I want to buy a guitar amp but I do not know what do I need to look for in a guitar amp. Basically the standards an amp has to pass to be considered good for electric guitars. Also can I get some examples of a good amp for a beginners. Also I'm interested in owning my own metronome, What are some of things I should look for and some examples of good ones
Depends on the sort of music you're after. "Beginner" amps are determined mainly by power (watts) and price. I think Vox Pathfinder (10 or 15) would make and excellent first amplifier, but that' just me.

Basically you want something reasonibly inexpensive, that sounds good. Now "sounding good" is determined by what kind of music you're looking to play though... A great country amp is not a good metal amp...
Well RadioMuse summed a lot of things up pretty well, if you could tell us a bit more about your musical style and current needs.

And I agree ^^ It's great to see someone interested in a metronome. You can buy a decent working one for around $20. They're for the most part inexpensive but very useful tools, you really can't go wrong with which one you get they all pretty much do the same thing. Some will also help you tune the guitar.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I am interested in playing punk rock^^
I just wanted to know if this is what I should I buy
I found a Spider III 15 1 X 8 15 Watt Combo:
15 watts, 8 in custome driver.
6 effects (2simultaneous) including phaser, chrous flanger, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb.
4 essential amp models, 4 user-prorammable channels
CD/Mp3 Jack
Headphone/Direct out for practice for recording
Quote by mselamaj
I am interested in playing punk rock^^
I just wanted to know if this is what I should I buy
I found a Spider III 15 1 X 8 15 Watt Combo:
15 watts, 8 in custome driver.
6 effects (2simultaneous) including phaser, chrous flanger, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb.
4 essential amp models, 4 user-prorammable channels
CD/Mp3 Jack
Headphone/Direct out for practice for recording

well, it seems like a lot of people on here hate line 6 so i will try to bring a fresh perspective. i think the spider III would be a great amp for a beginner. most beginners like to cover songs by their favorite bands and the spider III has over 400 presets set by popular bands themselves i.e. slipknot, hawthorne heights, killswitch engage, etc.
Line 6 Spiders are solid, but if you're looking at a practice combo amp with effects and amp models, may I reccomend a Vox AD15VT? It has somet nice features, like a built in noise gate and more controls than other practice amps. (Gain, Volume, Low, Mid, High, Master Volume, Effect Select, Amp Model Select) Vox, in my expereince, is a step up in quality from Line 6. Not to mention that the AD15VT looks rather dashing.

I would reccomend buying a combo with effects, regardless what brand you choose. My first amp was a 10 watt with no effects, and I wasted a fair chunk of money on effects pedals I ended up not needing or liking once I developed a good ear for guitar. Phasing and Flanging are fun, but not overly usefull in day to day practice. I reccomend a combo so you can play with the effects, get that desire out of your system, and make your first pedal something that you'll use forever, like a good reverb or echo box.
Well the Bands I want to cover are like Fall Out Boy, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and Cartel. I just want to make a good purchase
People seem to really dig the Flextone III
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Vox >>> Spider

My personal opinion is that 15W SS amps are a waste. More volume than you need in the bedroom, but not enough to jam with a drummer. I'd suggest either the Vox DA5, which is a cool little amp with all the models, but it can also run on batteries. Long after you upgrade, that thing'll still be a lot of fun.

That, or the AD30VT. Unlike the 15, the 30 has a power attenuator on the back, so that it actually sounds better at lower volumes than the 15, but has enough power for band practice and even small gigs if need be.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Vox >>> Spider

My personal opinion is that 15W SS amps are a waste. More volume than you need in the bedroom, but not enough to jam with a drummer. I'd suggest either the Vox DA5, which is a cool little amp with all the models, but it can also run on batteries. Long after you upgrade, that thing'll still be a lot of fun.

That, or the AD30VT. Unlike the 15, the 30 has a power attenuator on the back, so that it actually sounds better at lower volumes than the 15, but has enough power for band practice and even small gigs if need be.

I actually think the voicing on the bigger AD models are trash compared to the 15.
Quote by MrSandMan
People seem to really dig the Flextone III

i absolutely adore mine... it never ceases to amaze me, seriously.
Now I'm confused!! lol. I want to purchase the right amp with good sounds for a beginner who wants to play punk rock bands Fall Out Boy because the amp I have it sucks and all it has are: Volume, Boost, Treble, Gain, Middle, Bass thats it.
Well I highly recommend the Vox ad15vt as well, like others said it is a great sounding, nice quality amp. I should know I own the ad30vt and you can get alot of tones out of it. Meaning you could play those bands and a little bit more with the Vox.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by TehJermie
I actually think the voicing on the bigger AD models are trash compared to the 15.

wait, how can that be? is that true?
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
What would you guys prefer :Vox DA15 15w 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp or Vox Valvetronix AD15VT 15w 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp? Better yet what is the difference of the too, Vox Valvetronix Ad 15 Vt are $189 and the first one are $129
Quote by skimbleshanks
well, it seems like a lot of people on here hate line 6 so i will try to bring a fresh perspective. i think the spider III would be a great amp for a beginner. most beginners like to cover songs by their favorite bands and the spider III has over 400 presets set by popular bands themselves i.e. slipknot, hawthorne heights, killswitch engage, etc.

Can you be quite please? I'm even tempted to call you a noob right now.

I know for a fact that MOSTLY everyone here doesn't hate LINE 6. It's more that they hate spiders...

I'm a real fan of the pod xt...great tones you can get out of that small thing.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by TehJermie
^Oh snap, Jinksee losing his patience? Never seen this before.

>,<

He insulted Orange and Ibanez for stupid reasons...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by mselamaj
Volume, Boost, Treble, Gain, Middle, Bass thats it.

honestly, thats all you need. worry about technique right now, add the bells and whistles later with single effects pedals. Im currently looking for a nice small tube amp. looking back, i wish that i would have bought one right away. instead, i wasted my money on a huge 120 watt solid state when i could have spent half the amount and purchased a nice 5 watt tube. Maybe the crate palomino (sp?) or an Epi valve jr.
you will never, NEVER, need that much power (120 watts). especially if you are just gonna jam out in your bedroom. If you find that you need more volume for a gig..mic it!

my 2 cents.
Quote by Jinskee
>,<

He insulted Orange and Ibanez for stupid reasons...

Ooh. Don't knock Orange within a mile of Jinskee. And yeah, the Vox should be kinda nice. However, you might want to go with the AD30VT, for the reasons slatsmania said.
^

I see you got a VJ? Cheers!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I realize you dont have much expericence with guitar amps, but
Quote by FrenchBread

There are two ways you can go about amp shopping:
1. Find that super expensive tube amp that you like the best and could never afford. Then find an amp in your price range that sounds the closest to it.
or
2. Play a bunch of amps in the same price range and see which one you like the best in comparison to only that price range.

What I'm saying is I would not buy an amp because of what Musician's Friend [or other online source] says.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.