First off, if you have anything negative to say, keep it to yourself. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years but I've only started to REALLY play guitar and get into it for the last 3 months. I'm starting to learn everything I can, lately it's been pickups and the different typs of them...

So, I have a Kirk Hammett signature (lesser model) 202. I bought it with my limited experience, but it seemed to have what I wanted at the time for a decent price: good action, floating trem, 24 frets; definitely an upgrade from the shitty $112.00 squire I had for YEARS. Yuck.

Now, the more I learn, the more I know what I want in a guitar. Lately I've been obsessing over Steve Vai, and I absolutely love the sound he has, and I've decided that I pretty much want the sound he has. I understand that body materials, the way the neck is connected to the body and stuff like that affect tone and sound. So I know I won't be able to copycat the sound of the JEM, but that's cool, I just mainly love the pickups he selected.

(Main) Situation 1: Pickups (I'm workin with the hardware I've got here people)

Right now I've been learning about the difference between active and passive pickups. I have also learned that my KH-202 is pretty much the only model in the line of KH signature guitars that has passives instead of actives (dammit). Here's what I want to do: take out the EMGs, which really aren't as good as I've heard they were, and put in an active DiMarzio Evolution neck humbucker and an active Evo 2 bridge humbucker. I honestly don't know if this is a stupid sounding idea to you; I honestly just don't have the experience to tell. As stated above, I can't be buying another guitar to make this easier. I know it sounds like taking an older car that's automatic and making it a stick. Anyone would tell you,"Dude, just buy a new car." But I can't be spending money on a new guitar. I just don't have it.

The problem is, I don't know if I have room for a pre-amp and battery clip, which I have no problem mounting externally if it comes to that since I'm not that worried about the aesthetic look of the guitar. I just want sound.

What do I need to make this work? I understand I need what's called a dpdt (something like that) switch and a different jack that will also act as a swith to turn the system on and off to avoid battery drainage.

(Secondary) Situation 2: Overall Hardware

The KH-602 has an original Floyd Rose. Mine, the 202, has a licenced, which is COMPLETE shit. I want to know if I can put an edge trem in there, and if not at least a good REAL Floyd. The problem is, the... i dunno, cavity I think it is, is not very deep. At the moment, I can only bend up so far until the back of the trem actually hits the bottom. NOT cool. I want to know If I can kinda dig it out a little deeper without ruining the sound of the guitar or ruining ANYTHING for that matter. Again, if it just ruins the aesthetic look, I don't care.

Lastly, does anyone know if I can put a tremsetter in that bitch? I think it'll solve a lot of my typical floating trem problems with inadvertent tweakage.

I realize that this might sound like a completely stupid idea, but this is what I want, and another guitar is just NOT happenning. I understand that going from passive to active is theoretically possible most of the time, but is a REAL project. I dunno...

So, please excuse me if my knowledge of guitars is really bad. I'm learning as fast as I can. Tired of being ignorant.

Thank you very much to anyone who answers me sincerely. Thank you to anyone who is actually able to answer my far out questions at ALL
Last edited by BrodudesnSupras at Mar 5, 2007,
Evolutions aren't active, so there's no need for battery packs and all that jazz, but they are light years beyond anything EMG can touch. Good luck, Evolutions are pickups for professional lead guitarists, if you make mistakes, you are gonna hear it.

EDIT: If you are into the heavier sound, which I gathered from the fact that you have a KH sig, dont get the Evo 2, get an Evo 1 bridge and Evo 1 neck, slightly higher output and better for all that cool metally stuff!
Hmmm, the dork at the guitar shop said they were. Heh, wow. all that research for nothing That's okay. Now I have the knowledge. I know I'll hear the mistakes, but I want to. The way I learn, it's good for me. Doesn't bother me much.

and I'm actually not that much into the heavier stuff, I just got the KH because I didn't fully know what I was doing.lol. But I'm workin on it...

Edit, can you give mne some links that show that they aren't active? lol i HAVE to be sure. abnd it amazes me they aren't with the power they have.
Evos are passive, Dimarzio don't make any actives...Evo bridge output is 404mv, the Super Distortion is 425mv, D-Sonic 390mv and X2N 500-something so they aren't unusually powerful.

However, what amp are you running through - that's going to have far more bearing on your sound than the pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
However, what amp are you running through - that's going to have far more bearing on your sound than the pickups.

Heh, I was waiting for someone to say that. And that I do know. I'm going through a fender deluxe 900.

Edit: can someone give me some input on my secondary situation?
Hmmm...not sure how well that's going to work, I don't think you'll get a Vai tone that's for sure. Fender's are pretty bright amps, and it's a solid state model....couple that with treble-heavy screamers like the Evo's in your bright (maple) guitar and the end product might not be that nice. In an ideal world you'd have a decent tube amp, but you don't so we have to work round it. Just checking, have you tried a Jem through your amp to see what it's like?

I personally reckon you'd be better off with a pair of Breeds, they're much warmer and less trebly than the Evo's. The end result should be a much better tone balance than Evos. Get yourself a Boss DS-1 for distortion too if you don't already have one, Vai only really uses one with the gain down as a boost but you that might not work so well on a solid state amp, you might be better off running it through the clean channel.

As far as the trem goes an original or quality licensed (Schaller, Gotoh) floyd will be a direct replacement, the Ibanez models would require some routing and possibly extra drilling...madpickin03 is the expert.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 5, 2007,
Okay. I'll try both pickups and see which ones I like best. I actually DO have a DS-1. What kinda amp does he use anyway? My friend actually has the JEM7V but I can't try it since he wont be back for a couple of months. damn.

Thanks for the advice! Keep it comin!
He uses his signature Carvin Legacy heads, Bogners and no doubt some other stuff...basically all tube amps.

And a shedload of rackmount stuff live
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Jesus Christ. The Carvin head alone is 1,600 bucks. A good Bogner is probably 2,000. There's no way in hell. Any budget friendly solutions?
These are probably as low as you'd want to go pricewise, anything less probably won't be worthwhile. They're all cheap tube amps that should be a good basis for the tones you want - there's always the Epi Valve Junior but I'm not sure if the voicing is a bit vintage, best bet is to try it with the DS1 and see how it goes...and it is only $99 so a lot cheaper than anything else. Hopefully someone who owns one will be able to shed a bit more light on things.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G40V-Tube-Amp?sku=489052
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V1512T-15-Watt-Class-A-Tube-Combo?sku=481755
http://www.music123.com/Laney-VC15-110-Guitar-Combo-Amp-(Closeout)-i250019.music
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046

There's also the JSX Mini Colossal when it comes out...dunno what it sounds like but if it's a Satch signature then it's not unreasonable to expect it to be geared towards those kind of smooth, midrangey tones.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVJSXMINI
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Right on man, thanks. Heh, MUCH better prices. Would you happen to know if the Tremsetter is pretty much a universal thing BTW?
AFAIK the Hipshot thing works on pretty much any floating bridge, i think Ibanez stopped making their "Backstop" tremsetters but you could probaby find one on Ebay.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc