OkY So I've been playing guitar for a good solid 3 years. I'm pretty good.

I have a Fender Squire strat, and I'm looking to buy a new guitar.

My amp is a Vox AD50VT

Im thinking a telecaster or Gibson les paull special II. See I like the tone of both. I like the solo tones on the tele/strat.

SO which should I get?

I want to be able to play some heavy stuff ( DT) but still play some less intense music (Supertramp, 5440, Dire straits)
How heavy do you want to play?

What's your price range?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Heavy like....the song Strange Deja Vu by Dream Theatre.

Ill spend tops 400 bucks.

( limite budgets suck)(
les paul les paul les paul
i've got a custom and i love it, u so have to have one
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
les paul all the way fenders cant do rock as well , in the words of angus young "i tried fender but they didnt have the balls"
If you want to have any chance to play heavy rock/metal or similar genres, a Tele won't cut it. Teles range is limited (usually) to Country/Bluegrass and Blues. It won't distort an amp like a les paul will. But, you don't have to get a Les Paul to play rock, lot's of various Schecters, ESPs, Gibsons and Ibanezs can do it.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

i have a strat and can great metal tones from it through my line 6 pod xt live. i have a schecter i can get a great metal tone also but no cleans. the strat gives awesome cleans. if you're going to want some good cleans go with the fender, you can get a strong metal tone with any guitar, just need the pedal.
definitly go with the les paul. good for metal, good for cleans, all around good guitar.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
I think you can get better bang for your buck with a strat/tele in the $400 range. True, most strats/teles are SSS and dont really have the balls for dream theatre, but how bout this? should have the balls, and i think theyre great, the midnight wine color isnt my thing but alders not a bad looking wood if you ever decide to shave it down.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=516040
les paul.. get a proper one though..
My Stuff
The good
Ibanez RG550
Laney GH50L (Head)
Laney 4x12 TT (Cab)
Jim Dunlop Wah-Wah
Boss ME-8 Multi Effects
Marshall Blues Breaker
The Okay
H/H 100 Watt Combo 1975
Ibanez GRX 420
The Ugly
Marshall 15 Watt MG
Strat Copy
check em both out, try and see if they feel right for you and see if u can find a tele that can pull off the heavier tones, i no a fender tele custom can cos its got a beefy tone
you've been playing a strat, definitly buy a tele. fender's do have balls
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Alrighty, I'm going to rattle off a bunch of guitars that I think would be a good choice for you. I agree that humbuckers should be your pickup of choice. Please don't be afraid of not getting a Fender or Gibson/Epiphone. There are a lot of other brands that are at least as good as those 2, especially in your price range.

Now that that's been said...

Schecter PT-Standard - If you really dig the tele shape, you can get it here with humbuckers .

Any of these Michael Kelly guitars. Very good craftsmanship, playability, and tone from these.

Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet - Outstanding guitar for the price. Has amazing tone and playability.

If you positively *must* have a Gibson/Epiphone, get a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top. It more closely mirrors the "real" Les Paul tone of Gibsons because the body is all mahogany (other than the maple top of course) as opposed to the other Epiphones that are combinations of mahogany and alder.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Angus did say that in a guitar world interview back in 2001 I think, when Stiff Upper Lip came out
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Think about which neck suits you better. There are numerous Telecaster models availble; single coils set up, single coil / humbucker, double humbucker setup. If you like the feel of the tele then get it and request one with humbuckers in it if like the sound of Les Pauls. Sounds crazy but what the hell. Go to the fender site and see the various tele's that are made.
Last edited by TwistedLogic at Mar 5, 2007,
Quote by dean_from_hell
les paul! teles are horrible!

Hey.

Think about reading the Rules and FAQ Thread stickied at the top of these forums.

In there is a section on "How to give good advice."

You need to read it .
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Hey.

Think about reading the Rules and FAQ Thread stickied at the top of these forums.

In there is a section on "How to give good advice."

You need to read it .

it is good advise, dont get tele
Quote by dean_from_hell
it is good advise

Quote by Rules and FAQ Thread

6: Give reasons: Don't say "such-and-such a product ROCKS!". Say "i like it because of its bright, shimmering clean channel" or something like that. That's much more helpful, especially if the threadstarter hasn't tried the product in question before.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by sowhat360
mikey from sepultura uses mexican strats by the way

He uses Fat Strats.

You're comparing guitars with quite opposite tones. The LP is mahogany, which'll give you a warmer, somewhat muddier tone. The Tele is simply the queen of treble and twangyness, it's alder with a lipstick p'up in the neck and that big metal bridge. It's pretty bright and clear, and it doesn't handle lots of distortion too well - it can deal with some, just not too much.

Plus, Special II's aren't the greatest quality guitars out there... They're quite low end, so I'd suggest that you play it before you buy it.

Out of personal preference, I'd go with the Tele.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Last edited by jmag at Mar 5, 2007,
I personaly have both, but i would recomend the les paul, The telecaster has frets that are spaced ferther apart than the les paul and the les paul's strings are closer together, Id take the paul for more speed playing such as punk, rock, indie, or metal music and the telecaster for more of the blues and such.
Gibson don't do a Special II, do they? I'd have thought this was an Epiphone. And they're rock-bottom end. Not nice at all. I'd get the Tele but i'm a Teleholic.

^
The Les Paul has a fatter neck with a gloss finish, and the strings are further apart, in theory it would play slower than a Tele...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Schecter PT ftw .
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
tele
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Quote by ixion
les paul.. get a proper one though..

what do you mean by the proper one.
get a custom made telecaster with two humbuckers of semour duncans. it gives you a nice rock/metal sound.
Quote by RPotts
If you want to have any chance to play heavy rock/metal or similar genres, a Tele won't cut it. Teles range is limited (usually) to Country/Bluegrass and Blues. It won't distort an amp like a les paul will. But, you don't have to get a Les Paul to play rock, lot's of various Schecters, ESPs, Gibsons and Ibanezs can do it.

...You're a retard. Does Jimmy Page's playing sound like country and bluegrass? You probably never even played a tele.

I find that the Fender Standard series is better than the Standard Les Pauls in workmanship and value. It's a better bang for your buck.

Whoever says Teles can't do rock, they've never really played one.
Get a fat strat. Humbucker for dirty, singles for clean... Perfect combination.
My gear:
-Fender Jaguar HH
-Fender Fat Strat
-Guild GAD-G212
-Washburn D33S
-Vox AC30CC1 tube amp
-Vox 847 wah
-EH Big Muff
-EH Double Muff
-EH POG
-EH Small Clone
I like the feel of Teles better so I would go with the tele, but if you really want a good metal sound you'll need the right pickups on it, usually the stock ones on teles arent too good for metal.
Dont buy a les paul special
your paying for the gibson name on a crap guitar, nothing else
save up for a real les paul or go and get a fender in that price range or an ephiphone standard(they are muich better than the gibson specials)
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Try them both out many many many many times and decide which one you personally like - the tone, neck shape, body weight, etc are drastically different.

I personally love the deep warm tone of Les Pauls, but Teles are also amazing guitars: they have a very bright sound that you'd be hard-pressed to emulate. For your price-range I'd say go for a Tele, as the cheaper Epis and Gibsons tend to...stray far from their pricier brethren. And put a Hot Rails in the bridge. :P.
Teles are my favorite fender but id still have to stick with the LP here...LPs have great tone
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
IMO the Les Paul, harder sound and awsome looking, Teles, however, are ugly and IMO whimpy.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Quote by fenderman0100
les paul all the way fenders cant do rock as well , in the words of angus young "i tried fender but they didnt have the balls"

Quote by RPotts

You two are out of your mind. I highly doubt you have even heard a tele. I doubt even more that you've played one enough to come to this decision. It all depends on what pickups you put in, but even stock teles can get some good distortion. Mexican Fenders are a lot more "qualitier" than lower end Epiphones and Gibsons, you'll get more bang for your buck. Epiphones and Gibsons are good, but their cleans cannot compare to Mark Knopfler's, and you build sound off of cleans, using pedals and eventually different amps to get the heavier stuff.

Cleans --> Distortion (Cleans can do good distortion)
Distortion --x Cleans (good distortion cannot do cleans)

Quote by sgtsniff
IMO the Les Paul, harder sound and awsome looking, Teles, however, are ugly and IMO whimpy.

Come on man. At least the other guys I quoted thought they were right. If I didn't know what a Les Paul or Tele was, I'd think you were talking about two dudes' penis(es?). Just quit giving advice.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by wmzbomgzors
You two are out of your mind. I highly doubt you have even heard a tele. I doubt even more that you've played one enough to come to this decision. It all depends on what pickups you put in, but even stock teles can get some good distortion. Mexican Fenders are a lot more "qualitier" than lower end Epiphones and Gibsons, you'll get more bang for your buck. Epiphones and Gibsons are good, but their cleans cannot compare to Mark Knopfler's, and you build sound off of cleans, using pedals and eventually different amps to get the heavier stuff.

Cleans --> Distortion (Cleans can do good distortion)
Distortion --x Cleans (good distortion cannot do cleans)

Come on man. At least the other guys I quoted thought they were right. If I didn't know what a Les Paul or Tele was, I'd think you were talking about two dudes' penis(es?). Just quit giving advice.

LOL, Dont you think the threadstarter knows what a Les Paul and Tele is?
I was just saying that i think that Les Pauls have a more rocky and hard sound than the Teles.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Quote by bi-ah!
get a custom made telecaster with two humbuckers of semour duncans. it gives you a nice rock/metal sound.

Ooh yeah. One of my best rock and roll moments was last week at the Deftones seeing that beautful HH telecaster in the hands of Stephen Carpenter. Teles do hard shit just fine.

I exited that mosh over the top, crowdsurfing shirtless to Change in the House of Flies, came out over the barrier right in front of Chino giving him the devil horn salute. Felt my nose the next day and it clicked - I actually broke my nose in that mosh and didn't care at the time.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard