i would like to buy the gibson les paul studio. is it a good guitar? i play hard rock, rock, classic rock, and some clean stuff to. i heard a little clip of it and it sounded pretty good just wanna know how it is
Quote by garrett7
i would like to buy the gibson les paul studio. is it a good guitar? i play hard rock, rock, classic rock, and some clean stuff to. i heard a little clip of it and it sounded pretty good just wanna know how it is

I had it...and well...I didnt like it AT ALL!!!
First chance I got I changed it for a Strat Deluxe
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
I know several people that have them. They sound okay but the quality, while good for a ~$1k guitar is really good, I found it to be inferior to the higher priced LPs. I went ahead, saved up my pennies for a while longer and got an LP Standard and I could be more happy. I found the LP Studio to be satisfactory and the the LP Standard to be over the top awesome. It was worth the extra money to me.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
I have had mine for 6+ years and I got rid of every other 6 string I had. It is perfect for me. Even though I do alot of different projects in different genres(classic rock, hard rock. prog rock, metal, black metal, hardcore even punk at one time) it rises to the challenge of them all. You must know that the neck on a studio is a bit thick. If that does not turn you off then you will love it. For me the thick neck is perfection. I have large hands/long fingers, so it fits me like a glove. DEFINATELY try it out before you make the commitment. They are built like tanks and can handle just about any abuse you throw at them.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Try it and then try a Fender Strat, Tele, Gibson SG, etc.
It's all personal preference, but for 1000.00, I'd buy an SG Standard.
If you want a unique Les Paul,

Go for a 'Smartwood'

They're like amazing variations on the 'Les Paul' series.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
what is the SG standard like? i love the looks of them. also what is the smartwood like?
Quote by garrett7
what is the SG standard like? i love the looks of them. also what is the smartwood like?

You'll have to play them. The Les Paul will feel like a boulder compared to the SG. Its light, plays fast and has better upper fret access. The neck is a bit thicker and more rounded on the backside, kinda like a 50's neck Paul. All mohonany, set neck, great pickups. I love them.
i've got one, it's absoloutly great, the sound is amazing, you can play anything you want, all kinds of rock and some of the metalish sounds.. it's got a fat neck so it's not an easy guitar to shredd on, the finish is not the best either, not like the lp standards, but who the hell cares about finish, all i care about is sound!!! just one thing, don't make the same mistake i did, i baught a SHITY amp!!!
I've got the SG Classic, the reissue with the P90s. One of the coolest sounding pickups in my opinion, very versitile in what they can do. I love the feel of the SG, thin, light, and when you play loud the whole guitar body resonates, it feels like it's alive. Very cool.
Quote by Adry007
I had it...and well...I didnt like it AT ALL!!!
First chance I got I changed it for a Strat Deluxe

That's more your fault for not knowing that you wanted a single coil guitar instead of one with humbuckers...

I'm of the opinion that the older Les Paul Studios were built better than the newer ones.

My buddy has a 90's one and it plays amazingly well.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well the LP is one of the two most successfull designs (along with the Strat) in history. It's a great guitar but obviously a matter of taste. Some people love them some hate them. They are VERY heavy and solid-feeling and always come with humbuckers, which sound fat and are particularly good for heavier music. The Studio is just a stripped-down, less-expensive version but still a good guitar. Obviously, try it out before buying, Gibson has less-then-stellar quality control considering how expensive they are, and I personally don't like their stock pickups, it's usually worth it to replace them with EMG's, Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio's, depending on the sound you're going for.

One other tip, I've always like Les Pauls and have owned quite a few but I discovered the Japanese lawsuit LP copies a couple of years ago and will never go back to Gibsons. Burny and Edwards (as well as Greco, Tokai, Orville and 70s-era Ibanez) both make excellent quality LP's (as well as SG's, Explorer's, etc) that are generally around 1/4th the cost of a comparable Gibson. They aren't sold in the US or Europe but can be found on Ebay and at various offshore web-stores:

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar1.html

http://orangeguitar.com/forsale/allelectricguitars.htm

I have a couple of Burny LP Customs that feel, sound and look just like a $3000+ Gibson Custom. I love the hell out of both of them and both cost me well under $1000. Awesome guitars (Edwards have just as good a reputation as well):

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/guitars_burny_index.html

SG's are nice too but with a much thinner body and sound than a LP. They're also weighted a little weird, with a headstock that is heavy compared to the body.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Play one first before thinking of buying one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30