Basically I'm nearly 16 and have been thinking of making some extra money as a guitar teacher. Is this a good idea? What do you need to be able to be a guitar teacher? What makes a good guitar teacher?
generally above grade 8, and a degree will always go down well
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Quote by dudeman_andy
generally above grade 8, and a degree will always go down well

Baha a degree in what?
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Skillz that Killz and the ability to explain things well. And patience. Not all 8-year olds manage a C chord their first time 'round.

You can always be a professional teacher without a degree. A lot of people are. Just make sure you're not stoned during the lesson, as a surpsingly large portion of teenage guitar teachers are. Either that or they dress like stoners and promote communism.
You have to be able to play a variety of music.

Peoples taste differs and you have to be able to cater for their music tastes. (althouhgh it is good to teach them everything, to have a broad musical mind)

I think YOU HAVE TO KNOW THEORY. It is a big plus.

Having a grade (1,2,3 etc) is not important but it does look good (Thats if you wanna be a everyday teacher, not a professional teacher)

thats about it for me.
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Just be a competant player and patient. I know someone who teaches on the side and I think he's a grade 5. He passed with honours on all of them mind, but yeah, that's fine as he's not got any advanced students.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by sashki
Skillz that Killz and the ability to explain things well. And patience. Not all 8-year olds manage a C chord their first time 'round.

You can always be a professional teacher without a degree. A lot of people are. Just make sure you're not stoned during the lesson, as a surpsingly large portion of teenage guitar teachers are. Either that or they dress like stoners and promote communism.

Is that an issue?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
Is that an issue?

No offense intended (Hey, I was born in the USSR), but it scares the kiddies. Stoned people scare me, too. We got a lot of those at my school. They hand out their own revolutionary newsletters, smell of weed and ask "why do you think I have access to a gun?".
Quote by sashki
Stoned people scare me, too.

You don't need to be afraid of people who are stoned, most of them are very mellow. If you run across one who seems a little crazy, just give him a snickers bar and all will be well.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
umm ok. ^

how long have u been playing? what type of music? do u know theory?

you can be at an intermediate level and teach. but u're probably doing a disservice to ur student.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
my instructor he has all these degrees in child physcology. idk if tht helps. but since ur 16 ur not gonna need tht now. im 14 and have my own littel buisness so i guess u should hand out flyers and wait for people to hire you.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Well I'm not that amazing, I mean I'm quite good for my age (I can play most Metallica with ease, really into the Strokes atm and I find that I'm easily able to play their solos and riffs too). So I was thinking that if I teach, it'll have to be to beginners. Is there any point in doing this and how/where should I advertise my services?
Quote by shav0r
Well I'm not that amazing, I mean I'm quite good for my age (I can play most Metallica with ease, really into the Strokes atm and I find that I'm easily able to play their solos and riffs too). So I was thinking that if I teach, it'll have to be to beginners. Is there any point in doing this and how/where should I advertise my services?

wel wat i didd for my business is make flyers and put them in peoples mail boxes and waited for hits. by hits i mean jobs.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
you should definitely know theory. Don't bother teaching lessons if you don't. It doesn't sound like you're ready to be teaching lessons, it sounds like many of the people coming in for lessons will be at the same level as you, or be better. When I first went in for lessons I would guess I was better than what you are describing in that last post.
Quote by shav0r

Well, no offense to you, but if I was to ever go in for lessons, I would certainly want an expert teacher. Not a 16 year old who has been playing a while and is "good for his age". Like a previous poster said, you would be doing a disservice to your student(s). But if you are determined to do this, you might want to try 'recreational" teaching for starters. Maybe teach a few free lessons at your local community center or something like that.
you have to know theory. thats the major thing. you also need to be patient because alot of students will have trouble learning things more than the basics(and those can be hard for absolute beginners). you also need to be sure the student understands what your teaching. ive had multiple teachers and theyve all gone over stuff with me until ive understood it.

you should also play songs in all genres(or at least be open to playing them) so that your lessons will appeal to everyone. speed isnt a major requirement but it can help. since youve said that you can play metallica i suppose that you can play fast enough. id have a song or two ready that have fast solos in case your student wants to see how good you are. also, you need to be decent at using various techniques(harmonics, maybe a little tapping, hammer-ons,pull-offs, etc.)

you basically just need to be a well rounded player. thedude051 makes a good point too. try teaching a few free lessons for people to make sure that your ready for teaching lessons. people will like it alot less if theyve payed money for lessons that werent any good than if they got them for free. as for advertising lessons, try handing out flyers, putting up signs in your local guitar stores/music shops/any place music related, or putting them up at your school and others.
Start out advertising to people you know and tell them you'll give them a good deal on lessons since you're still a student. And if you start teaching, my advice is be prepared!! Have stuff in mind that you're going to do before the lesson so you don't just have dead lesson time...there's nothing worse!
Quote by thedude051
Well, no offense to you, but if I was to ever go in for lessons, I would certainly want an expert teacher. Not a 16 year old who has been playing a while and is "good for his age". Like a previous poster said, you would be doing a disservice to your student(s). But if you are determined to do this, you might want to try 'recreational" teaching for starters. Maybe teach a few free lessons at your local community center or something like that.

Yeah, I second the free thing. I've given a few mates free lessons just to get them started and such or if they're stuck, try and help them out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by sumguy67
you have to know theory. thats the major thing. you also need to be patient because alot of students will have trouble learning things more than the basics(and those can be hard for absolute beginners). you also need to be sure the student understands what your teaching. ive had multiple teachers and theyve all gone over stuff with me until ive understood it.

you should also play songs in all genres(or at least be open to playing them) so that your lessons will appeal to everyone. speed isnt a major requirement but it can help. since youve said that you can play metallica i suppose that you can play fast enough. id have a song or two ready that have fast solos in case your student wants to see how good you are. also, you need to be decent at using various techniques(harmonics, maybe a little tapping, hammer-ons,pull-offs, etc.)

you basically just need to be a well rounded player. thedude051 makes a good point too. try teaching a few free lessons for people to make sure that your ready for teaching lessons. people will like it alot less if theyve payed money for lessons that werent any good than if they got them for free. as for advertising lessons, try handing out flyers, putting up signs in your local guitar stores/music shops/any place music related, or putting them up at your school and others.

Well in the past I've played most styles of music, including a little bit of jazz but sort of focusing on rock (anything from britpop and indie to metal and hard rock)

My theory is ok, but could do with some polishing before I teach people. Anyone know any sites with good theory lessons?
this site has some good lessons and musictheory.net is good. especially for polishing up. it has lessons that test your chord, scale, individual note, and mode theory which is why i like it.
Quote by shav0r
Well in the past I've played most styles of music, including a little bit of jazz but sort of focusing on rock (anything from britpop and indie to metal and hard rock)

My theory is ok, but could do with some polishing before I teach people. Anyone know any sites with good theory lessons?

Well....for now I think you should only teach introductory courses for complete beginners. You really can't go wrong with those. You know, maybe charge...ohhh, lets say $10 for an hour. Way under priced, but people will like that and you are a new teacher. With introductory lessons, you don't even need to teach them theory or techniques(unless you want). Just try teaching simple chords, strumming patterns, how to hold the guitar, pick, etc. Teaching that will easily take an hour. Say maybe do three-five of those introductory lessons for each of your students. Then say thats all you are capable of teaching and tell them to move on to a more advanced teacher. This way, you are not overstressed, and they are learning what they are supposed to and you are not doing them a disservice. Then they can just move on to a better teacher once they've learned the basics. Just my .02
Students.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG550M Dimarzio TZ + Paf Pro
Ibanez RG550R Dimarzio TZ in Bridge
Ibanez TS9>Vox AD50VT.

Quote by JackalUK
If you fap at 2 million faps per second you can go back in time
Dude, if you don't know what you need to be a guitar teacher, you are not even close to teaching. Get a clue.