Hey Everyone I started playing my bass guitar again. I was listeninf to some Mudvayne and was like "WHAO SHIT THATS COOl" and now Im playing the Bass again.

I do have a question though, what do you guys do to prevent getting blisters on your umm...picking hand(the right one?) Would gloves mess up the sound.
You have to develop calluses, and it'll be fine.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
gloves would mute the sound and how much depends on what they are made of....

i think

but it may give you a unique sound that you may like :P

gradually build up caluses (spelling?)
Just suck it up and be a man. Bass callouses are your 10 (or less I guess, depending on your style) badges of triumph, of honour.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by Gakusey
Play with a pick...

Only the n00bs do that.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Use a glove?

That's a new one.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Quote by Woogles
Only the n00bs do that.

noobs dont use picks. a lot of people use em cause they have a different agressive sound. like maxwell murder by rancid. if he played that with his fingers it wouldnt sound as cool.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Smell the glove?

You'll be glad you toughed it out now though. Callouses are the way to go.

Nice spinal tap reference!

Part of the honor of being a bassist is building those rock hard callouses, and there is no easy way except time and practice.
I find that Ive been playing my flatwounds for a while and i really don't get blisters/ callouses, my fingers just gradually get harder, minus the skin chafing goodness of roundwounds.

(yes, i play finger style)

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by fenderbassist12
noobs dont use picks. a lot of people use em cause they have a different agressive sound. like maxwell murder by rancid. if he played that with his fingers it wouldnt sound as cool.

As much as i would like to agree about that, mainly because i played with a pick for ages, you can get as agressive a tone as you could ever need with some careful EQing, check out Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face for a good example.

OT: Suck it up and play with your fingers, calusses rock, lol. But seriously, you can get so much more tonal variety with your fingers it's not even funny.
Yeah, every bassist has to go through it. I guess if it's getting too hard for you then put band aids on the tips of your fingers. That won't help you in the long run though.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
It's just part of learning, and it's worth building up your callouses now and not finding a way around it because you will thank yourself later
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
What I did when I first started playing (and whenever I lose my calluces through megligence) is play for a very long period of time with a very heavy attack. Even when you start to get blisters and when it hurts, keep going (but try and have fun, play songs you like/learn stuff etc.). Once you get very big blisters, pop 'em and drain them in a sterile fashion, dip your blistered fingers in rubbing alcohol and the next day, voila! You'll have perfect calluces in no time.

Or you could very slowly...ly build them up over several months. Either way works. I prefer the blister method myself, I've tried both, the first when Is tarted playing bass (fingerstyle only at that point) and then a few months ago after a long period of intensive pick style. Either way, tough it out, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Is it only me who never had a problem with this despite rigourous playing?
^ I never had a huge problem with it. On the first day I played my bass for a few hours and my fingers absolutely killed me. I just did the same thing for about three days unknowingly and I never had another problem with blisters again.
Does anyone know if calluses would affect fingerpicking style on an acoustic guitar?
"But lo, a stir is in the air! The Wave -- There is a movement there!"
Well i bought an acoutic guitar today because ive always wanted to play and it didnt really make it awkward or anything when i played it..
Ive only just started though so it might start effecting the more complex finger picking stuff.
Im not that good yet so i dont know :P
Quote by kevhead
Does anyone know if calluses would affect fingerpicking style on an acoustic guitar?

Nope. I switch between acoustic and bass on a weekly basis. I find the general distance between the strings more of an adjustment for the first few minutes of playing an acoustic.
Quote by kevhead

Depends, if you ask a fingerpicking guitarist they'll probably tell you the best way to get good tone out of an acoustic that way is by having long, pick-like nails, but either way it shouldn't have much effect.
Gloves. Pssht.

I remember I burst a blister while playing a show - the song was a really fast one, and I dropped my pick. Had to play w/ fingers (back then I was pretty slow with fingers) and it burst. Gross, I know, but now I have sweet callouses.
If you want to speed up the finger hardening process, use stainless steel strings, specifically Rotosounds. They'll build up the callouses in no time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..