Page 1 of 2
How do you feel about the rights that a specific group of people get?

Everyone is equal, yet some people get more rights than others.
Like the right to marry, which in some places is restricted, and only for straight couples. I think it's complete bullshit, but that's the world of today.

There's also the criminal thing, where as someone who has a criminal record is usually not eligible for some jobs.

I myself have a criminal record, and probably will be restricted to jobs that will barely support me.

I'm against it somewhat, but then there's the fact that some people really are criminal who will steal just for the hell of it.

Well, there are many more example, but I'm too lazy; which is why I'm going to be soon (maybe).

So what are your thoughts on the matter?
The world will get so stupid for itself, it will implode.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by saxaxe
Out of curiosity, what kind of criminal record?

Just a minor one; only one charge.

That'll still affect my job opportunities however.
In our country, if you're older than 15 you are eligible for earning a criminal record. What it basically means is that if you're 15 and stupid, you might screw up some good working opportunities.. It's a bit debatable in my opinion
YAY
JESUS LOVES YOU
KIRKOMELETTE IS COOL
Well, as the song suggests, we have three rights.

1.) Not to be killed because murder is a crime (unless it was done by a policeman or an aristocrat).

2.) To food money (providing you don't mind going through hell to get it).

3.) To free speech (providing, of course, you're not dumb enough to actually try it).
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by The Casualty

You only have to declare your criminal record if you are applying for jobs within 5 years of the offence. After that they cant do anything and I doubt any employer who happens to run a background check on you would care about a minor infringement of the law. [Unless they really take a disliking to you, but if you are more than qualified for a job they wont turn it down].

To put it another way I have 2 assualt charges to my name and didnt declare it to the university I am at now, they found out but didnt really care.... They still offered me a place. I wouldnt worry about it that much.

However, I do agree that some minorities seem to have more rights than others, and in some areas, such as marriage, some areas of the communinty are more equal than others. Frankly, I have given up caring about it since even though it does effect me, there is nothing I can do about it.. Why cry over spilt milk lol.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Of course, the criminal system is flawed, but its a necessary thing.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Well, I'm not saying I agree, but the anti-gay wedding thing is a religious point of view, and at the end of the day, if you want a wedding specific to one religion, you should really follow the rules of that religion.
Personally I only see marriage as a formality. The personal bond required for two people to be happily married should be strongly established long before any church event. At the end of the day, a wedding is a legal matter.
As for the criminal record thing, I think a morally conscious society has an obligation to keep those wishing to do crime from others. Now, in your case, I should think that a minor charge would be forgotten after a few years.
Did you even get convicted?
I don't believe in handicaps, but I do believe that people who deserve to be in a higher position should get it.
Unfortunately, Hitler went over board and it is frowned upon these days, so it is pointless to argue that.
To clarify I don't believe people are born with extra abilties, I just believe people utilize their abilities more than others.
Nonetheless, superiority provides competition and keeps people in check, so I do think it is important to a society.
I'm tired and can't string two coherent sentences haha.
Final decision: Yes.
hey causulty how old r ya. if ya under 18 doesnt your ciminal record disappear wen u turn 18. (or 21 wateva your legal age limit is)
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I vote you for Australian of the Year.

Quote by Dunjma
lol yea chuck the sicky! what an aussie tradition angels fighter i too vote u for aussie of the year

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I call bullsh*t. White people don't get sacked.

Visit my friends Site
I have
one count of driving under the influence
2 counts of dangerous driving
one count of driving with a drug in my system
driving an un regestered car
driving an un warrented car
7 months periodic detention
2 years probation
2 arrests
1 count of producing a firearm (which buy the way was a bright orange water pistol and i still got arrested for it)
and it has never affected weather i get a job or not.
How old are you exactly? because once your 18 your record is wipped of minor offences.

But yes, i find police are more lenient with some ethnicitys in australia, and they have permision to do watever they want almost. Like recently a group of aboriginals (australias native people) burnt a flag outside of court because of a decision not going there way or watever. Now flag burning is a federal offence but they didnt get charged or anything. so yeh it does get annoying. And this could probly fit into the political thread but just saying..
It doesn't matter, haha! Because I'm a member of the Inner Party! Back to the streets, prole! I'm going to have some butter!
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Lol @ the description of the thread refering to Modship.

/seriouslyneedsalife
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
You and I must fiiiight for our riiiiiights, you and I must fiiiight tooo surviiiiive...

All this human rights bullshit is making me cringe. The police can't even release photos of criminals so they can be identified and caught because it infringes their 'human rights'. This guy has took someone's life/raped them/ate their unborn child, and they expect to keep their 'civil rights'. **** that!
Quote by porcupineoris
Well, I'm not saying I agree, but the anti-gay wedding thing is a religious point of view, and at the end of the day, if you want a wedding specific to one religion, you should really follow the rules of that religion.
Personally I only see marriage as a formality. The personal bond required for two people to be happily married should be strongly established long before any church event. At the end of the day, a wedding is a legal matter.
As for the criminal record thing, I think a morally conscious society has an obligation to keep those wishing to do crime from others. Now, in your case, I should think that a minor charge would be forgotten after a few years.
Did you even get convicted?

This is where the words "Secular state" come into play.

Yes, I was.
I think everyone should have equal rights, but I disagree about your criminal record. Basically, you have prooved that you are NOT eligable for full rights, because you have abused the ones you already have.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Aidy Damage
You and I must fiiiight for our riiiiiights, you and I must fiiiight tooo surviiiiive...

