I'm be honest, I"m not too fond with theory...I just keep jumping around...then get lost...then jump around again...then get lost. It always repeats and I feel I barely learn ANYTHING.

Can someone help guide me?....maybe hold my hand? It gets jumbled up a lot and I need quite some help.

Thanks.

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
this website helps alot with things like pentatonic scales, and all the modes, and also other stuff. its a real good site
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Start by learning the notes all over your guitar. Just name the notes as you move your finger up and down the E string. Do this for 10 minutes a day, (5 in the morn, 5 in the eve) and after a week, you will know it like the back of your hand. Then next week do it with a different string, etc etc. You can speed up the process by practising the note names for a longer duration every day.

There is your starting point, plain and simple

Good luck on Theory Road
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
^Thanks a lot guys, I'll try do your little practice routine.

I'll be back in about a couple months .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Make sure you understand things before moving on. If you don't understand something, then feel free to ask about it.

Have fun
I agree with nightwind, Practice makes perfect. If your like me, and you have a short attention span and your starting to learn theory, take it slow and memerize the basics. I just started learning theory for piano by myself, and it can really be confusing, so im just taking it slow and I already know a decent amount.
Thanks guys.

I'm trying to take it slow and all, but it's sort of an exciting new world to music.

So far, I know a few scales, root notes, the enharmonics and the natural notes and...well, I think that's about it =\.

I"m planning on finishing up learning the fret board, but thanks again everyone, you're being a big help to me.

Actually, I have one quick question...

I've been playing around with my friend's with these well, camp fire songs if you will. And say the first chord is C. and it goes on and on...but it doesn't seem to go back but changes on and on...

I tried to solo with it on a scale on the root note C, but it just sounded off. Can somebody help me with this?

I have a feeling it has to do with modes.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
You also might want to try taking Music Theory lessons at your school, if you go to one. It'd be free and provide you with a teacher who can be hands on.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Jinskee
I'm be honest, I"m not too fond with theory...I just keep jumping around...then get lost...then jump around again...then get lost. It always repeats and I feel I barely learn ANYTHING.

Can someone help guide me?....maybe hold my hand? It gets jumbled up a lot and I need quite some help.

Thanks.

Good to see you here Jinksee.

Start with scales. Learn the modes. Of you have questions, feel free to ask.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
^

I had a small question about something a few posts up. If you can answer that, that'll be great.

Quote by HawkaLuigi
You also might want to try taking Music Theory lessons at your school, if you go to one. It'd be free and provide you with a teacher who can be hands on.

Yeah, I"m plannin on taking it my junior/senior year. The teacher said I basically have all the requirments down.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^

I had a small question about something a few posts up. If you can answer that, that'll be great.

Try and post the progression as best you can, as it really does make a large different.

Off the top of my head it is one of two things :

Your phrasing was just poor and you were hitting dissonant notes without being aware that they were going to be.

Or

There was a key change/ lots of accidentals that threw your scale choice off.

I'm pretty sure it was your first suggestion. It's just strange though, I just never know when to do what at what time. I'm find improvising a song I know; smoke on the water, sweet child o mine, ziggy stardust.

But when it comes to this, I'm just horrible. I've seen this dude I know solo it like it was nothing and it was just in pure harmony with everything.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^ don't worry, it is VERY possible to play like he does.

Are you able to post the chord progression?

^Ahh.

Well, here's what I THINK is the chord progression for the verses.

G#m
F#/Bb
B
C#m
B
A2

Then the chorus goes...

B
F#
E
G#m
B/Eb
E

Thanks for the help everyone, I really do appreciate it.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Ok, so what do you know so far. How to build chords? Scales? None?
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
Ok, so what do you know so far. How to build chords? Scales? None?

I've heard about it (building chords) but I do know scales and all...

Right now, I've been watching the Marty Friedman video of melody control several times now..

He's talking about hearing chords and solo-ing over them.

