Ever since Bathory - blood fire death (one of the first albums ever to put Acoustic Guitars in black metal) bands have been using more and more acoustic guitars in metal.

There are now legions of up and coming bands with Opeth and Agalloch like use of acoustic guitars in their metal music. There have also been total acoustic albums by Black metal bands, (Drudkh, Borknagar)

Some bands, notably Empyrium, have been metal crossovers to total acoustic music.

What is this obession with acoustic guitars in metal music, a Genre that began to be the heaviest music of the time, and what are your views on it.

I personally think that metal is less of what actual musical instruments, and more of a lyrical and "emotion in the music" style of playing. So i think entire metal bands with acoustic instruments will come up soon.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
That would interesting to hear and Im not gonna shut the idea down, but do think it will be bands with Accoustic intervals or chords or both?
YES! SOMEONE LIKES BORKNAGAR!

Well, I say metal is actually very artistic, not in the way it is depicted by everyone else though.

Anyone that says that acoustic is shitty or something along those lines, they have no say in music. They can go listen to A7X and cut themselves in a corner.

Metal is still the most brutal stuff out there, it just needs a song or two to express emotion.
Quote by Metal Massacre

Anyone that says that acoustic is shitty or something along those lines, they have no say in music. They can go listen to A7X and cut themselves in a corner.

Metal is still the most brutal stuff out there, it just needs a song or two to express emotion.

ahem, half of City of Evil IS acoustic, there is a lot worse music out there

but acoustic in heavier styles is great
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
acoustic (especially with a reverb effect) is ****ing eerie, which can be very metal. opeth does a very good job with their soft songs in that sense.
Quote by Rything Shred
That would interesting to hear and Im not gonna shut the idea down, but do think it will be bands with Accoustic intervals or chords or both?

umm. Go listen to either opeth - Dileverence or Agalloch - Pale Folklore

please....

pretty please.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
I think the acoustic parts on Satyricon's Dark Mediveal Times fits well with the songs, acoustic interludes and intros are great to enchance the "aura" of the music.
I think the acoustic interludes in black metal are getting a little cliche.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Metal Massacre
lots of people do.

but anywho, i dont think this has anything to do with acoustic guitars making their way into metal. acoustic guitars are - as Dethklok have stated so many times - NOT METAL.
there's just a lot of bands who have felt the need to explore beyond the boundaries of metal. its fragments of other genres which have crept into metal, moreso than the instruments themselves. its getting harder and harder to be original nowadays, and its refreshing when bands explore new ideas to make their music more interesting.

Quote by duncang
I think the acoustic interludes in black metal are getting a little cliche.

good point. we need more sitar interludes!
Quote by Alucard II

good point. we need more sitar interludes!

Actually, yes.

Melechesh are win.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Yeah i realy love the acoustics in dark medieval times i also love the acoustic work on dissections somberlain and storm of the ligths bane.

Acoustic belongs in metal.
where's all the slide dobro acoustic blues in metal

anyways I love acoustics and clean guitar sounds, especially in metal
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Solstice - Blackthorne.
That is all I have to say on the matter.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Quote by Metal Massacre

Nice try, listen to Shattered By Broken Dreams.

Quote by fire within
ahem, half of City of Evil IS acoustic, there is a lot worse music out there

but acoustic in heavier styles is great

I like this guy.

Acoustic and metal = <3
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by Alucard II
why did i not forsee you knowing a band with sitar interludes?
/fail

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by Metal Massacre

Yeah such an underground band they are.

But yes, this is an interesting topic, as bands such as Agalloch, Opeth, and Woods of Ypres have influenced me massively in my writing. I've always thought that mixing quiet and heavy would be really cool, and those bands really do it well. Those bands are also really great examples to show people who think that metal is just a bunch of noise. I definitely think adding acoustic and quieter parts is on the rise.
Borknagar = teh pwn

The Genuine Pulse!
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Acoustic? Oh you means a grampa's guitars?

I've liked acoustic in heavier metal since listening to Opeth and Agalloch. They're the kind of bands I can listen to publicly without people looking at me strangely.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
Quote by tarem
umm. Go listen to either opeth - Dileverence or Agalloch - Pale Folklore

Lol. How bout just about anything by Opeth?

I honestly cant say there's a song without acoustics in it.

And oh yeah: the first to actually do this would be Mefisto. (sp?) Black metal with flamenco. \m/
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Well Voice of the Souls by Death has a rhythm acoustic guitar and it a pretty ****in' good song!! And Opeth uses alot of acoustic and it sounds pretty good also.. So I can't really complain abouty acoustic guitars being used in metal songs because I think its pretty cool!
Acoustic guitars are GAY.

Nah, I think it's a great idea. Though it isn't really a new concept, it does seem to be becoming more common now. I haven't heard all too much of it yet, but I like the idea.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
"playing acoustic instruments is totally lame and not metal, but if we don't put that troll back to sleep we may never check our e-mail with high speed DSL again! " - Nathan Explosion

lol, na acoustic is great agalloch, opeth , borknagar ,are all great examples, woods of ypres also has amazing acoustic passages.
Gear

PRSCustom 24

Jackson DXMG w/ sh-13 dimebucker & sh12 jazz

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head and matching 4x12 cab

Hendrix dunlop Wah

TS-7 tube screamer
Dissection, anyone? Feathers Fell, Crimson Towers, Chaosophia, Black Dragon, Where Dead Angels Lie have some amazing acoustic guitar work.
I love the idea of acoustic guitars in metal, black metal especially.
I love acoustics in metal.

Not only does Opeth master is, but Blind Guardian's acoustic tracks are amazing, Pelican's acousics are great, and many more bands I can't think of.

(I've got to get off the computer, so I'm in a hurry. )
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20