I have a problem with Palm muting, I can do it, it is just really hard when i have to do it like this...

(first vesre from Dig up her bones by The Misfits)

verse)
eb|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Bb|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Gb|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Db|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|--9--9-9-9-9-9--5--5-5-5-5-5--7--7-7-7-7-7---------------------------------|
Eb|--7--7-7-7-7-7--3--3-3-3-3-3--5--5-5-5-5-5--7-5-7-5-7-5-7-5-7--------------|
(PM) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Everything is easy, but i seem to mess up when i try to palm mute and keep the beat. It's like my pick is flying all around the strings.

Any help?
keep your wrist anchored on the bridge, just lay it there and let your wrist pivot to move the pick. practise, basically
When I do palm muting on the lower strings like that, I anchor my pinky finger on the high e (eb in your case) string. It provides a constant frame of reference for you hand, works really well for me at least.
do you keep your pick hand closed? my buddy plays with a closed pick hand and he has a lot of trouble with palm muting as well... especially the lower strings... but what I do is when im playing i keep my pinky anchored just below the high E string (Eb for you) and my ring finger on the E string..... the only part of my hand that is closed when i play is my index and thumb...it gives you the entire outside of your palm to mute with.... (i.e. hold the pick with your index and thumb only, keep other fingers in a natural or relaxed position) and that seems to work for me... it also helped my buddy out too.... hope this helps
Quote by DLrocket89
When I do palm muting on the lower strings like that, I anchor my pinky finger on the high e (eb in your case) string. It provides a constant frame of reference for you hand, works really well for me at least.

Yea, I do the same thing, so much that the corner of my Bridge pickup cover is smudged and oxidized so bad that It won't come off. But it seems to keep my palm muting steady in volume and timbre.

But looking at the picture of your guitar, it might be harder to palm mute because theres no stop tail or trem to sit your palm on. Smaller area, but I'm sure it's possible.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Quote by webbtje
keep your wrist anchored on the bridge, just lay it there and let your wrist pivot to move the pick. practise, basically

Is that not a bad habit? I do that, I kinda leave my hand resting between bridge and tailpiece almost constantly when playing most things other than strumming.. Its sortof like anchoring, so I assumed it could be a bad habit to get into..

By this I do mean I rest it there and still play, I don't properly lift it off to pick..

David
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Don't anchor your pinky, that's a bad habit and restricts the free motion of your hand. Not all palm muting is on the lower strings, so when you later encounter higher muting you won't be able to do it because those notes will be dead notes.