Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide what to do with my Washburn WI24. It's still all stock, I messed around with it for a bit when I was 15 but havent touched it for 3 years, until this morning. I was going to give it away, but I decided to keep it and put my money towards fixing it up a bit. First of all, it's a fixed bridge with a string through design but I want to swap it out for a tremelo. Not a locking one like Floyd Rose or Kahler, I'll save those for my next guitar. This one is just to practice with and play at college. Any recommendations? My friend recommened a Wilkinson, but I'd like some more opinions. Second, I want to swap out the stock two humbuckers. I'm really more of a single coil guy, but since my next guitar will be SSS, I figure that keeping this around would make more sense than going out and buying a 2nd single coil guitar. While I rarely play any metal or hardcore, I'd rather not have two guitars with overlapping tone. This could just be something cheap and different from my main. I dont need to get much clean sound from whatever I swap in there, that's what my Strat will be for. I was planning on swapping in a humbucker on the bridge and a p90 in the neck, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
Personally, I'd keep the string-thru design. It would be a lot of work to change it to a trem (routing, possibly repainting, etc). Plus, string-thru's are sexy
For pickups, I'd put something nice and mellow in the neck. Anything based around the PAF-style humbuckers would go nicely, maybe a SD Jazz. In the bridge, I'd go something a little bit heavier, maybe a Distortion or JB. I'm sure forsaknazrael will be here in a minute, he knows a lot more about SD pickups than me. With putting a P-90 in the neck, you would have to do a bit of routing as P-90's are longer than standard humbuckers. You could always go a 'bucker sized P-90 if you really wanted to take that route.
If you post some pics, we could make suggestions about changing the other hardware, etc.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah I was looking at Gibson's site and they have a humbucker sized p90. I was also looking around at SD's. I dont usually go for really deep, metally sounds. Another alternative would be swapping in two p90s. The string through is cool, I would like sometihng to let me practice bending those notes, but thats still up in the air. A bucker in the bridge and a p90 in the neck would produce some nice tones, I am planning on going to a few guitar stores this week but I dont think I'll find any ready to play there that are set up that way.
If you're getting a Strat, it will either have a 2 point or 6 point trem, so I figured it would be better to have two totally unlike guitars. I've heard good things about Rio Grande P-90's, I think the guy who did the Matt Bellamy build used one in the neck.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I'm planning on a custom built Strat that's very different from anything commonly available. However, since I've just started playing again, I figure it's smarter to get some more experience under my belt and develop my playing so that when it comes time to drop all this money on my ultimate Strat, I'll be better informed on what I want on there. Doesnt make sense to rush through getting it. I plan on either a Floyd Rose or a Kahler system on that, I need to try both out more, especially the Kahler
If it's a P90, stacked coils would be good to get rid of that hum. If there's a good humbucker that approaches the p90 in tone, that would be worth taking a look at. I dont know if there's any stacked humbucker-sized p90s around.
Last edited by Moonglow at Mar 5, 2007,
quick bump

kind of early to be bumping, but i'm going to the store to hopefully pick out some new humbuckers today, gotta get some ideas