It's been about 11months I've played guitar and I'm just curious about what I should know by now...

I know it's very hard to evaluate because it depends on many things but I just want a basic rough idea... like, what techniques/speed/songs should I be able to play, what theory should I know, etc..

and what next???

Thanks!

( please don't answer saying "it's different for everyone d00dz!" and think you're smart... I know it's different and I just want to have a rough idea... but I know some dumb guy will copy/paste that "it's different for everyone d00dz!" and post it LOLL )
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
It depends on what you've studied for the last year. Metal, Rock, Blues, Jazz? You should be able to play several songs with more than just power chords all the way through, with a band. But then you may not be able to play any jazz or blues but you can shred 1,000,000 notes per second. Or the other way around.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Everyone learns at a different pace...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Like RPotts said, it just depends what you've studied. I've been playing 8 years but I've mainly focused on blues, jazz, and zydeco. I do play metal but it's southern metal. Being that I've mainly studied blues, my speed isn't where it probably should be for say metal. It really just depends.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Quote by Final
I think it'd be better to ask what everybody else could do after a year, and then you can size yourself up with them. That way you don't get any "it's differentatezorz for errvrybdynoobz!". Just my opinion.
that's what I expected people to post but it seems like I have to write it word by word loll... what could you play after a year???

As for other question, I practiced mainly metal (no teacher) I could say...
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

It depends what your goals are. My friend's goal was to learn guitar as a hobby, so by year 1, he could play alot of nirvana songs and such. My goal was to become a shredding machine, so by year 1 I was playing Arpeggios from Hell and Flight of the Bumblebee. My fathers been playing over a year and can barely handle a transition from the Gmaj chord to a C chord :P
LOLLL @ YOUR DAD!!! (no offense! )

And congrats for your hard work... that's good for a year(I think!)...

well my goals are to play as a hobby but ... like, main hobby you know... I'd make a living out of it if I was sure it was lucrative... It's probably gonna stay a big hobby for a while and if I'm lucky enough, I may try to play in bars later! (I'm only 16 now )

Quote by Resiliance

Last edited by hurlyz at Mar 5, 2007,