Can someone give me an idea as to how it sounds? No one near me stocks it, and so I'm kinda flying blind if I buy it, but I've been looking for a nice amp. And narrowed it down to this, or the crate V30 amp head.
It has a great 80's thrash tone from what I've heard. Very similar to the famous JCM800.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
its meant to be like a modded Jcm800, you wouldnt think it by looking at it tbh! lol.
Its quiet cheap for what your getting like!
Sounds like the amp for me then :P
I've been looking at getting a jcm for quite some time, but I wasn't getting any closer to the price even used. And at $300 used, I could finally afford this!
Plus even if it sounds close to a marshall that would be awsome.
I've found out it has a SS recifier, why do SS rectifiers need standby? Isn't that a feature only tube rectifiers need?
Also on cabs for this thing?
What happens when you put 120w into a 100w speaker? I'd imagine you'd blow it, but just wanna make sure.
Cause they say 400w handling, but someone explained that 120w describes what each speaker will get. So, I'd have to find an amp that has 120w speakers, and handles 480w???
Cheapest one I can find is the MG cab, which is almost as expensive as the head. But I guess when I get the head so cheap, that's to be expected.
I know MG heads are bad, because they are SS, but the cabs have to be alright... right?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG412-Cabinet?sku=482951
The Peavey Windsor is an AWESOME head.
Anyway.
I'd rather get the 200 dollar Behringer cab on www.music123.com than get a Marshall MG cab.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

remember though.. one channel and NO cleans
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The peavey blows the ****ing doors off of the crate. And yes, it does sound very similar to the JCM 800, just voiced slightly different (a la Peavey). I've heard some people even say that they prefer it to a JCM.
Quote by Doodleface
remember though.. one channel and NO cleans

It's rare I completely use cleans, if I use anything close to a clean it is always just a hint of distortion, and forget reverb.
I have a one channel amp, and have yet to be at a disability.

And what do you guys mean voiced like a peavey? Like more mids, more trebely?
You do not need each speaker to be able to handle the full 120 watts. It will be distributed among each speaker. Also, it is all tube, most tube amps are SS rectifier.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Are you guys saying the windsor can't go clean?!?!?!
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Are you guys saying the windsor can't go clean?!?!?!

It can, but it breaks so quickly that it can't go clean very well. Especially at giging volume.
The Windsor was made for crunch, overdrive, distortion, etc. Peavey wasn't really aiming for an amp that had both cleans and overdrive.

That being said, in the low gain input, and with the guitar volume almost all the way down, I could manage to clean it up enough to please myself, but than again, I play in cleans settings about 20% of the time, so it didn't bother me much.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs