Question.

I have a Peavey XXX, and I've been messing around with the EQ and what not, and anytime I turn the mids past 1 it just sounds like crap. It sounds like it's being played through a phone, or something to that effect. I know a lot of artists use higher mid frequencies, so I'm wondering if my amp is just made for scooping out the mids or if I need to turn down the bass or treble at all. Thanks.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
that amp, and the tubes it comes with (probably 6L6's) are generally more scooped sounding. you can test out a tubescreamer
Yeah it comes with 6L6GC's. That might explain it. The sound I get with the mids at 0 is pretty nice, I just think it's strange that when I turn them up at all the sound goes to hell.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Haha, I've always preferred less mids. But I guess now I'm limited exclusively to no mids.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Haha, I've always preferred less mids. But I guess now I'm limited exclusively to no mids.

hahaha

Just try some different tubes
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I noticed this with my XXX also. Would new tubes change it? I was thinking of going from the stock 6L6 to JJ EL34s.

I really like that Marshally, high mids, crunch, but I cant really get it nicely with this amp.
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Quote by AC/zeppelin/DC
I noticed this with my XXX also. Would new tubes change it? I was thinking of going from the stock 6L6 to JJ EL34s.

I really like that Marshally, high mids, crunch, but I cant really get it nicely with this amp.

yeah EL34's but unless I am mistaken (please rectify me if i am someone, i dont want to give out wrong info when regarding a large, expensive and desireable peice of kit) Peavey are bastards and make the XXX, JSX and 6505 incompatible with EL34's or something like that
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Nope they are compatible. There is a switch right by the power tubes where I can select 6L6 or EL34 and the manual and every website says they are interchangable with my amp.

Does it need to be biased?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
I thought some amps were self biasing? There is a switch in my amp labelled "Bias Select Switch" and it can either be selected to 6L6 or EL34s.

How much does it usually cost to get a tech to bias it?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
^Correct, some can self-bias. I think a good price for a tube swap is no more than 40$.
Is the Peavey JSX a self-biasing amp?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way