Alright so I've pretty much decided on a Laney VC15. I've got a fender 60th anni. standard (mexi) strat, and a line6 spider2 112 amp, so hopefully I should be getting alot better tone with the Laney. I play clean, blues and rock mostly. I know this amp won't do metal, but I can buy a distortion pedal (EH Metal Muff probably, with the top boost) if I want to play metal alot.

I live in a flat, so most of the time (I can go into the loft and turn it up more, but I don't want to do that too often) I'll only really be playing it at bedroom volume. So I just want to make sure I can get enough distortion out of the Laney at bedroom levels. So could someone please give me the range of distortion I can get at that level please? Like, would I get enough to play Hendrix? AC/DC? rush/queen? Maiden?

Also, I'm slightly confused. Because on the laney website it say it's 2 channel: clean and drive, but on GAK.co.uk it says it has one. Could someone please clear this up for me and also, if there's two channels, how are they switched between?

I might have a question or two more to ask but for now, that's about it.

Thanks very much to anyone who replies to this .
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Have you played it yet?

I played a VC30 a while back, great sounding.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well Rush and Queen's guitarists, Alex Lifeson and Brian May, have completely different tones so I am confused to why you lump them together with a slash (rush/queen).

Well both sites that I checked claim it has one channel. It would probably be good to use some distortion and OD pedals then, because most amps won't break up until about half volume or so.

There is a footswitch available but it is probably for switching FX Loop/Reverb etc.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

it is in fact a 2 channel amp but the channels share an eq the foot switch changes channels
Quote by RPotts
Well Rush and Queen's guitarists, Alex Lifeson and Brian May, have completely different tones so I am confused to why you lump them together with a slash (rush/queen).

Well both sites that I checked claim it has one channel. It would probably be good to use some distortion and OD pedals then, because most amps won't break up until about half volume or so.

There is a footswitch available but it is probably for switching FX Loop/Reverb etc.

Heh sorry, I associate Queen with Rush for some reason, and when I play a queen or rush song I use the same settings.

It seems abit weird though, as the 2 sites you've checked, plus GAK.co.uk all say it's 1 channel, yet the Laney site - which should be the most reliable - say it's 2 channel.

If my knowledge of tube amps is correct, the pre-amp can distort at any volume, but the power-amp needs volume to distort. So I should still get distortion, though it won't be that sweet power-amp tube distortion, still I'd like to know how distorted it'll get at bedroom levels?

To R_H_C_P, I've played it, but I only played it clean, loved it though.

To mrperson, do you know if the footswitch comes with the amp?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Mar 5, 2007,
^Oh your God, only clean? The clean didn't impress me too much, but when I used the OD channel, wow. Such a sweet and toneful sound.
Don't be afraid to care"

You can get an attenuator if you really want that cranked tone at bedroom level.

I've only had the luxury of playing a VC15 once (they need to have more on this side of the pond ) and I thought it was an excellent sounding amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
One of my friends has one. It can get very heavy; Maiden, and beyond.
There is a second (drive) channel which will give you all the distortion you need at bedroom level; but getting proper (heavy) overdrive out of the clean channel can't really be done at bedroom levels. Depending on how well insulated the flat is, you might be able to get a medium overdrive without annoying the neighbours, though. The tone is still good at low volumes, so don't worry about that.

It is a great amp; I recommend it.

EDIT:
You don't get a footswitch with it.
R_H_C_P, you only say that because you've got a blues jnr.

Anyway, could either of you give me the range of distortion you got from it when you played it? And also how loud it was when you played it?

Edit: The attenuator is a nice idea, but I don't have the cash.

And to mr hankey, how do you change channels with it?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
There's a button you press to change the channel.

And I just got light classic rock distortion from it, but I wasn't using much gain and with my Strat.
Don't be afraid to care"

^that's cool, cheers. I think that's about it for questions and I've had lots of help, thanks everyone. You've given me that push and I'm pretty much deadset on it now. I'll play it again before buying, but I think it's gonna be great .
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
^Right on, enjoy it!

What guitar are you gonna' be using with it?
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender 60th anni. standard (mexi) strat. I said in my first post .

Yeah I'm really looking forwards to it.

edit: & I've got a Vox V847.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Mar 5, 2007,
righty i might get one and use it as a head for a 2x12 for metal. Use the drive channel on full with my DS-1 or clean channel with my danelectro
^why would you buy a vintage style amp, designed for no more than hard rock, for metal?

You might have a spectacularly good reason, I'm just wondering .
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
DS-1 with the VC-15? Stupid decision. You'd ruin the amps sound.
Anyway I've got the VC-30 and love it. Enough overdrive for classic rock and can do hard rock and beyond with an OD pedal (may I recommened the Ibanez tubescreamer TS-808)
Tried it and the blues junior and prefered it. The OD was better (and more british) and the clean chanel is really sweet sounding. I don't use the bright switch, just leave it off ( the one which gives me more OD)