ok so i have a neck and one piece of fret wire was too high so i took it out and sanded it down, i then replaced the fret wire and entered an easily fixxed dilemma.

how do i get the sanded down area to the original colour? is it just an oiling it needs or will a can of clear coat deal with?
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
no its the neck wood i'm having the trouble with, not the metal i already cleaned that.
Quote by sg255

Quote by GD_GC

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Linseed oil worked very well for me when I scalloped my frets.
so that should be enough to restore its colour?
Quote by sg255

Quote by GD_GC

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
nope maple
Quote by sg255

Quote by GD_GC

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Maple fretboards get their colour from the clear coat. You'll need to clear coat, or coat the spots in tung oil. Unless you do a full refinish, you'll be left with a noticible spot.

Next time be more careful.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Taking the fret out to sand it down wasn't the best idea, it could have been very easy to go too low.

Why is the fretboard a different colour? what where you sanding? why? A fret level should be done without removing the frets and the fretboard should nt be touched.
i removed the fret cos i noticed that it was to high over the B-string and when i removed i found that the fret hole got shallower towards that end. so i sand down the area slightly and got a very thin file to make the fret hole deeper.

I'm not a n00b when it comes to wood working so i knew what i was doing. all i didn't know was how to acheive the same maple shade, i.e. the sanded area was lighter. however i can clear coat it... I have the techknowledgy (sp?).
Quote by sg255

Quote by GD_GC

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas