Poll: Is Jimi Hendrix Overrated?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Jimi Hendrix Overrated?
Yes, he's nowhere close to the best
49 44%
No, he's definitely the best
59 53%
i am gay and don't listen to music with guitars
17 15%
Voters: 111.
Page 1 of 2
So i come to you, the good people of the Pit, to answer me this:

Is Hendrix overrated? Is he really the guitar god he's really cracked up to be? Did he change the face of guitar forever? Is he the "best guitarist who ever lived"?

I say nay. I think he's wildly overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's good and definitely had an influence, but he's just not as good as so many people say.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Well I know the Search Button isn't
Schecter Hellraiser C7 w/ BKPs
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

"From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, And I Am In Them, And That Is Eternity"
Quote by etniesmuzikskat
Well I know the Search Button isn't

no it isnt +1
[/spam]

Freeze...WTF?
Member #1 of the I Poker club. PM Highvoltage45 to join.
dude you dont question stuff like that! Hendrix is god, do not question it
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
As a guitarist? Yes.
As an influencial musician? No.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Not the best... certainly talented. Ive seen a clip of him playing his guitar with his teeth which is not normal, cool, but not normal.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
he is not a god he was influential FOR HIS TIME
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

"From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, And I Am In Them, And That Is Eternity"
I'm gonna say it.

Hendrix
was
MEDIOCRE.

At least somebody has the balls...
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
I'm gay and dont listen to music with guitars.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I'm gay and don't listen to music with guitars.

Seriously though, he may not be the greatest technically but he did put a lot of soul into his music and that is a huge reason why I like it. He just "felt it". He is definately one of the most influential guitarists but not the best, fastest, most technical, whatever.
dude you're a complete idiot. this thread has been made about a million times.

and yes he was not as technically proficient as a lot of the guitar heroes that came after him, but he was one of the most influential guitar players of all time and that is a fact.
"EyePlayElectric Yeah but Hendrix actually had skill unlike Dime.
-to Last Ablaze "

A huh, lets see someone else play as well as dime did. Im not one those who was like OH DIMES DEAD HE'S WAS A GOD. I always loved the guy his playing was incredible. Hendrix is over-rated... He is a huge influence but Come on... No one person changes the face of guitar....
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
You guys are retards jimi is a god, his style style was new and revolutionary for his time, and a handfull of bacon says you cant play guitar on that strong of acid.
I am awesome

I agree with myself

Third Ninja Commander of the UG Society of Ninjas.
i'm not a hendrix fan by any stretch, but you can't deny the influence he's had on modern rock n roll.
Quote by Ace88

Is Hendrix overrated?

No.

SRV is underrated though.
Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!
In the rays of the sun I'am longing for the darkness
Funny Canadians : Brandon860, Bodom & Scourge
Leader of the I boobs club
Quote by Metallica12_12
"EyePlayElectric Yeah but Hendrix actually had skill unlike Dime.
-to Last Ablaze "

A huh, lets see someone else play as well as dime did. Im not one those who was like OH DIMES DEAD HE'S WAS A GOD. I always loved the guy his playing was incredible. Hendrix is over-rated... He is a huge influence but Come on... No one person changes the face of guitar....

search youtube for jimi hendrix. Dimebag is good though but i rather alot of other players over him.
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
well, he was definately a gifted muscian, but the thing that bothers me about him is that it seems some people treat him as if he was the ONLY great guitar player, and they give no credit to other contributors such as Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, etc.
I am gay and don't listen to music with guitars. Srly.

I think he is one of the most overrated guitarists. He wasn't that good. He was a good entertainer but not a great musician or guitarist.
Quote by Embodiment
I am gay and don't listen to music with guitars. Srly.

I think he is one of the most overrated guitarists. He wasn't that good. He was a good entertainer but not a great musician or guitarist.

see, she gets it
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

Okay, I am tired of talking about Jimi Hendrix, so this will be the last time I will say this...

Jimi was a talented guitarist. Pretty close to the most talented, if not the most talented. He took a guitar and revolutionized it. The reason a lot of guitar players even picked up a guitar was because of Jimi. The stuff he put down on record was unbelievable, but he was better live. Why? Because he was a great entertainer? Maybe, but he was also much better to just hear him live. People talk about his technique not being up to snuff, I recommend them to watch his video of him playing "Hear My Train A Comin'" on a 12-string acoustic. It takes pretty good technique to play the 12-string as clean as he did. He was also a musical genius. Don't take away from his talent because a lot of people believe he is a guitar god. He may be a God to some people, and he may not be to others. Is he overrated? Who cares? What matters is what you think of him. You shouldn't need to ask if he is overrated to anyone else. When you ask a question like that, all that usually comes is people saying, "Jimi Hendrix was a terrible guitarist and people are stupid for thinking he is a God," and others answering with, "No, he is a unbelievable guitarist and should be considered a God, you need to shut up."

So, to sum it up, is Jimi a great guitarist? To me, he is, to you, I don't know. Is he overrated? Who cares?
^ you are very right!

Every guitarist is both overrated and underrated by different groups of people.

Jimi, was a very talented musician, he played what he felt in his heart wich is something that most guitarists today lack, he was amazingly creative too.

I find his technique overrated, his creativity underrated.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Steve Vai, Malmsteen.. heck.. plenty of modern guitarists could blow him out of the water technique wise.

But influence wise - no way. Hendrix is still definitely guitar God.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Steve Vai, Malmsteen.. heck.. plenty of modern guitarists could blow him out of the water technique wise.

Timmy,you are my hero.
Quote by TimmyPage06

I agree, these guys are much better, technique-wise, but it isn't fair to Jimi. He played during a time where technique wasn't everything. People get better with time, it is a fact of life. Sports have gotten better than what they used to be. Put a basketball player that plays today (like Shaquille O'Neal) in a time like the 60s, when there weren't really any big men, he would completely dominate the entire league. Why is that? As time goes by, people get better, people get stronger, people get smarter, it is just what happens. It isn't fair to say that Jimi isn't the greatest of all time because he wasn't as good as Vai is, or Malmsteen is. Guitar playing was completely different back then.

To sum up, those players are great players, and yes, they are better technique-wise, but it isn't fair to Jimi to dismiss him because he played at a different time. Barry Bonds is a better hitter than Babe Ruth, but that doesn't take away from how great Babe was, does it?

I'm not saying you are wrong because it is your opinion, I am just saying it isn't fair to dismiss Jimi. That is all. I figured I would point that out.

You are right though.
i don't think its possible to judge him unless you lived when he lived, saw him live, and listened to him talk about music.

Sure its easy for us teenage guitarists (who weren't even around when Hendrix was) to pass judgment, point out modern, technically superior guitarists, but even then, I don't think we can make an accurate judgment. Hell, look how much praise our leading guitarists of today- e.g Satriani, and Malmsteen- pour upon Hendrix.

Hendrix came and completely rewrote the book on electric guitar playing. I don't think technique, popularity, or attitude/soul are the sole judgments of a musician's worth. I think a musician who comes on the scene and changes the way all the other musicians approach music is the most accomplished of all musicians.

I don't believe in this 'best ever' nonsense, musical ability is not a discrete variable easily counted and compared. The whole concept of a 'best guitarist' is too broad, unless you went down to the nitty-gritty details. Technicality? You could get everyone to play the exact same lick, and see who plays it the fastest. But that seems so pointless to me. you could measure in money- how much a guitarist earns in a year. But again, why?

Saying Hendrix was mediocre- in what way? Technical ability? Record sales? But I point to my previous paragraph- does it matter?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
he revolutionized guitar, but then...

its sort of like...
fender made fist single coil pickups....
and late EMGs made active ones

he discovered most of what we play today, but he didnt master his skill as much as his followers did.
great performer...real stage presence.
Quote by charvel_man
So UG appears to be riddled with warlocks.

*Prepares pitchfork*
um no he is definatly not overated, as much as i hate admiting it and dont like his music much... anyone who says he is ovverated has no sense of music and has not even listened to it, seriously fast shredding (and i do like it a lot) is a lot easier than the techniques he uses... try it and youl see what i mean
i think hendrix was a very good guitar player and a awsome song writer, he could play with passion and speed and play 0n 140+ hits of LSD a night! how many can clame to be able to do that?

having said that i think there are players how are technicly better but i cant think of any how can play in just the same mannarisms (sp?) as he can.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Page 1 of 2