Right now it is hard to make some songs that don't sound super straight forward. To be honest I don't have such a great way with words even when I talk to people. My songs end up sorta bland.

So my question is this, is poetry/songwriting something you are just naturally really good at or do you have to practice it to really unlock what you can do?
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
definately got to practice. never be afraid to look at a dictionary or thesaurus. word choice is critical. other than that, just keep going and something godd will come eventually
Thanks. Right now I have a lot of good lines written down. Whenever I think of something good I just write it on whatever I have available, but then when I get home or the next day I lose the mood and can't really finish the song.

I should look through that pile and try to put some stuff together.

Another question I guess is do you guys always write your best songs when you are "in the mood" or do sometimes just rationally think the song through?
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
read good books, and poetry by other people and listen to the lyrics of great songwriters. Don't copy them but you've got to find out the kind of tricks they use to create certain atmospheres and images and stuff.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM Dorkus Malorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.

Please, crit my song!
Vision at the Stairs
Quote by Rib5
Thanks. Right now I have a lot of good lines written down. Whenever I think of something good I just write it on whatever I have available, but then when I get home or the next day I lose the mood and can't really finish the song.

I should look through that pile and try to put some stuff together.

Another question I guess is do you guys always write your best songs when you are "in the mood" or do sometimes just rationally think the song through?

The mood usually does it for me.
There's a bit of natural talent involved, and literary skills, but if you do it a lot you get better, nobody starts off amazing.

Key tip:
Don't try and force lyrics. Only write something when you feel inspired to. Even if this means only doing part of a song and coming back to it later (which can actually help you to notice what's bad).

Also, try singing your stuff to yourself or imagining it in your head. If it doesn't go well, then change it.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Look at some examples. I like to look at some of John Lennons songs like Across the Universe and you can see a pattern he used.

Or you can go the Jack Black style, who cares what you're saying, make it sound cool!

Either way it helps to write something you are very passionate about so you put more feeling into it. It's not always about wording, sometimes you just have to get a message out any way you can that is honest and other people can relate to.
Quote by break-me-in

Key tip:
Don't try and force lyrics. Only write something when you feel inspired to. Even if this means only doing part of a song and coming back to it later (which can actually help you to notice what's bad).

Which is the opposite of what Leonard Cohen says, heh. He says if it's what you have chosen to do , then you must live it. You must write everyday, even when you don't want to. That's how you get better.

It requires more dedication and is humbling, but is no doubt a better method.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
i recommend a dictaphone (the tiny tape recorders) and the "only when inspired to" method. cuz you never know when something cool might go rolling through your head so you keep a dictaphone around to record it. sometimes it might be when driving down the road (i get it alot driving down the road) or just wherever.
Check out the FAQ sticky in the lyrics & songwriting forum. Its REALLY helpful. Read it all. That and just write what you feel. Don't try to force lyrics. Don't try to write a song that doesn't express you %100. You can't just decide to write a song about something you don't feel very deeply about.
We're only strays.
Some people are naturally better at it than others, and so will always have a distinct advantage over us illet iwwit illitawat people-who-aren't-so-good-with-the-words-and-them-coming-out-in-the-right-order thing.

But it DOES get easier. Keep at it!
R E G G A E
Just be honest. Nobody ever wrote anything original by trying to write something original. Just write down the truth and people'll respect it.
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
^ is right, honesty is the best way to go. an audience can smell BS from a mile away. if you're singing something you don't believe in they'll know it instantly.
Don't "only write when you're inspired"

that's no way to get good at anything

good English, specifically poetry, is a skill. practice it; devise for yourself exercises, and do it as much as possible. While your best work may only come to you in moments, without the technique you won't be able to express it properly.
what 's your genre

because if its metal there is nothing easier than writing metal lyrics haha or epic lyrics hehehe
look at manowar heheheheh kill enemies of metal power steel king metal sword they take those words and fill empty spaces with words hahah
-Jackson KE-2 (made in 1985)
with dimarzio paf pro bridge evoltion neck

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1

-audigy 2 zs :p
Quote by Nick_
Don't "only write when you're inspired"

that's no way to get good at anything

good English, specifically poetry, is a skill. practice it; devise for yourself exercises, and do it as much as possible. While your best work may only come to you in moments, without the technique you won't be able to express it properly.

I'm getting to llike you more and more.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
im kinda an in-between guy..

i only start a song when im inspired by something.. and i write as much as my brain is able to produce at the moment. ..

i never try to find chords for the lines that i produce while inspired until after i cant think of more words to write.. then i use the same inspiration to think of the melody i want and how i think the chords should go.. then i find those chords and write em down.

then i go in later (maybe a day or two, maybe a week) with those chords and force myself to come up with lyrics to finish the song.

i also kinda feel that being a good lyricist is something that is natural.. youre either good with words or youre not.. but i think it is something that must be worked on and honed(sp?) to your own personal style. for instance, ive been told i write good lyrics, but i feel theyre too straight forward in their awkward metephorical ways.
I write when im inspired, but it comes very easily for me. Ive been writing lyrics for around 3 years i beleive. What type of lyrics are you wanting to write? I guess it doesnt really matter. When i write, i usually just get a line or two down. If they rhyme, they should do it naturally, dont force anything. But often i come up with a song, and i have nothing to record/write it down on. Then i keep working it over for the day and it gets better and better.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by Xerk
Look at some examples. I like to look at some of John Lennons songs like Across the Universe and you can see a pattern he used.

Or you can go the Jack Black style, who cares what you're saying, make it sound cool!

Either way it helps to write something you are very passionate about so you put more feeling into it. It's not always about wording, sometimes you just have to get a message out any way you can that is honest and other people can relate to.

LOL!!!!!! "What about powers to kill a guy... from 100 yards away. Thas telekensis kyle"-lyrics from "wonder boy"