Ok, so I've been playing guitar for a couple of months,and I'm feeling like buying a new guitar. At the moment I'm playing just another crappy beginner Strat through my Spider III 75 watts (wich owns). Alright, that's nice, but I'm addicted to metal, and everywhere I hear people say get a guitar with humbuckers, so I thought, lets buy a good guitar with humbuckers (whatever they are) and my eyes immediately fell on the ESP LTD AX. But my mom won't let me buy it, so i thought, heh, what about pimping my nubStrat with a cool pickguard i saw somewhere and humbuckers and make it my own metal guitar?

So my questions are,

What are humbuckers exactly, and whats the difference between them and the singlecoils on my Strat?
Would it be possible to put humbuckers in my nubStrat, or would it be a waste?

Thanks in advance.
Humbuckers are like two singlecoils placed next to each other and they are generally a thicker sounding pickup with less hum.

Yes it would be possible to put humbuckers in. You'd have to change the pickguard but on the plus-side, if you look under the guard, if you have a Squier it's already routed for humbuckers.

However, with the amount of time youve been playing you should'nt worry about that and just play alot. Single coils can sound great in metal but look into pimping it if you know you're going to stick to guitar in the long term.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
you don't need humbuckers for metal, Kirk Hammett of Metallica has been know to use single coils. You should first figure out what type of wood youe uitar is made out of if it made out of hard wood or something like that it isn't worth moding
you're gonna get more static through a single coil. i wouldn't put humbuckers in a strat, it just looks and sounds bad. save a few bucks and buy maybe a schecter or an ibanez with Emgs.
Quote by A Musician
you don't need humbuckers for metal, Kirk Hammett of Metallica has been know to use single coils. You should first figure out what type of wood youe uitar is made out of if it made out of hard wood or something like that it isn't worth moding

So how do I figure that out? Can I see it?
Quote by Bodom's Child
So how do I figure that out? Can I see it?

Internet.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by A Musician

Doesn't he use EMG's? Active humbucker ones?...

threadstarter: u can put humbuckers into ur strat. humbuckers are pickups that are pretty much two single coil (what u have on ur strat) and are wounded in oposite directions to "buck the hum" (that's where the name "humbucker" comes in). Only problems are that u'll be needing to make a cavity (hole) on ur guitar so that it'll fit in it and change, if not cut, your pickguard. See a fat strat and that's what it would look like.

I recommend just saving up and getting a Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson (though they can be annoying cuz they tend to sound too high), or an ESP (if it's an ESP LTD, get a model 300 or over).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 5, 2007,
Quote by Charliesawesome
oh and esp's suck.

Trust me, ESP's don't suck. They actually have better worksmanship than Gibsons and are great. Lower-end model LTD's might be not too good though, but actual ESP's are some of the best guitars out there, particularly for metal.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Well in my opinion i think of both single coils and humbuckers as weapons of mass destruction. The single coil like an F-16 in the air and humbuckers as an M-1 A-1 tank on the ground. now they both kick serious ass but each one has its advantages. So i prefer the humbuckers in my opinion. but it all depends on ur opinion.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.