Hi everyone, I was noodling on my acoustic and found a pretty sweet chord, however, I'm not sure what it actually is. It's effectively a variant of G major as far as I can tell but with the basic fretting positions shifted up the neck by two frets. However, all the open strings in the standard G major shape are kept open rather than barred. So to explain, the chord looks like so:

e -5
B -5
G -0
D -0
A -4
E -5

Any ideas? And thanks in advance.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I was noodling in D major and if you play that as a transition out of a G major chord it sounds really nice. What I did was I emphasized the fretted strings with arpeggioes and stuff but I thought it sounds quite nice. Any ideas what I was actually playing though?
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by Johnljones7443
That chord you are playing is A11.

Thankies ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Actually it's not. For an A11 chord you'd need the A major triad, 7th, 9th and 11th, and the fingering would be 540057. The chord you have there is missing the 9th so it's an A7add11.
Quote by indrek13
Actually it's not. For an A11 chord you'd need the A major triad, 7th, 9th and 11th, and the fingering would be 540057. The chord you have there is missing the 9th so it's an A7add11.

I think I have a new favourite chord name ^_^

Thanks ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by indrek13

No, it isn't. 'Add' isn't required when the 7th interval above the root is present, regardless of whether some tones are omitted.
Quote by Johnljones7443
No, it isn't. 'Add' isn't required when the 7th interval above the root is present, regardless of whether some tones are omitted.

I hear what you are saying, but my resources also say A7add11.
Your resources are wrong.

A11

add is ONLY necessary if the extensions are added without a 7th present.
I personally really didnt like that chord, and i have no idea what it is, but meh
Quote by Jaysin
I hear what you are saying, but my resources also say A7add11.

Hey that's fine. Your resources aren't wrong - they're just pointing something out that isn't really necessary. The reason most chords don't include an 'add' when the 7th is present is because most of the time, the voicing of the chord is included with the chord label (such as on tab, or a jazz lead sheet). If the voicing is present, we already know the 9th isn't included in the chord and writing A7add11 becomes a waste of space. Much like writing G7(b5, #5, b9, #9) would be a waste of space, because G7alt does the same job and when the voicing is present, you can see which alterations are present - so you don't need G7(b5, #5, b9, #9).

Some of the time it depends on the chord type, Cmaj7#11 (which can be shortend further to just CΔ#11) would never be written as Cmaj7add#11 simply because the 9th is rarely seen in the chord because Cmaj7#11 defines the tonality more than Cmaj9#11.

Sometimes, instead of writing out the full chord symbol like Cmaj7#11, C6/9 or C-7b9 the basic function of the chord will just be written, instead of Cmaj7#11 you'll just see C, instead of C-7b9 - you'll just see C-. Because when the voicing is present you know what the chord is and the notes it contains, and the label is just showing you the basic function of the chord. In that sense it has a lot to do with saving space, benig easier to read and not taking aslong to write.

Writing A7add11 or A7(11) isn't wrong, just unneccesary in these circumstances.

Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by chubbychunks
It's a horrible chord .

Try playing it as a transition out of a standard G major chord into something in D major, like a B minor or D major chord, and if you're playing fingerstyle, emphasize the E, A, B and e strings. It sounds really good but I wouldn't use it as a basis for a song. I just wanted to know what it was called and whether it really was an A major chord (which we now know it is).

Anyways, thanks guys ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65