All this human rights bullshit is making me cringe. The police can't even release photos of criminals so they can be identified and caught because it infringes their 'human rights'. This guy has took someone's life/raped them/ate their unborn child, and they expect to keep their 'civil rights'. **** that!

Isolating criminals in that way increases the rate of reoffending and this has been shown in numerous studies. It doesn't solve anything.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by greety
It doesn't matter, haha! Because I'm a member of the Inner Party! Back to the streets, prole! I'm going to have some butter!

I get rather tired of people saying they're not homophobic and then opposing gay marriage. If you have two consenting adults, fit in mind, I see no reason to prevent them from being formally joined. Of course, religious fruitcakes try to stop society advancing as usual.
Quote by salemboicot
I have
one count of driving under the influence
2 counts of dangerous driving
one count of driving with a drug in my system
driving an un regestered car
driving an un warrented car
7 months periodic detention
2 years probation
2 arrests
1 count of producing a firearm (which buy the way was a bright orange water pistol and i still got arrested for it)
and it has never affected weather i get a job or not.

And what kind of work do you do?
Hi, I'm Peter
It says somewhere in the bible that its *searches for word*...not good? *fails* in the eyes of God if your gay. So no I dont think gays should marry, I'm not religious, its just the church would be hypocritical to allow it.
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
Quote by Daitrying
It says somewhere in the bible that its *searches for word*...not good? *fails* in the eyes of God if your gay. So no I dont think gays should marry, I'm not religious, its just the church would be hypocritical to allow it.

You don't need to have a church to be married. Do you oppose same-sex marriage if churches aren't used?
Quote by The Casualty

As I am not aware of Canadian law I only know US law. But if the records are witheld you do not have to say yes to the criminal. If you are under 18 you never have to say yes. You only have to say yes if it is a felony.
But hey if you break the law you must be punished.
well Casualty, i find myself strongly disagreeing with you in one thread and in the next one i read i'm strongly agreeing with you

I heard somewhere (I dunno if it's true) that shops and stuff have to employ people from different groups so that they don't appear racist, I think its utter bull.
Quote by alexlemon2
I heard somewhere (I dunno if it's true) that shops and stuff have to employ people from different groups so that they don't appear racist, I think its utter bull.

I'm tempted to put on application forms that I'm Afro-Caribbean, just to see whether they'll have the balls to ask me about it.
Quote by alexlemon2

I'm pretty sure that isn't true. To be honest I doubt people pay enough attention to notice the skin colour of employees in shops.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by wingedgopher
Well, as the song suggests, we have three rights.

1.) Not to be killed because murder is a crime (unless it was done by a policeman or an aristocrat).

2.) To food money (providing you don't mind going through hell to get it).

3.) To free speech (providing, of course, you're not dumb enough to actually try it).

a little late, yes but still BITCHIN!!!! You rock

oh know your rights!!!!!!!
Our rights don't really mean much. The government can just take them away whenever they want to
Quote by alexlemon2

They don't have to hire people from minority groups but they can't turn people down based on their ethnicity. Basically you don't have to hire asians but you can't tell someone no because they are asian.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Robbie n strat
I'm tempted to put on application forms that I'm Afro-Caribbean, just to see whether they'll have the balls to ask me about it.

I put on applications that I'm Native Canadian, even though it's true, I don't really look it. I also try to mention it in passing during the interview. I've never been called on it to produce any kind of documentation.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Well let's see, in the famous Federalist Papers by, amongst others, James Madison, the authors establish the importance of a majority which rules, but does not dominate. According to Madison specificially, a government loses it's title of a "democracy" when the majority begins to dominate and becomes tyrannical. It's still the rule of the majority, but such a majority can become totally dominating of the minority sector, creating a zero-sum product (reference to the essay The Tyranny of the Majority, you should all read it.)

So of course, in our society, we are under the shroud of the "majority rules" umbrella. We've come to accept the majority decision as the "right" decision, most capable of correct intentions, and the trumper of the minority. In such a society, where the majority votes that everyone be treated equal, equality is actually an impossible concept, because here is where the perpetuality of the minority not being able to have their opinions effected comes into play.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by alexlemon2

Its true in ny. Technicly (not that anybody follows it) but if its a corperate job, or just something thats not family-ran and is big enough (idk what verifies it to be big enough) then you do need to have a certain number of minorities. Not saying no matter what you need a black guy, but if you get 2 applicaitons that are equal and one of them is a minority you have to choose the minority. Again, not that anybody actually follows this law, but its still in the books.
Quote by absinthe5765
Its true in ny. Technicly (not that anybody follows it) but if its a corperate job, or just something thats not family-ran and is big enough (idk what verifies it to be big enough) then you do need to have a certain number of minorities. Not saying no matter what you need a black guy, but if you get 2 applicaitons that are equal and one of them is a minority you have to choose the minority. Again, not that anybody actually follows this law, but its still in the books.

It's called Affirmative Action and, as in the case of the Michigan University quota, the Supreme Court regularly rules it unConstitutional. Affirmitive Action is based on the explosive idea that certain groups CAN'T and need help.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Meths
Isolating criminals in that way increases the rate of reoffending and this has been shown in numerous studies. It doesn't solve anything.

Yep look at Australia
Quote by Leviethan
Yep look at Australia

And Georgia... once a debtor's colony, and now look at it...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Page 1 of 2