Hey all.
I know this is a stupid newbie question, but what the hell, you don't know till you ask eh?
So my question is: On huge gigs, let's say 500,000 people ( ), bands have walls of amps, with thousands Watts of power,and they probably turn it real loud so the whole audience could hear it, but how come the band and all the techs near the stage don't get deaf?
I know the band members wear some kind of earphones, but is it for that purpose? and how do these earphones block such a loud sound?
^^

yes they wear earplugs to soften the sound a bit or muffle the sound before it comes
into contact with your eardrums

I'm not sure though...

alot of em are actually fake. they are for show purposes and dont have elcetronics in them. what they do is they mic some of the amps and run it through a P.A so its not really as loud as you think but they probably still do anyways.
Quote by Walkin'Basser
Hey all.
I know this is a stupid newbie question, but what the hell, you don't know till you ask eh?
So my question is: On huge gigs, let's say 500,000 people ( ), bands have walls of amps, with thousands Watts of power,and they probably turn it real loud so the whole audience could hear it, but how come the band and all the techs near the stage don't get deaf?
I know the band members wear some kind of earphones, but is it for that purpose? and how do these earphones block such a loud sound?

first thing wrong with that, they actually dont use all those amps, they are dummies to look cooler.. They would have only one mic'd up running thru a beast of a pa, so it wouldnt be half as loud on the actual stage bar the moniter. and most tech's/band members wear earphone moniters which are basically soundproof like sehneiser.
alot of musicians actually do have really bad hearing... i read in a article that slash bursted this guys eardrums because he let him use his amp and not knowing what the volume was. he put his head really close to the amp and BOOM!!!
when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - jimi hendrix
Quote by Diamond Dave
yeah they only use one and mic it up

bar the example of a few, and alot have their amps back stage believe it or not.. Like metallica, have a rack system back stage which the sound techs control!
Thanks for the answers.
How does micing an amp work? The sound comes out of other speakers? where are they located?
Put a speaker in front of the speaker (Directly) that mic is hooked up to the pa to which allllll tho many speakers are connected to, and thats where your sound comes from! And you amp doesnt need to be too loud at all!
Quote by False_God
Put a speaker in front of the speaker (Directly) that mic is hooked up to the pa to which allllll tho many speakers are connected to, and thats where your sound comes from! And you amp doesnt need to be too loud at all!

I get it all now.
Thanks man
+1 to what the other guys said. Usually there's only one or two cabs out of that big wall that are actually powered up. The guys onstage are usually just hearing those one or two cabs plus whatever they choose to have run into their wedge monitors. The band is behind the PA speakers so it's actually way louder right in front of the stage than it is onstage. Musicians probably should (but usually don't) wear earplugs but it's the audience members directly in front of the PA speakers that are really getting blasted. Go to a few shows and sit directly in front of the PA a few times and your hearing will start going downhill really fast.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.