I can't believe you actually asked that question.

You should live in a hole or something.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
if u dont know that u seriously need some lessons
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
you more or less answered your own question. but its also the concepts brought on by scales with chords and stuff. go get a guitar teacher
God forbid you put away your egos for a few seconds to answer a simple question

To the thread starter: It's hard to put into words, so I'll just make it up off the top of my head. It's the general study of music as a science.

Wikipedia can be your best friend sometimes.
Nope.
I mean, when people say they need to study music theory, and they spend SO long doing it, what are they spending so freaking much time on?
the guy asked a question

yeh its basically just the non-practical side of music like notation,scales,and different techniques used by a composer.
+ =
Turning music into math eh? That's why I can't really get the time signature stuff, I can't get the idea of confining rhythm into a 2 numbered fraction.

Oh, and math is SUCH a bitch. I hates it. I never have any use for it, I mean the math itself, not the problem solving.
if you find the music fairy, ask them they will tell you, but you have to BELIEVE! believe in the music fairy only then will you know the true side of music theory
Quote by Symphonic Waves
Turning music into math eh? That's why I can't really get the time signature stuff, I can't get the idea of confining rhythm into a 2 numbered fraction.

Oh, and math is SUCH a bitch. I hates it. I never have any use for it, I mean the math itself, not the problem solving.

lol can you play master of puppets? the time signature is so ****ed up its pissin me off
Yeah, I've always wondered how time sigs work too, but never really bothered to look it up. PM me if you can find a page that translates it into layman's terms.
Nope.
Quote by yam
lol can you play master of puppets? the time signature is so ****ed up its pissin me off

I've looked at so many resources on time signature. It just doesn't seem to really have any impact on how the music is played though. It SEEMS that an 8th note is an 8th note, and it's always played for the same duration, despite the time signature.

That's what I'm getting though.
I've looked at so many resources on time signature. It just doesn't seem to really have any impact on how the music is played though. It SEEMS that an 8th note is an 8th note, and it's always played for the same duration, despite the time signature.

It has EVERYTHING to do with how something is played, you're confusing time signatures with tempo. The tempo is the speed of the piece in beats per minute (bpm), a whole note is 4 beats, a 1/4 note is 1 beat, an 8th note is 1/2 a beat. The higher the tempo, the shorter those notes will be.

The time signature is how the song should be played, and tells you how many beats per bar, and also what will constitute a "beat". The most common, simple time signature is 4/4 which is the standard

1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and

pattern of beats. A time signature of 3/4 is a waltz rhythm - We Are The Champions by Queen is in 3/4 - the best way to get your head round it is to sing the beat pattern along to the song.

1-and-2-and-3-and 1-and-2-and-3-and 1-and-2-and-3-and

Modern rock and metal often use odd time signatures to give the music an angular, disjointed feel...Them Bones by Alice in Chains is in 7/8

1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and-5-and-6-and-7-and 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and-5-and-6-and-7-and

Master of Puppets uses both 4/4 and 7/8, whilst prog bands like Dream Theater are all over the show!

its turning music into maths.

No, music IS maths - theory just puts everything in context.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That's the thing. It's very hard, if not impossible, to explain the process of confining rhythm into a fraction through words.

That's why I'm just skipping it for now. Trust me, I wanna learn it, but it's so damn confusing for whatever reason. Like what is "the beat". Do you do something on the beat?

I need to be able to hear these time signatures, and so far all I've got is stuff that's written.
Like what exactly does the time signature explain to the reader.

It's how many beats on top, and what get's the beat at the bottom....okay, but what is the beat? And if a song didn't have a time signature, couldn't I still play the song? Like I can't see where the time signature comes in when you're actually playing. It seems like you could throw it out and everything would still flow smoothely.

I've still got my lines and spaces, my notes and pauses with varying durations, what is the purpose of that damn time signature? Do I really need something to tell me how many notes on on there? I can count.
Listen to a simple punk song like Blitzkrieg bop, you should be able count the rhythm easily. The drums are the key in guitar music, rock rhythms will often have the bass drum on the "on" beat (the numbered ones) and the snare drum will accent the "off" beat (the "ands"). If you count along to the drums (quite quickly in the case of Blitzkrieg Bop!) you should be able to see it.

1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and

Without the time signature the drummer doesn't know what beat to play, and if the drummer doesn't neither will anyone else. I guess it's fine if you just play at home, but if you ever want to play with other people you should really know the basics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 5, 2007,
Alright, I'll listen to it. I need a teacher to really explain it to me cause the time signatures can vary SO much, and none of it make sense. It's doesn't seem at all definate, especially when it comes to that compound time signature stuff, and ugh.

Rhythm cannot be effectively smashed into 2 numbers.
Alright, I'll listen to it. I need a teacher to really explain it to me cause the time signatures can vary SO much, and none of it make sense. It's doesn't seem at all definate, especially when it comes to that compound time signature stuff, and ugh.

Rhythm cannot be effectively smashed into 2 numbers.

Yes it can, that's just it....honestly, people have been doing it for hundreds of years. There's no grey areas or room for interpretation with time signatures, it's an exact science. Essentially the top number tells you how many beats there are in a bar/measure and the bottom number tells you what constitutes a beat by telling you what note units the bar is measured in. That's why something like 7/8 sounds so "wrong"....you're measuring the beat in 8ths , but the bars only last for 7 so it feels like your "losing" a beat every bar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Music theory covers a lot of things. Time signatures can get confusing. It is true that you can learn a song without knowing anything about time signature, but imagine trying to learn a song without ever hearing it. Music will give a time signature along with a tempo with these you should be able to play a song with correct rhythm and at the correct speed. But there is much more to music theory than just that. Scales have a lot to do with theory. Basically if you play certain notes together it will give you a certain sound, and these series of notes are a scale. Almost all songs written follow a scale whether they were intended to or not. You probably don't realize when you play that you are following theory. Also when you play multiple notes from the same scale at the same time you are playing a chord. Thats where chords come from and is the basis of how they are named. There is too much to talk about, and that is why people take so much time studying it. You don't need to know it to play guitar, but it does help. If you are writing a song and get stuck, knowing theory can help you get out of the rut. It helps you knowing what scale would sound good being played over a song. You can improvise with others and sound good without even knowing how to play what they are playing.
Quote by Symphonic Waves

That's what I'm getting though.

Time signatures are written the way that they are to dictate how many notes you play for a measure. For instance:

If I were to play 8 notes, and they were all eighths, but I didn't want any more notes than that, then I'd put it in a 4/4 time signature. That signature makes the most sense, because then you have the desired number of beats to play the notes over. A 3/4 signature would not work because I would be restricted to only 6 notes, therefore not completing the riff. A 2/4 time signature would work because I'd be able to achieve the desired number of beats, but I would have to write out one more bar than needed.

See? Does that make sense? I'm not a great teacher with this sort of thing, so if it doesn't make sense then I'm sorry...
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
lol, not really, but thanks for trying. I'm looking at it the wrong way, I know it, but my mind is fixed on whatever incorrect manner of thinking.
Just remember, the time signature doesn't dictate the song...the song dictates the time signature. It's just a way of presenting that particular bit of info about a piece of music...a musician well versed in theory can take a sheet of music, and with the information they get from the time signature, tempo, notes and any other info such as descriptive terms they'll know exactly how to play it even if they've never heard it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'll never get time signatures. I've got excellent rhythm and timing for all things. However at this point, the idea of taking all the complex rhythms I've heard and the thought of trying to take every one and cram them into 2 numbers, my mind can't wrap around it at this point.

I'd like to make a rhythm and have someone try to put it down into notation.