I have a Dual Rectifier Solo Head. Yesterday, I noticed that the sound was a little off. I looked at the tubes and the left 2 power tubes (looking at the back of the head) were glowing extremely brightly while the other 2 weren't. I also noticed an electrical smell like it was running too hot. After they cooled down, I removed all the power tubes and put them back in. I noticed that the middle, plastic post from the far right tube had broken off in the socket. Not the little metal pins that are round the bottom of the tube, just the middle plastic post with the slot on it. So my question is two-fold:

1) What is causing my tubes to do that? My theory is that the tube with the broken post is working itself loose and when I push it back in there, it is okay. This is the second time this has happened and both times pushing down on the tubes worked. However, when Ido push them down, they don't feel loose.

2) I plan on replacing the tubes in the near future. How to I get the broken post from inside the socket? I can see it and can try a few things but I wondered if anyone has had a similar experience that can tell me what works so I don't have to go through the whole trial and error thing. I don't really want to use a raw potato.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
Is it still under warranty? If so, take it back to your dealer and make them fix it!
I bought it used.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa 412 slant cab
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
unless you really know what you're doing, or it's easy to grab on to the key post, I would be inclined to take it somewhere where they have tools. There are large amounts of voltage connected the sockets because of the capacitors(pin 3 iirc), and they can store lethal voltage even when the amp is off. Not sure what you meant by the potato thing, but no jamming anything into the sockets!

As for coming loose, I have seen that happen on combo amps from vibration, but I haven't seen it on a head. I don't doubt it could happen though, especially with a broken key pin. It could also be a bad tube causing a mild intermittient short, which screws up the bias on the other pair too. It could be just shutting it down is enough to make it work for another stretch. I would probably take it to a tech, and have them remove the key post and possibly put in new tubes if they are bad. It is pretty easy to replace them yourself on Mesa's, but you want to get that center key out safely. You don't have to use Mesa tubes either, any of the main tube sellers should be aware of Mesa's fixed bias and be able to test for it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If they're STR-440's, all you need is a quad set of 6L6GC Ruby's. That's what they are, they just have the $20 per bulb Mesa name put on it.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Thanks, I'll check and see if that is what they are tonight. Do you have the Rubys in your Dual Rec? Do you notice any difference in the tone? I have heard goog things about the Rubys. I have also heard goog things about JJ tubes and TungSols.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa 412 slant cab
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
whichever you decide, you want to get a matched set, and you want the vendor to know and test for Mesa's fixed bias. Mesa tubes are rebranded, but they do test them to fall within the correct bias specs for their amps. At $42 per pair, they are more expensive, but they also carry a 6 month warranty, and they are color coded so you can replace one tube at a time without having to get another matched set.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yea, mine are still stock tubes. Try Dougstubes.com and give him a holler. He's got great prices, but I have yet to order anything from him. He comes recommended though. He told me for more of a metal tone, Svetlanas are good. So that's probably what I'll go for next.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Is there a heat sink fan in Dual Rectos? I had a similar problem with the burning smell with my Mark IV when I first got it. The wire to the heat sink fan was loose and it wasn't functioning properly.

And Doug is awesome. I got my tubes on Christmas Eve day and I ordered them on Dec. 22. If you place an order for over $100, he'll ship to you for free, and I believe it was express shipping.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have not seen not heard a heat sink fan on my Dual Rec.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa 412 slant cab
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
Sorry to revive a old thread but,

The same thing has happened to me on my mesa 2: fifty power amp.

I just bought it used from guitar center today, so should I return it and see what they could do about it?
Quote by mrmnson
I bought it used.
This is why I only buy new. The lower price of used amps don't justify the risk.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
This is why I only buy new. The lower price of used amps don't justify the risk.

It definitely does, especially when (in my case) you're saving $1000.

There's very little things that can happen to a used tube amp that hasn't been abused. Either way, depending on the price you got it for, repairing something broken on it is almost certainly still cheaper than buying the amp new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jake911
What do you mean red plating? as in the tubes being biased too hot?

Yep, there could be a problem with the bias circuit, the tubes could just be biased too hot, or the tubes themselves may have problems.

LOL at Van Noord.
So should I just return it to guitar center?

I mean I haven't even plugged the thing in except the only problem is that the plastick guides on the tubes got stuck inside.
I don't know if guitar center has techs or not (the one close to where I live doesn't), if not, bring it to an amp tech. Don't mess with the interior if you don't know what you are doing, you could not only damage the amplifier, but give yourself a nice death by electric shock as well.
I will probably return it since it is still under warranty from them and stuff.
Quote by Van Noord

well id rather save a few hundred on used and fix a minor problem for $50 then buy new amps as soon as you buy a new amp you are loosing money
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
Quote by jake911
I will probably return it since it is still under warranty from them and stuff.

Wait, someone asked you before if it was still under warranty and your answer was "I bought it used." Usually that doesn't mean it has a warranty, if you bought it from GC and it still has a warranty, then yes take it back, I don't know why you wouldn't
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wait, someone asked you before if it was still under warranty and your answer was "I bought it used." Usually that doesn't mean it has a warranty, if you bought it from GC and it still has a warranty, then yes take it back, I don't know why you wouldn't

You're confusing him with the original TS.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It is used but i bought a warranty from them, In case something like this occurred.

I want to see if they can fix it and perhaps throw in some tubes, or I might just end up getting some JJ's.