AHAHAH lol its good man. No we do not live in igloo's HAHHA. Do you know any funk scales though?
^^^ nice response...

anyway, alot of scales will sound good over funk such as your pentatonics, blues scale, dorian mode (over minor) etc.

but the thing is it really isn't about the scales, but rather how you play them and your phrasing. listen to alot of funk and you will see that the rythms are equally if not more important than the melodies
hmmmm...
it depends

i am not really good at explaining this sorta thing but in a way, yes

it's one of those things that you just sort of have to play with for a while and find what works for you. Maybe someone else could add their 2 cents??
hmmmm...
Funk has nothing to do with scales. I can make the Locrian Mode sound funky. Its all how you play.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
funk is about the rhythms

hook up with a drummer who knows what he's on about

lol saskatoon

how's the weather these days?
dude my drummers intense! But i told him about the hard funk idea he didn;t really go for it. I wish everyone could be as enthusiastic as i am in music. ^the weathers shitty like usual
meh we do pretty well (ottawa)

well if he doesn't like the funkin you'll have to convince him

but maybe you can still get him to show you some rhythmic shi
aiight, my drummers kinda a goofy kid, like me and him are the goofiest kids in our highschool. its hard to take him seriously cause hes such a goof so its hard to be upfront with him. I want to do what the band wants not what i want. Thats why when my bass player said funk i was like w/e HARD FUNK. But my drummer is what i need to maintain if he doesn't wanna be in my band then im screwed cause hes amazing.
words from Alberta saying listen to the Rasta man the one and only Bobby Marley, Reggae is essentially funk, same concept only play it major (not 7th) and more riffy fills, funk out or FUNK OFF!!
I don't recall the exact name of the scale , but the best way to explain it would be a mix of the major scale with some minor pentatonic notes in it as well. If you can recall the "Climb on the Magic School Bus!" riff, it is in this scale.

...raga maybe?

I will try to search and find it.
"Calling her a ***** for lame shows isn't exactly the most romantic thing in the world. Seriously buddy, try not to be so cute and funny, and just try to be romantic, because this is garbage.
I'd probably take a small amount of offense to this if I cared about being Jewish, but I don't.

Good intentions yeah, but expect either your heart to broken, or a slap in the face, because this song will end in disaster."
well i guess its more about the chords and rhythm, but you could try dorian, a pentatonic, or mixolydian.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Rythm first, once you got that and you cant think of which notes:

Use accidentals. In a song with a minor pent or blues scale feel, throw in NATURAL 3rds, great funk feel especially when you use the natural 3rd beside a b3.

Also for basslines you'll see that the most common notes used are Root, b7th, 5th, octave. Throw in the rest of the accidentals, make sure its mostly about rythmn, and you've got the funk.

If you're not good at offbeats, you're going to have trouble here. and i don't mean just beat 2 and 4, i mean the And's of beats.
Quote by TeenWolf
I don't recall the exact name of the scale , but the best way to explain it would be a mix of the major scale with some minor pentatonic notes in it as well. If you can recall the "Climb on the Magic School Bus!" riff, it is in this scale.

...raga maybe?

I will try to search and find it.

The Major Blues Scale.