ok, can i make a song with power chords to sorta get a feel of a song and where i should take it. and once i completed the whole song, can i write down what chords i was playing and then try dif varitions of the notes chord.

basicly what im trying to say is

if i wrote a song that was in chords
G, B, D, C, G

can i mix the whole song into different vartions of those notes

damn,.. this is hard to explain
now what im writing below isnt real or anything just trying to give a better example cause im a dumb@55

can i play the g note in these shapes
9 5
9 7
0 7
4 OR and so on and so on.

just like if i have the basis of the song, and notes writing out, i can pick, strum etc...the G note in any other variation of it and will sound good and like the original power chord version just with more depth?

i know that prolly sounds really confusing, but im sure if you try it will make a bit more sense

and i know alot of people are probally wondering this, but can put it more simpler ahaha
thanks
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs
Last edited by brandenetc at Mar 5, 2007,
I am really confused...are you asking if you can take the open G chord and move it down and have it still be G? If that's what you're asking...no...It will become a different chord, named whatever note is on the E string (in this case). Make sure you move up the open notes as well.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

what i'm trying to say is...if i had made up a song, and the note's being played in it are "G A D" in the intro can i play "G A D" in powerchord form. then like in the chorus part play the "G A D" in differrent forms, maybe as something besides power chords as long as there "G A D" and a bridge another form of "G A D" notes.

does that make it a little more clear?
Well, why wouldn't it work out?
If their the same chords, even if the notes are "rearranged" it should come out sounding alright.
Oh..yes you can. But I wouldnt limit yourself like that. You're free to use any note (preferably ones in key...looks like you're in G) you want as long as it sounds good. Stick to G-A-D for the meat of the song if that's the stuff you've used so far, and throw in whatever else you want.

You're never forced to play notes (or not play them) ...theory just recommends certain ones because they are known to sound good together.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Yeah it's called inversions...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
ok thanks, now how could i add more depth to a song...like when theres 2 guitars in a song

how 1 guitar is picking stuff
and the other strumming stuff

and still sounds good togther, what is that sorta thing called, and how can i sorta do a song like like folloing THEORY?
Quote by brandenetc
ok thanks, now how could i add more depth to a song...like when theres 2 guitars in a song

how 1 guitar is picking stuff
and the other strumming stuff

and still sounds good togther, what is that sorta thing called, and how can i sorta do a song like like folloing THEORY?

Um, well.
Something basic and simple would be,
Guitar 1 - Plays the chords (Rhythm Guitar)
Guitar 2 - Plays a melody (Lead Guitar)

A simple melody would be to follow the chords on an octave higher.
I do stuff like that all the time, i have a short attention span. A good exercise to do is play along to songs you know but move the chords around....play open chords, play power chords, play funny little 2 & 3 note inversions on the top strings, play past the 12th fret, play the fretted notes an octave higher but leave the open strings (and pray that your intonation is spot on!).

For two guitars, what you can do is split the rhythm in that one player plays for example power chords whilst the other plays inversions on the top strings or an octave higher...it's a way to have chords that are physically impossible for one player to fret. Listen to the intro of "Strutter" by Kiss for a good example. Hotel California by the Eagles does a similar thing, there's three guitars all playing different things but based around the same chord...however playing any one part on it's own doesn't really sound right.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
oh wow, thanks. ill def check into this.

im gonna try the take the bands song, and try and move it up a octave and stuff.

is metal mostly in the key of Dminor
^ metal is in many keys, a toute la monde is in F minor, slipknot plays in drop B as a standard, metallica has some songs in A, so really its all over the place.
Quote by brandenetc
oh wow, thanks. ill def check into this.

im gonna try the take the bands song, and try and move it up a octave and stuff.

is metal mostly in the key of Dminor

Be careful about speaking of Dminor around here....

Anyway, any key will do quite fine. Many bands tune down to drop D, which is why you might come across many songs in D minor.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.