So the chords for the progression is--

E, D, A

So he solo's over the progression...but I just need an in-depth explanation on how? Theory is starting to become quite facinating to me...and I'm still wishing to learn it.

Also, yeah. Stupid me never reads the chords progression considering I'm so used to just staying at one box and moving to another one whenver I wish considering I play over power chords.

Help? Thanks a lot guys.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^Ahh.

Well, here's what I THINK is the chord progression for the verses.

G#m
F#/Bb
B
C#m
B
A2

Then the chorus goes...

B
F#
E
G#m
B/Eb
E

Thanks for the help everyone, I really do appreciate it.

Assuming, they're all major chords, dissonance ahoy!

C major is C D E F G A B, and a lot of notes in those chords have conflicting notes with that scale

Okay, in melodic control, I believe that the part you are talking about is when he is demonstrating how to use arpeggios, correct? Basically what he does is when there is a certain chord playing, he'll arpeggiate the chord - play the notes that make up the chord.

So if he was soloing over E D A, he would play E G# B over the E major chord, D F# A over the D major chord, and A C# E over the A major chord. So that's basically what he is doing. Arpeggiating is always a safe technique when soloing because it really helps outline the chord progression.
Pretty much what Kirb said. Pretty much you find the notes in the chord and you land on them when they come.

What else do you need help with?
DANNY

Oh the headaches!

I guess I really don't know too much of the basics I guess...

I guess I'll have to experiement with it then...I'm still quite confused on what to do though, but I can't seem to come up with a question.

I'll come back later.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Experiment with it with your...Rocker 30. Damn you! *gives a jealous look*

What confusing you?
DANNY

^

I don't know. Honestly, this is all giberish to me and I feel too lazy to learn anything! I'm actually quite depressed...in RL right now.

After reading over my posts, It seems that I'm asking the same thing over and over .

I understand how to locate notes, yet, I haven't rememorized them off the top of my head.

Alright, let's try this again. *takes big breath in*

So...talking about friedman's video...He plays E,D,A and he solo's over those chords. So basically, I just need to find ___ chords to arppegiate over?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
So if he was soloing over E D A, he would play E G# B over the E major chord, D F# A over the D major chord, and A C# E over the A major chord. So that's basically what he is doing. Arpeggiating is always a safe technique when soloing because it really helps outline the chord progression.

^Question about that...

So where exactly is the A Major Chord!?

And why are you using those notes for those chord, specifically?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Ok, to build chords, you use the uber awesome leap frog technique, since most chords are built on 3rds.

To find out a major chord, we take the major scale and spell it out. Lets take A, like you said.

The A major scale contains: A B C# D E F# G#

Lets leap frog starting on A: A (jump over B) C# (now we jump over D) E. We now have our major triad. (A C# E)

Why would we land on those notes? Because they're in the chords, and sound great with them.

I hope thats clear.
DANNY

Ah!! I understasnd...somewhat now!

Thanks man!

So you just jump over one every time...

So those are in the A major scale...so If there was a different chord progression, i would have to follow a different scale. eh?

Also, If he's playing the chords A, I should be playing at the Root of A and end on A, C#, or E, yes?

If this is correct, then I think I'm starting to understand.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Ah!! I understasnd...somewhat now!

Thanks man!

So you just jump over one every time...

So those are in the A major scale...so If there was a different chord progression, i would have to follow a different scale. eh?

Also, If he's playing the chords A, I should be playing at the Root of A and end on A, C#, or E, yes?

If this is correct, then I think I'm starting to understand.

Wait, are you talking about the chords in the video, with Marty or the chords that you posted a whiile back?
DANNY

The chords in the video.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
When he lands on the chords, you play the notes in it. But, to figure out the chords in the rest of the key, you just leap frog with the root.
DANNY

And the rootnote should be on the bottom strings, yes?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Not always. There are such things called chord inversions. But most of the time, yes.
DANNY

^Alright, thanks man. I guess I just need to work on my phrasing.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R