So as I get more and more into theory it just seems like ALOT to take on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up and I'm determined to learn it. The question is, for the type of music I want to play what areas of theory should I focus on learning? I ask this because I don't want to waste time learning theorys or techniques that I don't need for my music. BTW I play heavy metal.
That really depends on what you mean by 'heavy metal' cuz most people have differing opinions about what this is. Pentatonic scales and harmonic scales are used a lot in metal and pretty much all kinds of rock. But there's not always a whole lof of theory behind metal.. bands like Metallica, at least in the early days, didn't use much theory. However then there's Iron Maiden who rarely strays too far from the rules.

There's tons of articles and lessons on this site about this kind of thing, the only advice I can give you is to not let yourself be overwhelmed. There's a lot of fancy words involved in explaining theory, just don't let it discourage you.
well in general for guitar, you don't need to learn how to read music, so skip
that part. all you need to know is the relationships between notes, to the point
where you can create necessary chords and scales on your own.
Also its a good idea to know where the notes are on the guitar... like you should know that if you hold the A string down on the 6th fret its an E flat (written Eb) and you should also know how to find a note like if I told you to play a D, you should know where to do that.
so basically I should learn the notes on the guitar, and how to form them into chords and scales? thats it?
whats the difference between a flat and a minor and a sharp and a major?
"You know honestly, i don't see myself getting any faster. I mean, you can only hear so much."
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by icantplaythis!
That really depends on what you mean by 'heavy metal' cuz most people have differing opinions about what this is. Pentatonic scales and harmonic scales are used a lot in metal and pretty much all kinds of rock. But there's not always a whole lof of theory behind metal.. bands like Metallica, at least in the early days, didn't use much theory. However then there's Iron Maiden who rarely strays too far from the rules.

There's tons of articles and lessons on this site about this kind of thing, the only advice I can give you is to not let yourself be overwhelmed. There's a lot of fancy words involved in explaining theory, just don't let it discourage you.

Well, people are using elements of theory whether they know it or not.

I disagree with the skip learning to read music part. It's important if you want to play with other musicians - and I believe you should learn it eventually. And you shouldn't just learn about chords and scales. If I was you, I'd try to learn as much as I could. I don't know how much of this pertains to metal, but why stick to being "normal" when you could end up breaking through being original?
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I don't know how much of this pertains to metal, but why stick to being "normal" when you could end up breaking through being original?
EWWW that is SOOO un-metal!!!