Yup. An Emo Bassist.

They keep telling me to turn down. And when they do ajust my volume for me I become the Bassist from Korn. (I use two amps)

One of our guitarist has a really deep sound with alot of mids on his guitar, aswell as a halfstack. I use a 15" Bass amp and a 12" high amp.

I hate sounding like just another Bassist with no skill, so I try to play as promenent as I can. Experementing with different effects and techniques.

Is this wrong?
go for it dude, seriously if you want to be a prominent member of the band then you should try writting a few more bass oriented riffs and such like
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
take your inspiration from people like Flea (more old school stuff) Billy Sheen and Cliff Burton and go for it

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
I try to. I really do. I have a bunch of really experemental riffs involving Chords, tapping, harmonics, and other techniques.

But they don't really pay attention.

I do like the band though, it is a really fun good sounding band. But I just don't hear myself.

They used to have a BAssist before me. He was mostly a singer. And had only extreme lows in his sound. He was quite the singer to be honest, but a poor Bass player.

They play mostly with power chords. With alot of mids and lows. It almost sounds like we are competing for audio frequency space.....

I am already heavely influinced by Tim Commerford, Flea, Les Claypool, and Jaco.. They say I am good. But meh, People are usually biased either for or against themselves, so I have no opinion about myself.
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Mar 5, 2007,
the problem with bassists in emo bands is that unless they have a different means of getting noticed in the band they just end up tired forgotten and depressed, if you take MCr as an example of that
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
Quote by TMAW
the problem with bassists in emo bands is that unless they have a different means of getting noticed in the band they just end up tired forgotten and depressed, if you take MCr as an example of that

ouchie, friend.... way to poke at mcr like that... i hate sounding cliché, but they really aren't emo...they're like... old-horror-flick punk. lol

-------------

to thread starter-dude,

i thought of something better to say... maybe you should try finding some other dudes to jam with that might actually appreciate your role as a bassist. maybe your current band isn't for you... maybe you just need that musical outlet to let yourself shine. try it out... if it doesn't work out... it doesn't work out.
^ And

Quote by The Casualty
I'd leave the band, they're taking you for granted, and you could do a lot better.

That is the problem. I love this band. They are going places. We have been on TV, Our second CD release party is this friday with ANOTHER show after that on saturday.

I love the sound of this band. And I love the really frequent shows. We are going somewhere. I am sure of it.

Quote by girl-tarist
yea... i feel like that too in my band... i used to sing the girl lead voacls.... then, they downgraded me to just bassist and got another singer. damn, it sucks.

Sorry to hear that. I am trying my hand in singing to see if they can notice me. (aswell as I just want to learn how to sing for the hell of it)

I say to you, get a mic stand and sing Backup. It is better than it sounds. A REALLY good Backup vocalist can add alot to a band. (Part of the reason why I liek the band that I am in)

Quote by TMAW

This is actually an Alternative Rock band. It isn't emo at all. I was kist kinda making fun of myself for my poor attitude and slight depression.
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Mar 5, 2007,
Yeah ****ing right to whoever said MCR was horror punk. But dude, keep on trying, there need to be more bassists who aren't afraid to step up and be a lead instrument sometimes. If you can't work it out creatively with them, you might just want to pack up and leave. On a side note,check out a band called He Is Legend. Their bassist does some great stuff.
Dont give up man thats what Rock n Roll is all about not giving up (and of course sex and drugs lol) alot of people have been uncomfortble in their bands but they always get there in the end just keep it up and blow em all away. Cheer up emo kid! lol
My Gear:

Fender 2008 American Series Standard Stratocaster
Hand Made Acoustic Guitar (made by my uncle)
Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 with maestro trem
BOSS DS-1
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Peavey Bandit
Whatever you do, don't try and be a Pete Wentz figure. He can barley play tghe bass and he covers it up with over the top stage moves. Those stage moves are all well and good but nothing masks pur talent which it sounds like you have

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
Last edited by METSOAD at Mar 5, 2007,
If you love this band, stay in it, but start another band where the bass is a more important aspect, and you can use your experimental bass riffs.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
If they want you to turn it down, turn it down. If your a bassist you gotta put ego away and agree to do everything. Every band needs a bassist and if you want to shine you should just ask to play more Primus songs. But it's a given fact that the bass in most songs will be quieter than the guitar or on the same level. But if you're a bassist and use showsmanship people might listen closer to what you are playing. So that's my 10 cents
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
Well your band just had their second cd release party or whatever right? Well for your next cd thing come up with some bitchin bass riffs. IMO bass not only helps hold the band together but all around make one, primus for example. As for backing vocals you can becaome very good at that then train your voice welll enough to go solo or take up lead look at John Frusciante. Seriously just tell the guys you want to have a more active roll in the band.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
dude, i hate how my guitarist takes all the shine for our songs. Our bass player got a new amp and our guitarist is using it so he can be heard...thread-starter dude, I see the pain that overshadowing can do to a bass player, you dont want that man. You all need to sit and have a talk and work things out. We did that and our guitarist actually turned down.
Me-You're a fucking retard
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Me-So you agree?
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Well, you could record some of your bass stuff and make songs incorporating your skills and make a Myspace. Then ask people to take a listen. And then take it from there

EDIT: Looks like you already have something like that.

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Mar 5, 2007,
My two cents:
Practice the bass on your own time, come up with new stuff on your own time. Band practice is to gel as a band not try and create some mad bass riff and only hit two notes in the right key, throwing the rest of the band off. Not saying you shouldn't be creative but create then bring it to practice - don't create at practice (as far as your individual instrument goes).
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
If you like the band, stay in it. However, I'd say feel absolutely free to mess around with different sounds and techniques. Perhaps talk to the band, and let them know that at practice you might mess around with things a little bit, and at the live shows stick with what works. Sooner or later, you're experimenting should turn into "what works." It's just a matter of finding the right groove.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride