I'm talking about the ones where you move your pick so the guitar squeals, not the harmonics that you tap.

Anyway, how do you do them? I'm almost killing my guitar trying to get harmonics on the lower strings, and it STILL doesn't work.
Search for pinch harmonics, there are tons of threads about them, lots of videos on YouTube as well.
It took me a while to get them down properly, you just need to practice a lot.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
you have to find the right position to pinch the string, so just experiment to see where...
theres no PINCHING persay, your brushing the string with your thumb after youve hit the string, try this 1. pick a note, harder than normal, but not enough to rip the string out of the saddle, 2. take the side of your thumb *the side closest to you when your holding your pick* and gently lay it against the string, youll get some sort of harmonic sound, search around the length of the string if you have trouble finding it. On les pauls it seems to get a good Zakk wylde sound just before the bridge pickup, but keep doing this, and eventually start bringin the two together.

Make sure your choking up on your pick so only about 1-2mm is sticking out and youll get it. id suggest getting it down on the G string at about the fifth fret, once you have the technique do it on the top strings, i showed my drummer how to do it, and he got it down about the second day.
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
I might have to try this because harmonic squeals sound badass but I've never really attempted to learn how to make them.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Also note that different pickup configurations will yield louder or softer harmonics on certain areas of the guitar. This is something you discover through trial and error.

Example: on my Ibanez, there is a good harmonic above the neck pickup that is most audible when played through the bridge pickup.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by zed leppelin
theres no PINCHING persay, your brushing the string with your thumb after youve hit the string

i should have said "pinch", so you don't take literally everything i say...

Quote by Bazilisck311
Example: on my Ibanez, there is a good harmonic above the neck pickup that is most audible when played through the bridge pickup.

^^try this, it's what seems to be the easiest way on my jackson too...
Last edited by 666_Belial at Mar 5, 2007,
i think for me the easiest spot to do them would be at the A string 3rd fret

and a good way to start getting them would be to this little lick/riff whatever but it's the way i learned to get them while playing something and not just trying to pull harmonics out of my guitars ass.

-------------------------------------------------
--2----------------------------------------------
--2----------------------------------------------
--0---0--0--[3]--------------------------------
      PM---]   H
For pinch harmonics on the lower/thicker stings, you need to find the right spot to do it. This is usually the 3rd 5th 7th and 12th fret - basically anywhere you can get natural harmonics. You also have to use a lot of vibrato to ring out the harmonic.
Quote by Gbell3587
For pinch harmonics on the lower/thicker stings, you need to find the right spot to do it. This is usually the 3rd 5th 7th and 12th fret - basically anywhere you can get natural harmonics. You also have to use a lot of vibrato to ring out the harmonic.

Also the second fret, and you don't need a lot of vibrato, i can do them perfectly and have them ring out without any vibrato.