Well i have been hearing about it everywhere and i have no idea what it is so.....
WHAT IS IT!!! I mean does it make u a better player? or what does it do????
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
theory is like learning about the concepts behind music like scales, keys, building chords, reading music, and more
it is necessary to learn basic theory to know about music and how to correctly play it
i fyou are a serious musician, you should learn some
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
It is not a physical object (lol). It is hard to describe. But, it is basically a universe of ways that musicians can express the dynamics in their music.

For example, note reading, scales, staccato, etc. Those are all parts of musical theory. Basic theory will help you improvise over whatever you hear (for the most part) and can let you show other people who know theory how to play something exactly like you or vice versa.

www.cyberfret.com Will help you a ton with guitar theory.

-Mike
Music Theory is the concept of music...

It wont help you be better better/faster player, it will help you become a better musician...

Really it just helps you with the logic behind music. Notes (Naturals, Sharps, Flats, etc), Time, Chords, Scales...
It may not seem very important, but it has really helped me with my understanding of playing
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
It makes you a better player, and if you are trying to write two guitar parts for a song, theory makes it much easier.
I'm a person.
Ok. Well ive been playing trumpet for two years and know many scales, how to read notes,how to read sharps/naturals/flats. so could that knowledge be transfered over to guitar?
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Trumpet can be Easily transferred to guitar. It is a really big deal to playing guitar and i'd say at least a 1/4 of your practicing should be sight reading and scales/theory. If you know theory and your friend doesn't, and you both play guitar, it would kind of be like all of those stupid kids at school that crowd around a strip of magnisium reacting with water and screaming "THAT'S SO COOL, LOOK WHAT IT DID", while the science teacher could have predicted it with some logic, and said "so what, that's what's supposed to happen." Which means that You don't need theory to play something cool or melodic, but if you want to understand what something cool or melodic is, you're going to need some theory.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station