when i first got an acoustic (bout half a year after i started) was go out and buy lil round stickers.. like colored lables.. and then i stuck them on my acoustic.

first i started with C, then G, then, E.. the order dont really matter.

but once i had the fretboard dotted with all the Cs, id practice major scales. all the C scales, and say it out loud "C __ fret, __ string" until i felt i knew where all the Cs were. and then i took the lables off and practiced the scales again until i felt i was good.. then i labled all the Gs.. said it aloud, took the labels off.. moved to E.

now i have no problem finding any note on the fretboard.
I play scales and say the notes out loud and use fretboard warrior (google), its taking me ages but thats because I'm lazy.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Practice finding all the notes of one sort all the way down the neck. You can use finger positions to help you out...for instance, for strings 6->5 5->4 and 4->3, you can make an octave with the power chord shape. From tuning you should know stuff like E string fifth fret = open A... so it's an A.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

This is the method I use and its the method that my guitar teacher taught me. Its a good way to do it but I must warn you, it gets boring but if you practice it will pay of no end.

You should spend about 20 minutes a day doing this everyday, however I do an hour a day. The longer you spend doing this, the quicker it will take to learn. Learn a position a week and then revise them constantly until it is written on your brain.

This technique will help with the following areas of guitar playing:

-Learning the notes on the fretboard
-Fretting technique
-Picking technique
-Finger strengthening
-Visulisation of notes

The Lift Off

Obviously this method is called the lift off. I will explain the method now.

This method works on learning different positions. These positions are thus:

-Frets 5 - open
-Frets 9 - 5
-Frets 14 - 10
-Frets 18 - 14
-Frets 22 - 18
-Frets 24 - 20

Right, lets get down to bussiness.

The fingers you are going to use are:

-The pinky finger
-The ring finger
-The middle finger
-The index finger

I will explain how to do this by using position one (Frets 5 to open).

Take the pinky finger and place it on the fifth fret of the first string.
Then place the ring finger on the fourth fret.
Place the middle finger on the third fret.
Then place the index finger on the second finger.
Make sure that all the fingers are directly behind the frets. This will help you with finger strength and fretting.

The next thing to do is play the note on the fifth fret and then slide all your fingers back a fret. Make sure that all your fingers are directly behind the fret. By sliding back it helps with the accuracy of fretting.

What you do is play the note on the fourth fret and then lift off. Then play the next fret and lift that finger off. Keep playing and lifting off the notes until you play the open note.

Now as you are doing this sing and play the notes. This will help with pitch. If you dont want to sing, it doesnt matter but it is important that you say the notes you are playing- out loud or in your head. Singing the notes will help pitching so it is best advised.

Now as you sing the notes or what ever you decide to do, when you hit the notes with accidentals, sing their enharmonic equivalents. (See Singing the notes section).

Also, as you do this alternate pick the notes. Obviously this will help with right hand technique.

Repeat this method on each of the strings.

Then once you learn it this way, learn the notes across each fret moving back a fret whilst keeping to the positions. So learn all the notes on fret five, then four, then three, then two, then one and then open, whislt singing and playing each note.

When moving on to the positions that do not have an open string do not lift off to play the open strings. Just play the fret the index is fretting then move on to the next string (See section for the positions).

Singing the notes

Singing the notes is simple. Sing the fret you are playing and then the note that fret is. So sing:

A5, G#4, G3, F#2, F1, E0.

Since there are enharmonics of G#, and F#- learn the enharmonice of them which are Ab, and Gb [And any other enharmonic on the other strings].

Summary

-Place all your fingers on the fretboard, starting with the pinky on the fifth fret and the other fingers on each seperate frets on the same string.

-Pick the note, sing it then slide back a fret.

-After you have slid back, pick the note, sing, lift off and repeat this until you have played the open note.

-Make sure you are alternate picking.

-Once you have played up to the open note, move on to the next string and repeat.

The positions

I will now right all the notes on all the positions but I will leave the enharmonics out- They aint hard to figure out and should be the very basics of your musical knowledge.

But just incase you dont know your enharmonics I will write them out.

A# = Bb
C# = Db
D# = Eb
F# = Gb
G# = Ab

Positions one- Frets five to open
|-A-G#-G-F#-F-E-|
|-E-D#-D-C#-C-B-|
|-C-B-A#-A-G#-G-|
|-G-F#-F-E-D#-D-|
|-D-C#-C-B-A#-A-|
|-A-G#-G-F#-F-E-|

Position two- Frets nine to five
|-C#-C-B-A#-A-|
|-G#-G-F#-F-E-|
|-E-D#-D-C#-C-|
|-B-A#-A-G#-G-|
|-F#-F-E-D#-D-|
|-C#-C-B-A#-A-|

Position three- Frets fourteen to ten
|-F#-F-E-D#-D-|
|-C#-C-B-A#-A-|
|-A-G#-G-F#-F-|
|-E-D#-D-C#-C-|
|-B-A#-A-G#-G-|
|-F#-F-E-D#-D-|

Position four- Frets eighteen to fourteen
|-A#-A-G#-G-F#-|
|-F-E-D#-D-C#-|
|-C#-C-B-A#-A-|
|-G#-G-F#-F-E-|
|-D#-D-C#-C-B-|
|-A#-A-G#-G-F#-|

Position five- Frets twenty two to eighteen
|-D-C#-C-B-A#-|
|-A-G#-G-F#-F-|
|-F-E-D#-D-C#-|
|-C-B-A#-A-G#-|
|-G-F#-F-E-D#-|
|-D-C#-C-B-A#-|

Position six- Frets twenty four to twenty
|-E-D#-D-C#-C-|
|-B-A#-A-G#-G-|
|-G-F#-F-E-D#-|
|-D-C#-C-B-A#-|
|-A-G#-G-F#-F-|
|-E-D#-D-C#-C-|

Conclusion

Well thats the lesson on learning the fretboard over with. I really hope it helps people since I spent bloody ages typing it up.

The point I made about visualisation earlier is this: When you have a spare moment to yourself, on trains, on the bus to school, in the car on long journeys, think of the notes on the fret board in your head. Go through the notes in your mind as per the positions you are learning. There have been many embarrassing moments on the taint me saying "A5 G#4 G3..." under my breath in public... and then air guitairing it too for good measure- But it helps a lot.

The reason it is broken down into positions is so you dont learn it chromatically. It is done this way so you know where each note is without relying on chromatisim too much.

Peace, Guitardude19.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
This is my first post here and I just started playing about 4 days ago. I am also trying to get some of the fret board down. I purchased this www.fret2fret.com it is pretty neat little memory trick. It has helped me a lot, not sure it is worth 29 bucks but whatever.
Ok people, its so easy to memorize the fretboard, heres what you do. Don't actually memorize every note, memorize a way to find every note whenever you want. K, so, theres 1 whole fret between each letter in music except for B & C and E & F. Its that easy, just start on E string and work your way to 12 Fret (repeats after that) and work your way to the next string. Do this enough, and you'll memorize the notes naturally.